Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door problems - electric

D

Dale Green

VIP Member
I have a LHD 2005 California - recently disconnected my battery to charge. Whilst battery removed, I manually opened the sliding door. Upon reconnection, door no longer opens and closes when operated from remote or button on dash. Also, the dash door status shows the sliding door constantly open and is preventing me locking the doors as the alarm keeps activating ( I guess thinking the door is open). I have checked fuses in dash, under drivers seat and engine compartment - all ok. Also checked that 12v at motor - this ok. Any ideas ? Sliding door control unit ? Pressure sensor in seal ?

One question. When battery was removed for charging,, what position was the door in when the battery was replaced? Open or Closed?

Hi - door was closed when removed and When replaced.

Hi and welcome to the wizzard California forum,
Seems now a days new members more and more seem not intrested in introducing theyerselves but to shoot Q's in the first posts....
Are we listed as VW helpline ....?

Hi and welcome to the wizzard California forum,
Seems now a days new members more and more seem not intrested in introducing theyerselves but to shoot Q's in the first posts....
Are we listed as VW helpline ....?
Why not :)

Better start charging the rates VW does than....

Easily overlooked but is the electric door disable button on? I seem to remember that battery dis/reconnection defaults this switch to on. Check the switch on the dash (this has happened to me!)

Thanks Fred. Checked this button - removed switch and physically checked switch position - no difference.

No error lights on dash. Just recently bought van and previous owner had control module replaced in July 2015. I'm based in the North East but thanks for the offer - will make some enquiries for VCDS.

If the control module was replaced by VW then it'll be under 2 yr warranty. I'd personally test it using VCDS myself first if possible before asking VW to diagnose tho as they charge for a diagnosis if it's caused by something else.

Many thanks WelshGas - this is really helpful !

Doesn't sound like the seal pressure /anti trap as think that would only prevent it closing.
Possibly it has forgotten what state its in due to battery disconnect. Bit like the one shot front windows need to be re taught where fully up and fully down are. Vaguely recall reading of a VCDS code/setting that needs to be applied if new parts are fitted to the door. Might be a trip to a dealer unless you know of someone with VCDS.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if this will help but on our first Cali we had a towbar fitted by a local company. Everything was fine except the electric sliding door which didn't open or close. After playing around with the coding (which didn't solve it) they found that it was fuse hidden under the starter battery which had to be removed to get at it.

Yes, on that PDF file it shows a 40amp fuse fitted near the battery in the engine compartment.

We've had this problem before, there is a thread on it. Seem to remember it's something like open and close the door with the ignition on, or some similar routine. Use the search function.

I was thinking the other day that this electric door open/closure feature is stupid; I tried to open the door which had frozen up and the electric motor was whirring away; I was expecting it to fail. I bit like the rain sensor turning on the wipers when they are stuck to the windscreen o_O

I don't know if this will help but on our first Cali we had a towbar fitted by a local company. Everything was fine except the electric sliding door which didn't open or close. After playing around with the coding (which didn't solve it) they found that it was fuse hidden under the starter battery which had to be removed to get at it.
But then the OP would be able to close the door manually, no?

Hi Welsh Gas(paul), any idea what is causing my door to stop closing halfway, and then returning to full open, could it be dirty solenoid contact?
Eventually I manage to get it closed using the dash button ,sometimes manually close.
I have just travelled 3000 kms, so must have collected the normal amount of dust and crud.
Just read some of the blog on this, I will try cleaning bottom rail, and second suggestion ,possibly resetting system with ignition on?? Then open/closing door.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, any idea what is causing my door to stop closing halfway, and then returning to full open, could it be dirty solenoid contact?
Eventually I manage to get it closed using the dash button ,sometimes manually close.
I have just travelled 3000 kms, so must have collected the normal amount of dust and crud
I had the same problem. VW dealer fixed under warranty. Apparently there is a software adjustment which changes the sensitivity of the door, mine was obviously too sensitive. If true it's got to be quicker and easier than having to get at the sensor/solenoid. Mind you if I ever do have to do any work on the door mechanism I will wire in a switch to kill the bleeper!

I had the same problem. VW dealer fixed under warranty. Apparently there is a software adjustment which changes the sensitivity of the door, mine was obviously too sensitive. If true it's got to be quicker and easier than having to get at the sensor/solenoid. Mind you if I ever do have to do any work on the door mechanism I will wire in a switch to kill the bleeper!
Thanks a lot Alec, I will probably end up taking "Alice" to the Vw garage, but will clean the areas first and see if any improvement, someone suggests turning ignition on, then opening and closing door? Its all worth trying!!
Tony

If you hold / pull gently on the outside handle while it is closing the anti trap sensor is inactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the same issue. Had the door adjusted by VW after hitting the rear wheelarch. Refuse to work at handover.:talktothehand

The bottom track is inverted. Run a clean rag over this area. Silicon spray helps but I wouldn't use grease. Seem to cure the issue for me.

If you hold / pull gently on the outside handle while it is closing the anti trap sensor is inactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This doesn't work on mine, pulling handle and blocking door, the door bounces back. Maybe a VW update!