Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door problems

M

mackem10000000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Morning people. Seeking advice on electric sliding doors on 2005 T5 please...I will attach VCDS scan results. I suspect wiring problems , but can anyone advise me where to start looking please.

20221204_164418.jpg

Taking the first fault on the list, I’d guess it’s referring to the CANbus link to the door module.
I’d start by finding the module , then identify the twisted pair of CANwires and check if there is any visible damage. The wiring diagram will give wire colours but, as stated, they should be obvious from the twisted pair configuration.

If there is no visible damage then you’ll need to test them. Unless you have an oscilloscope, this isn’t going to be easy.

Swapping out the body control module would be a simple solution.

The remaining faults I suspect are a function of the first.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what actually is the fault?

Door not opening?
Door not closing?
Stopping halfway?

Thanks for that sidepod. Door stopped working from the handle and key fob, sometimes half works if I keep the dash button pressed in , but the latching motor does not engage.....Do you know where I find the door module? I imagine it depends on the vehicle build..

Oh, I forgot to ask, what actually is the fault?

Door not opening?
Door not closing?
Stopping halfway?
One more question please. Is the left door controller the same as the right?

OK thanks again, will hopefully get onto it at the weekend. Oh dear, I've just seen the price of a new BCM

OK thanks again, will hopefully get onto it at the weekend. Oh dear, I've just seen the price of a new BCM
BCM's can be repaired, search Google.
Or buy a 2nd hand one, try Transporter Heaven.

BCM's can be repaired, search Google.
Or buy a 2nd hand one, try Transporter Heaven.
Thanks guys....Quick update in the hope it may help others with similar problem.....I stripped out the door control module yesterday and found it very wet and on opening, a couple of burnt out capacitors (pic below)....My plan today is to swap the control unit from the left sliding door as the left door is behind the sink unit and no use whatsoever ( converted from a minibus according to log book)

Thanks guys....Quick update in the hope it may help others with similar problem.....I stripped out the door control module yesterday and found it very wet and on opening, a couple of burnt out capacitors (pic below)....My plan today is to swap the control unit from the left sliding door as the left door is behind the sink unit and no use whatsoever ( converted from a minibus according to log book)

20221209_112328.jpg

Strange question, but can you wrap the modules in a plastic bag to protect them from water ingress or would that cause them to get hot or wet with condensation,

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for drivers electric sliding door on 2005 T5 2.5D please. (Cali conversion from mulivan)

Where did you find the door control module ? In the door?? In the side of the dash?

and is the body control module the same as door control module??

Last edited:
Where did you find the door control module ? In the door?? In the side of the dash?

and is the body control module the same as door control module??
The Door Control Module is located behind the offside rear panel trim. The trim by the bottle holder alongside the sliding bench.
The Body Control Module is a totally different unit and located behind the Dashboard above the brake pedal RHD.

Just pulled everything apart to try and find the door module following this T6 guide.
IMG_3891.png
It’s not there. Where is it?

I have this exactly where it should be
IMG_3885.jpeg

Door motor above. But nothing where the module should be.
1709401250991.jpeg
The whole space is full of what looks like a heater.

Anybody got a diagram for a 2008 California ??

Attachments

• vw-t5-2003-component-locations-eng 2.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Thanks
Do you feel you understand where that is?
I think it’s about the size of a matchbox.
View attachment 119940
My reading is under the D trim between rear side window and tailgate.

The trim panel below the rear side window covers the rear heater/ AirCon heat matrix and fan motor .

My reading is under the D trim between rear side window and tailgate.

The trim panel below the rear side window covers the rear heater/ AirCon heat matrix and fan motor .
IMG_3888.jpeg

I’ve fished with a torch all behind this panel. Tried to follow wires from the motor but didn’t go to anything resembling a black plastic box. Its absolutely full of heater.

IMG_4284.png

Last edited:
Well you’re making progress which is good. Relax, take a breather and start again. It’s in there somewhere. Perhaps check behind the C pillar.
If the A pillar is the windscreen, B is the front door slam pillar etc etc.

In other words, keep going till you find it.

I imagine you have found it by now, but just in case, mine was where you are looking but tucked behind the metal pillar just above the rear light cluster.

Thanks. I had another look yesterday but couldn’t see it.

I took it to an auto electrician today. He found it after taking out the heater. It had got wet and a couple of things had burnt out. Probably very similar to yours. They said a new module was £600 and 10 days wait but instead fixed it with other VW modules they had lying around.

Possibly the best garage experience I have ever had. Just really enthusiastic, confident and communicative.

Glad it’s fixed for our planned Easter trip.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had another look yesterday but couldn’t see it.

I took it to an auto electrician today. He found it after taking out the heater. It had got wet and a couple of things had burnt out. Probably very similar to yours. They said a new module was £600 and 10 days wait but instead fixed it with other VW modules they had lying around.

Possibly the best garage experience I have ever had. Just really enthusiastic, confident and communicative.

Glad it’s fixed for our planned Easter trip.
Great result! Could you please share the company details of who repaired it as it's always good to know who the competent ones are :)

I imagine you have found it by now, but just in case, mine was where you are looking but tucked behind the metal pillar just above the rear light cluster.
Did yours not get wet again then?

He couldn’t see where the water got in.

Back