Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door soft closing

D

deccauk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Have 2 days warranty left to report erratic soft close function. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. Is it worth flagging up with VW for warranty work, or will they be clueless and mess things up? Anyone had this problem and had it fixed under warranty?

Cleaning the copper contacts has negligible effect, so I am suspecting a problem elsewhere.

Yes always use your warranty. Is there not a bit of adjustment/setup for the contacts? it might just need a tweak to make it perfect. Are the door hinges tight?

You need to find a dealership who you trust. Sounds like you are not confident in your present dealership.

Put it down in an email to them for record.

If you need to escalate to VW UK then you'll need evidence and copies of your communications.

If you flag it, you at least have the option to get it fixed and effectively extend the warranty for that fault.

Have 2 days warranty left to report erratic soft close function. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. Is it worth flagging up with VW for warranty work, or will they be clueless and mess things up? Anyone had this problem and had it fixed under warranty?

Cleaning the copper contacts has negligible effect, so I am suspecting a problem elsewhere.
Believe it or not we got a call from our supplier a couple of days before collection to say they had just discovered the ‘soft close’ was not functioning on the side door. This was obviously not picked up on the PDI. Needless to say the problem was rectified with a new switch. You should definitely report it as it is a function you have purchased and is a ‘fault’.

Just booked it in for inspection. They immediately didn't seem very helpful!

Just booked it in for inspection. They immediately didn't seem very helpful!
I don’t know why they appear in helpful. This is the business they are part of, surely they get paid for parts and labour from VW or am I missing something?

I don’t know why they appear in helpful. This is the business they are part of, surely they get paid for parts and labour from VW or am I missing something?
I think dealers can end up out of pocket if they agree to do warranty work that VW don’t consider to be covered. Shouldn’t be a fight to get stuff sorted when you’ve stumped up for a premium vehicl.

I’m sure they’ll make up for any outlay further down the line. I’ll wager they rarely end up out of pocket. Cynical old me! o_O

Small claim value, the dealership has a bit of discretion.

Larger claim values, the dealership must get prior VW UK approval. So some form filling. Also VW UK may require old parts to be returned for inspection/testing.

The dealership perhaps knows how VW UK are likely to respond, and does not want to commit.

Again, I would consider changing dealership.

You can take your VW warranty claim to any van centre.

If you don't get it sorted under warranty, you're looking at the thick end of a £1100 bill, of which ~ £93 is for the new closing motor, the rest being labour. The job involves removing the rear seat, and the internal trim in the offside rear quarter. Mine was a 3 day job with VW Van Centre Scunthorpe. Good luck!

Mine was replaced in warranty. Only took around 4 hours, but they damaged the trim in the process and I had to go back to get a new trim fitted.

Back