Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door stuck

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have the fully electric sliding door on my 2007 SE and today I arrived home, opened the door to take my shopping out of the back, and the door refused to close again. It's been a bit reluctant lately and I've had to encourage it a little with my hand, but today it stuck solid and I couldn't get it to close or open, although it would open fully on the button. I'm not sure whether this is an electrical fault or a cable fault or something to do with the runners.
Had the AA out but he didn't really know much, said he'd never seen an electric door on a transporter and when I said it was a California he wasn't aware that they are factory built by VW. He didn't know what the problem was but at least he managed to get the door closed.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure whether to take it to my usual workshop or whether it's something only VW can sort, which will obviously be a lot more expensive!

I would think VW could work out what the problem is
quicker unless your usual workshop are fluent in electric sliding
doors.
There's some cables involved but it could be an easy electronic fix.

The workshop I use is the one favoured by the motorhome dealer where I bought the Cali - they sell a lot of VW campers including Calis but how many have electric doors I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. I'll just ask them, they'll tell me if I'd be better taking it to VW as they're never looking for work!

It's been suggested to me that the problem could be low battery. I tend to do mostly short runs, and the Cali has been standing for 3 weeks as I've had a hip replaced.
I feel it's unlikely because the van started with no problem, then was driven a couple of miles, stopped and started again, and it was only when I got home after that the door problem appeared.

Any idea if this cou;d be it? The motor definitely runs as the door starts to close then stops before it gets halfway.

It's been suggested to me that the problem could be low battery. I tend to do mostly short runs, and the Cali has been standing for 3 weeks as I've had a hip replaced.
I feel it's unlikely because the van started with no problem, then was driven a couple of miles, stopped and started again, and it was only when I got home after that the door problem appeared.

Any idea if this cou;d be it? The motor definitely runs as the door starts to close then stops before it gets halfway.
Have you tried operating the door with the engine running?

Sounds as if it could be a problem with the Sensor/Reader Coil as the door starts closing. This Sensor determines the position of the door. Part 13

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 16.30.35.jpg

Got the answer from the workshop earlier - it's the bottom roller broken. Had an 'OW MUCH??!! moment on the phone - £180 just for the part!

Had an 'OW MUCH??!! moment on the phone - £180 just for the part!
Everyone has had one of those moments.

If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen :)
or so they said at one time.

Apparently the electric door, which is a bit of a rare beast, has different running gear from the standard sliding door (why?) so it's probably not something they sell a lot of, which would make a difference I guess. And I've remebered that an ABS sensor for my old Nissan primers cost me £160 so that puts it in perspective a bit.

Turned out I misheard (or maybe the mechanic did) - part was £108 not £180!!!

Turned out I misheard (or maybe the mechanic did) - part was £108 not £180!!!
He probably said 108 quid, and you hear 180!

Well, let's face it. You can't keep damaging your 50k van for £108.
Well, you can, but I wouldn't do it.