Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door water ingress

JerryB

JerryB

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anybody else get water leaking past the sliding door?
Recently when parked on the drive after overnight rain I will find water on the roller area for the door probably a good cup full. Had the van for over 2 years never used to get this.
It doesn’t leak into the interior of the van.
Took the van into the dealers today, they did a water test & they said water seen at lower roller area normal for vehicle design.IMG_20200128_085037059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else get water leaking past the sliding door?
Recently when parked on the drive after overnight rain I will find water on the roller area for the door probably a good cup full. Had the van for over 2 years never used to get this.
It doesn’t leak into the interior of the van.
Took the van into the dealers today, they did a water test & they said water seen at lower roller area normal for vehicle design.View attachment 54785
Check that the water is not getting in through the sliding window then down inside the door through faulty drains (they should drain out under the fixed glass panel). Worth a look at numerous posts regarding leaking window on kitchen side. It’s the same dodgy window drain but less apparent.

Just had new window and door seal fitted
In that case I would definitely check the window drains are working. As you have probably seen from other posts the drains are prone to leak into the interior (even from new). Check the bottom of the door card for water, water could run down the inside of the card and out at the bottom onto the top of the door seal. I’ve had that happen on my drivers door.

Window drains are both Ok can see daylight down both of them.
Might get the hose out to today and do a water test to see if I can see anything.

I suspect your door seal is the issue then. Any water around the edge of the door should be stopped by the rubber strip on the door itself. The rubber seal on the body in your picture looks like it has correctly stopped the water between them.
Go around the 'inside' of the sliding door and check for any looseness, opening, tears and make sure it's clean. A spray with silicone oil may help as well. And make sure door is 'flat' fully closing all around by checking the door gap - incase they have not re-fitted the door fully flush.
A small amount of water there is possibly normal if there has been rain, especially if door has be opened or van driven, as long as it is below the inside lower seal.

Last edited:
Window drains are both Ok can see daylight down both of them.
Might get the hose out to today and do a water test to see if I can see anything.
Even if the drains are working and letting water flow outside they can be faulty and leak into the door. Inject water down the 2 drains in the sliding window channel. Worth a check.

I've had a similar thing happen about 3 times in nearly as many years. Seems to need the wind force and rain level to be just 'right' to create the problem.
Parked position has the door in a SSW exposure and Cali in a slightly nose down angle.

Done a water test this morning, I taped up the hole in the bottom of the door. (Which I think is a drain from the window)
Hosed down for about a minute when I opened the door half cup of water in the bottom.
So the water is coming in round the door seals.
Will try some silicone round the seals.

Not sure I'd have taped up the drain, rather tape around the outside of the window frame instead. Any sign of water on the black plastic drain channel beneath the sliding window inside?
The silicone spray won't eliminate such a bad leak...
You could try and dry behind the door seal all way around and then try some tissue paper, taped in place around, to try and identify the ingress point with another water test, if it isn't the window / drains.

It's been raining heavily today and on opening the sliding door I almost got very wet feet. Is this normal?

Check sliding window channel is clean and also drain hole is clear.

I say that as I had the same issue and since making that a routine cleaning operation haven't had it since.

Last edited:
It's been raining heavily today and on opening the sliding door I almost got very wet feet. Is this normal?
Yes, especially if your van is not level and slightly tilted towards the passenger side or to the front. Not yet been able to determine from where the water gets there though.

Thanks for replies. Window channel is clean and drain holes (2) are clear. I think water is coming from this door drain but just can’t see how it gets there.

87712818-DD94-4201-AEF2-0212923D4BE1.jpeg

Thanks for replies. Window channel is clean and drain holes (2) are clear.
Check sliding window channel is clean and also drain hole is clear.

I say that as I had the same issue and since making that a routine cleaning operation haven't had it since.
I am usually fastidious about cleaning so was surprised to see leak. Will be more careful and report.

Even if the 2 drains (integral to the window frame) are working there is a good chance that they are leaking. The plastic drain has for many years had a design/ manufacturing flaw which allows water to flow into the kitchen or sliding door.
Mine was fixed by replacement of the whole side window but that was the kitchen side. As it’s the door I would consider removing the door card and using a bore scope to have a look. Then, if it is the dodgy drain see if you can get some sealant up there.

Strange thing is I have only noticed it in the last few months. Cali is three years old with VW extended warranty to five years. Warranty claim?

You may well be right but it seems that water is definitely getting in on both the right and left hand side of the door suggesting the main door seal is at fault. I am also thinking it may have something to do with previous work for a replacement door unlocking unit carried out under warranty when the door card had to me removed and refitted. Anyway I am now booked in on 22 Nov with local VWCV dealership. Update to follow.

You may well be right but it seems that water is definitely getting in on both the right and left hand side of the door suggesting the main door seal is at fault. I am also thinking it may have something to do with previous work for a replacement door unlocking unit carried out under warranty when the door card had to me removed and refitted. Anyway I am now booked in on 22 Nov with local VWCV dealership. Update to follow.
I was going to say that amount of water is far, far more than I would expect from a leaking sliding window & would be looking at the door seal.

That's interesting. The dealership have seen my video and have said "wouldn’t say it’s “normal” but it’s definitely something we need to look at."

Back