Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door will not open from inside.

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I thought I was just weak but got my husband to try. We can not open the sliding door from inside, it is unlocked as it will open from outside. Any suggests please. T5 Beach manual opening not electrically assisted. Is there a child lock I have missed?

I thought I was just weak but got my husband to try. We can not open the sliding door from inside, it is unlocked as it will open from outside. Any suggests please. T5 Beach manual opening not electrically assisted. Is there a child lock I have missed?
There should be. Check the Handbook?

I found the child lock, tried it in both positions . That was not the problem it still does not open. I was hopping it was as simple as something getting switched but alas it looks more of a problem to sort. I have tried locking and unlocking from the lock inside by the driver's door. I have tried locking and unlocking with the key. I think the locking is OK looks like it may be something to do with the inside handle, it has always been a bit hard to open just thought I was weak.

I think it is because of the color of the van :cool: .

Jokes aside. If you dare, take off the trim of the sliding door. Try to see if any connection between the handle and the remote lock is blocked/jammed/disconnected.
Otherwise it could be the remote lock.

Once you opened the sliding door from the outside, can you then open it from the inside? Then it is the remote lock.
If you still can't open it from the inside after opening from the outside, there will be something wrong between the handle and the lock.

I suppose, of course.

I put my husband inside, he could not open the door, I opened it outside and closed again, he tried again inside and could not open it. So looks like not the lock but as you said maybe between handle and lock. Will think about it for a while as not keen on taking off the trim it looks hard to do. Maybe time to talk to a friendly garage.

As for the colour my husband speculated that it was getting hot in the sun, should have had white but not likely to be that as has been OK in the heat for 3 years. Mechanical sounds most likely but if anyone else has had the problem I would love to hear if there is a easy fix. I can always hope.

I think it is because of the color of the van :cool: .

Jokes aside. If you dare, take off the trim of the sliding door. Try to see if any connection between the handle and the remote lock is blocked/jammed/disconnected.
Otherwise it could be the remote lock.

Once you opened the sliding door from the outside, can you then open it from the inside? Then it is the remote lock.
If you still can't open it from the inside after opening from the outside, there will be something wrong between the handle and the lock.

I suppose, of course.
Thanks all suggestions welcome.

I once had the remote lock replaced, as the sliding door didn't open anymore, not from the outside nor inside.
But yours is a different problem.
Taking off the trims is not that hard.
Unscrew the screw behind the handle, take off the upper trims (the big one, and the little one around the handle). Just beware of the inside locking knob.
Then unscrew the screws on the underside of the under trim, take out the table, and pull off the lower trim.

Easy as that :cool: .

To refit everything, just the other way round.

Thanks all suggestions welcome.

Barbara, did you ever work out what was causing this?

Ours has just started doing the same and not that we're planning going away anywhere at the moment but it would be a pain if we were camping and we couldn't open the sliding door from the inside.

Here's hoping it's not a trip to the local dealership...

Simon

Barbara, did you ever work out what was causing this?

Ours has just started doing the same and not that we're planning going away anywhere at the moment but it would be a pain if we were camping and we couldn't open the sliding door from the inside.

Here's hoping it's not a trip to the local dealership...

Simon
We have not done anything yet. It only seems to not work if the door has got hot in the sun. You may wish to look at a different thread where someone has had the same problem.

We have not done anything yet. It only seems to not work if the door has got hot in the sun. You may wish to look at a different thread where someone has had the same problem.
Thanks for the link.