Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding drawer under the parcel shelf on an SE/Ocean

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Whilst away in Italy there was a T5 Cali SE pitched up near us and it had an awesome sliding drawer in the boot underneath the parcel shelf. It basically meant you didn't have to empty the whole boot to get to the things tucked away at the back and unlike the plastic storage box solution still gave you the full space. I never got the opportunity to ask the owner where is was from. Has anybody else seen these or know where you can get them?

Nothing new , seen it before on here.
Been posted on here also.
Some even showed thiere DIY also on here

On here : on the forum in other topic(s)

My searching resulted in me almost throwing the laptop through the window (again). The search functionality is weak, and yes I have seen the thread on searching. ;)

Can you share a link to the DIY please if you have it @hotel california - as you seem to be the only one who can search effectively on the forum. :thumb

I have had my eye on one of these but not found any UK supplier they are expensive and shipping just kills it. Anyone found a UK maker let us know.

Very nice. I presume with enough interest he would make one for the SE/Ocean?

Mike

Very nice. I presume with enough interest he would make one for the SE/Ocean?

Mike
The 2 Seater Beach variant might fit?

I just made this … already postet in may threads in here (sorry). But I am so happy with it :)

Hopefully we will produce a handfull up for grabs later this autumn …

IMG_3954.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not convinced about the usefulness of a fixed drawer here. In this space in my Cali I have four long plastic boxes, two collapsible boxes, the ramps, awning sides, water hose etc and If I need more room I slide the seat forward, push everything back and I can get a decent sized tent in there easily. If I had a fixed drawer I would have gained weight, lost space due to the shelf and running gear and lost flexibility. It can look very neat though.

I'm not convinced about the usefulness of a fixed drawer here. In this space in my Cali I have four long plastic boxes, two collapsible boxes, the ramps, awning sides, water hose etc and If I need more room I slide the seat forward, push everything back and I can get a decent sized tent in there easily. If I had a fixed drawer I would have gained weight, lost space due to the shelf and running gear and lost flexibility. It can look very neat though.

I am with you , a fix drawer weighs more and takes more effort to remove if you need to carry a big load.
When i am in France on a nice antique market , spot a nice cabinet that fits the booth, boxes in front of the bench seat and hop load in....

Also nice to see there are other treads showing up than found in the search function i provided.
There is soooo much info to find here , just swoop thru the forum and you find answers!

Think the most slide out drawers you see on the market are made for multivan and Beach as there is less or no storage than in a SE / Ocean.
If handy this can easy be done DIY.

I am with you , a fix drawer weighs more and takes more effort to remove if you need to carry a big load.
When i am in France on a nice antique market , spot a nice cabinet that fits the booth, boxes in front of the bench seat and hop load in....

Also nice to see there are other treads showing up than found in the search function i provided.
There is soooo much info to find here , just swoop thru the forum and you find answers!

I get your concerns, but its removable with only two screws, not very heavy and makes it much more easy to get the (heavy) things behind and underneath. For the same reason drawers are more popular that shelfs in a modern kitchen ;-)

I alter my setup often, depending of what I need the car for. A long holiday trip, a surf weekend with guys, a trip to the dump, picking up furniture for my daughter. The shelf is not welded into the car ;-)

@Kmann , when at home your thoughts on taking it out works , but once on a trip ...
I perfecty know how these drawers works as i had one in my LR Defender .
There is the pro of easyer acces but for me the contra of the extra weight and the loss of space is a no go . ( not even counting the cost of the system)
I just use three plastic boxes , shown in a other tread;)

@Kmann , when at home your thoughts on taking it out works , but once on a trip ...
I perfecty know how these drawers works as i had one in my LR Defender .
There is the pro of easyer acces but for me the contra of the extra weight and the loss of space is a no go . ( not even counting the cost of the system)
I just use three plastic boxes , shown in a other tread;)

I guess its all a question of our needs, and how we use our car …

I just made this … already postet in may threads in here (sorry). But I am so happy with it :)

Hopefully we will produce a handfull up for grabs later this autumn …

View attachment 15954
Wow, that is well made. You don't perhaps have schematics or any other information on how to build this, do you? I mean, I'm not sure I could, but would love to try and do this myself.

Wow, that is well made. You don't perhaps have schematics or any other information on how to build this, do you? I mean, I'm not sure I could, but would love to try and do this myself.

I posted this on the Danish Forum. Maybe you can use it, with a little help from Google Translate?

BTW we decided not to continue producing them, due to the fact that Calicab sells them as good value. So I am still just driving around with the prototype …

I posted this on the Danish Forum. Maybe you can use it, with a little help from Google Translate?

BTW we decided not to continue producing them, due to the fact that Calicab sells them as good value. So I am still just driving around with the prototype …

Thanks for the tip @Kmann I will register and try to learn what I can from the Danish forum. Would be satisfying to build it myself, even though buying the calicap drawer would be much easier ;-)

Thanks for the tip @Kmann I will register and try to learn what I can from the Danish forum. Would be satisfying to build it myself, even though buying the calicap drawer would be much easier ;-)

Will cost 3 times as much as doing yourself also.
Have a search been a few threads.
I’ve built 2 so far.

Hi Kmann, thanks for the tip. I registered at the forum and was able to translate the most important parts of the information. I have one question left; what is the thickness of the aluminium material you used? Was it 5mm?

Hi Kmann, thanks for the tip. I registered at the forum and was able to translate the most important parts of the information. I have one question left; what is the thickness of the aluminium material you used? Was it 5mm?
I think it was 3 mm

Back