Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Table problem

C

Calibang

VIP Member
Hi All

I had a search for my problem but couldn't find anything so wonder if this is unusual and some advice on how to fix it.

After using our slide out table (2019 Ocean 6) we couldn't collapse the table leg which normally 'snaps' into position ready to slide and lock into position so we can set off home. Had a look and appears the top of the bolt has sheered off (see photos which might help to explain better) so that the spring mechanism prevented it from snapping into position. We managed to get home by jamming the table, to avoid it banging away whilst driving.

First picture shows where the bolt head is missing/sheered off. Second picture is the other side, and I am guessing, how it should be?

The spring mechanism is pop riveted on, so I am guessing it can be replaced - drill out pop rivets, replace, and re pop rivet I am guessing. Our California is under 3 years old, so is this a warranty item or just bad luck/wear and tear.

Any advice greatly received. Thanks in advance.

Table1.JPG

Table2.JPG

I would guess it should be a warranty job and if so they will replace the whole table, although I think the missing bit is just a push on spring clip (like those on pram wheels). Can’t see how it could be argued that it’s wear and tear.

That is not a bolt head but a push on cap. It is held on with the pressure of sprung metal that grips in to the rod it is attached to.

They are called starlock caps.

Check these out on ebay - assuming that teh rod size is 6mm diameter. There are other sizes whould you need smaller or larger.

Thanks Alan.

Phew! I get some ordered if that is all it is. It did seem strange to me that a bolt can sheer off like that. I am surprised I've come across it on the forums.

Thanks Alan.

Phew! I get some ordered if that is all it is. It did seem strange to me that a bolt can sheer off like that. I am surprised I've come across it on the forums.
Make sure you measure the diameter of the table stay rod before you order. I'm guessing about 6mm but it might be different.

Just an update.

@Alan Andrews - thanks again, that was a life saver.

After measuring the diameter I thought it was nearer 5mm but it maybe 6mm - its hard to tell. I ordered some from this eBay seller (I couldn't find them anywhere else) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233521443534

Arrived today and fitted one - kept the rest as spares. Quite a tight fit, using some pliers to get them on - but I guess they have to be a tight fit to secure the bolt as it is sprung as part of the table mechanism. Table seems to be fine now, fingers crossed!

Thanks All

Just an update.

@Alan Andrews - thanks again, that was a life saver.

After measuring the diameter I thought it was nearer 5mm but it maybe 6mm - its hard to tell. I ordered some from this eBay seller (I couldn't find them anywhere else) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233521443534

Arrived today and fitted one - kept the rest as spares. Quite a tight fit, using some pliers to get them on - but I guess they have to be a tight fit to secure the bolt as it is sprung as part of the table mechanism. Table seems to be fine now, fingers crossed!

Thanks All
Well done. What did you fit, 5mm or 6mm