Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding window leak (-NOT a new topic!)

VIP Member
Just for the record my "no fault" score has been tarnished by the infamous leaky sliding windows. Sigh. The actual sliding bit does not look like a great fit (seems to fit badly at the base coming a way from the main frame) despite being used only once. Checked it was properly closed. Then it rained - a lot... I saw a weep so laid out kitchen paper along the edge which was wet the next morning. No surprise and I just need to say that after 10 years VW still cant get this fixed?! Yes, you heard it all before.....

Anyway, this is going to be fixed to become properly watertight no matter what it takes.
I am taking advice from Martin and SMG to just try replacing the sliding bit first as this seems to be a fix in many cases. If that doesn't work it will be a whole window job which doesn't really appeal.
I will let you know how I go on but dealer response so far has been all I would have hoped so a good start.

PS appreciate this is a repeat thread - just sharing the "joy"!!!

I was under the impression the whole window unit has to be taken out and a new one bonded in ..!!!
Give the rubber a good clean and bounce make sure the window runner is dirt free :)

choplee said:
I was under the impression the whole window unit has to be taken out and a new one bonded in ..!!!
Give the rubber a good clean and bounce make sure the window runner is dirt free :)

sometimes that seems to be necessary but a number of reports (looks like more then 50%) suggest that just changing the sliding part (with integral seal - well that is what they call it!) fixes the problem. Alex at SMG commented that they had quite a number of leaks fixed with this approach.Less hassle - thought it is definitely worth a shot. Worst that can happen is a revisit to the dealership and then they will have to do the entire frame.

I think that a while ago a few owners concluded that a smear of grease on the window seals was the pragmatic solution for this.

I also own a rag top merc sl and a tiny dob of Vaseline (smaller than a match stick head) in the right place about every 6 months stops an intensely irritating leak that appeared totally sealed to the naked eye. Based on my experience with he merc, a gap can be invisible and still allow water through.

I generally like proper solutions, not bodges using consumables. But I get the impression that the sliding windows in calis are just a bad design, so even if you change them I am not convinced that the replacement will be better and you in the risk of careless people damaging your van whilst they do the work. Mine have not leaked yet, but I reckon it is simply a question of time before they do.

Both my side windows leaked almost from new. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned and lubricated the seals.

We've had shocking wind/rain for months since and not a drop has got in.

I've bought a tube of silicon based grease so I can do it myself next time.

I agree with gatvol that the chances of replacement windows leaking in time is probably quite high as so many original windows leak. I'd try the clean/lube route first.

Only thing I'm not sure of is whether it's best to remove the sliding bit to do the clean/lube or try to do it in-situ. Maybe Alex (SMG) can comment?

Thanks for replies. Yes, i have read up on the application of silicon grease and have some on order as it certainly appears that this easy fix is often effective. I am only having the sliding part replaced on Tuesday and largely because looking at it the bottom front corner seems to not fit flush to the main frame. If i push on the bottom corner from the inside i think can feel the seal closing up - it certainly moves a couple of mm. Seems like there is a reasonable chance the slider frame is not able to run flush in the channel. Not impossible it is the main window frame but there seem to be many instances when a new slider including seal cure the leak. If that doesn't make any difference then i will try the smear of silicone and see how successful that is.
One thing - i cannot see any sign of drain holes. I know they are small but.... Van built aug 2013 so should have newest window mods already.
In the meantime i taped the window up to keep any water out which works 100% but looks very unsightly - so currently we have a £40k + vehicle stuck together with sellotape! Ridiculous.

I want to love my Cali, but the sad reality is that the build quality is amateur night at best. The wife is preventing me from selling it at the mo, but my head tells me to get out of this lemon.

If I get more issues with it, it will get sold. Bad window seals, corroding roofs, corroding wheels ....... This is 1980s fiat build quality. For this sort of crap one might as well have bought a cheapo conversion and accepted that the price included a few niggles.

So many people are having problems with these things when they are less than 3 years old, I shudder to think what the maintenance costs will be in the future. With vw laughing at us every time we need spare parts.

Unfortunately starting to feel the same about my Cali. Leaking windows, corroding front panel, fragile upholstery and a potential steering column problem in my case.

Some grim comments there.

For me the Cali is one of kind, there is nothing much to rival it and if you want a small very comfortable, well designed and drivable camper this is it.
It has it's flaws but so does pretty much any vehicle and I guess a camper is going to potentially have more as it is multi-purpose with extra equipment added to a base vehicle.
That said the issue with the roof paint is totally unacceptable but may, from what I read, reasonably be expected to be fixed and fixed properly. I would hope they will compensate owners for their inconvenience.
The absurd fault has to be the leaking windows - 10 years on and VW still can't fix it? I would love to hear their side of that issue - is a redesign really that expensive? Perhaps if every Cali, Kombi or other opening window equipped van owner decided they needed a new pair of windows it might be.... Probably should have fixed it sooner then?
However the damage to brand on this model is a real issue.

One thing tho, my Cali will not have leaking windows for long - they are going to be fixed to my satisfaction one way or another - or its solicitor time again.

Lets not forget all the stuff it does incredibly well.

Well after a bit of unexpected complications I have new sliding windows in.
Work was carried out by Hadwins in South Cumbria who to give them credit certainly went the extra mile on customer care. A very honest and determined outfit that I would recommend. How many mechanics really take ownership of a problem ? Not so many so good to have one nearby.
Dealership used VW Krytox sealant on the seals (as per one of the 18 VW bulletins!!!
So hopefully that is job done. BUT if I see anything beyond a drip then its back again till they definitely don't leak and let VW pay for their **** design.

Always good to work with a committed service centre so if you up North keep Hadwins in mind - real nice folk too.

Interesting that you used Hadwins as they are not far from me.
Why not the official Cali dealer in Preston, I.e. The Vw van centre?

The Preston VW Van Centre whilst able to supply Calis seems a lot more customer orientated to commercials whereas Hadwins are primarily private sales BUT are a commercial service centre also. I have been using them for years and have always come away feeling like they really care about the customer experience.
Give them a try?

My Cali beach just gone into Vw com preston this morning ,sliding window leaking already In touch 12.30 replacing complete window no messing about fixing stuff complete replacement
Ready tomorrow late afternoon bit of hassle tooing and frowing. But good service hope it works though got to have it re-tinted at my own expense though ? ;)

Just thank yourselves lucky you didn't buy a Land Rover Defender. Water leaks galour, so many infact that Land Rover have a 30 page Water Ingress Manual for the dealers to work through. Doors that don't fit, gear changes that would do an old Massey Ferguson tractor proud, a heater that makes a mockery of the word, BUT you buy it because it is a Defender, just the same as you buy a California because it is a California. If you just want a small camper then you can buy a conversion on a new chassis, but it's not a California. :bananadance

mark malaney said:
My Cali beach just gone into Vw com preston this morning ,sliding window leaking already In touch 12.30 replacing complete window no messing about fixing stuff complete replacement
Ready tomorrow late afternoon bit of hassle tooing and frowing. But good service hope it works though got to have it re-tinted at my own expense though ? ;)

I'd talk to VW customer services. If that was a sign written business van that had had warranty work which had affected the sign writing, they have a 'fund' to put it back to how it was pre-warranty work.

Simon

Where are you folks with the sliding window leaks?

My vehicle is not a Cali but suffers the same window leak problem. As yet it is not fixed despite fitment of the latest version of window. Yes VW have issued a new version of complete window in an attempt to fix the leaks.

There is a thread following others with the same problem here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=368623

Rod

Update on window changes...

There is a new version of complete window assembly available to dealers for warranty changes. At present I cannot provide part numbers but will as soon as possible.

I have had the left one (not a Cali so it's my sliding door side) changed for this new version, I'll keep you all posted as to the success (or otherwise) of this version.

After a week of ownership whilst exploring under the sink, as you do. I found water on top of waste water tank. After lots of investigating I have identified the source - The drain hole at the front end of the sliding window, not only drains to the outside BUT also inside. I used a syringe to push water through the drain and found as much water coming in as out. The fix is to have the whole side window replaced which SMG are doing next week.

I clean the seals and mating surfaces twice a year with warm soapy water then lubricate with vaseline which seems to keep the leaks at bay for me.

We used that krytox on the rubber seals on our vw eos worked well but expensive with a steel folding roof you can imagine how many bits there are to do

If you look back up this thread to January 2015 you will see that I had the latest version of the complete window fitted.You have guessed correctly, this leaks just the same as the older ones! The van goes in for further investigation next week but I'm not holding my breath.

A little dickybird tells me that the T6 is exactly the same as VW still fit the same unit. After all they only started production of these windows thirteen years ago and R&D is a very slow process!:rolleyes:

After a week of ownership whilst exploring under the sink, as you do. I found water on top of waste water tank. After lots of investigating I have identified the source - The drain hole at the front end of the sliding window, not only drains to the outside BUT also inside. I used a syringe to push water through the drain and found as much water coming in as out. The fix is to have the whole side window replaced which SMG are doing next week.
2 months on, despite replacing the whole window, not just the sliding part, the leak is back.Exactly the same problem, the drain doesn't do what it's meant to do. Looking at a previously removed window at the garage, the design of the drain should be pretty robust but looks to rely on a glued joint between the underside of the window slider track and an L shaped channel that forms the drain. I suspect the glued joint is failing.
Given that the window design will tend to let some water to enter its essential that the two drains work!

2 months on, despite replacing the whole window, not just the sliding part, the leak is back.Exactly the same problem, the drain doesn't do what it's meant to do. Looking at a previously removed window at the garage, the design of the drain should be pretty robust but looks to rely on a glued joint between the underside of the window slider track and an L shaped channel that forms the drain. I suspect the glued joint is failing.
Given that the window design will tend to let some water to enter its essential that the two drains work!

That is exactly how mine were and still are, here is the front drain on a left window, there is another just the same in the centre of the window slide, mine is a RHD van with left sliding door hence the door release being visible in the picture.

picture.php

As you say there will always be occasions when water passes the rubber seals and needs to escape to the outside via the drain passages, these seem to be the failure point in almost every case.

That is exactly how mine were and still are, here is the front drain on a left window, there is another just the same in the centre of the window slide, mine is a RHD van with left sliding door hence the door release being visible in the picture.

picture.php

As you say there will always be occasions when water passes the rubber seals and needs to escape to the outside via the drain passages, these seem to be the failure point in almost every case.
That's the culprit !
Unfortunately in the California there's no way of accessing the underside of the track and viewing the dodgy drains. If there was I would be inclined to try some sealant.
I would suggest owners check the rear of the under sink cupboard as the water runs down the side panel and drips over the waste water tank.
SMG are raising the issue with VW.

Back