Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slightly Disappointed

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After just over a week with our new Cali Beach Cherry Red, I am a little disappointed :( with the ride/ suspension of the van. I guess I didn't expect it to be so Van like given its a T6, and expected it to be a bit more refined. This could also be that the van is empty, and I hoping will settle down when fully loaded. Or is it just not great on the road, and I have to accept its not car like in its on road driving. I also have bad rattles and I just can't find where they are coming from. Its going to be out daily driver. I guess I have to get used to the idea that its a camper at heart, and has it uses as an everyday car, but its really a camper at the end of the day. I also seem to be getting a noticeable tyre noise for our new winter tyres especially around 110 KPH. Ill be talking to the dealer about it.
I look forward to the spring and the chance to use the van for camping, where Im hoping it will shine.

Ours is much older so doubtless more van like than yours. It’s a heavy van. No getting away from that. We use a cheap Aygo for s run around. Costs next to nothing. I just woke up in a free parking spot in beautiful sunshine frosty morning a couple of miles from the Kendal film festival, popped the heater on, made a brew, logged in here, probably go for a bike ride after breakfast. Get it used, you’ll see the compromise is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavy duty anti-roll bars and VW fitted 30mm lowering springs made a huge difference to the ride with my T6 Cali. Much more planted on the road and far less roll on corners etc.

Don’t lose heart, its a big vehicle, not a sports car :) Mine is my daily driver and I wouldn’t change it for the world, its awesome.

Cant comment on the tyres I’m afraid, I’m sure others on here will be able to advise.

Everybody I know with a T4 onwards claims 'it drives like a car'.
One of them let me drive his and well......frankly it drove like a van, an old van at that. That was the 130 manual.
I also tried the 140 manual which is very popular as you probably already know just from this forum alone.
To me, it was fine when rolling fluently but I never relished T junctions and those short shifts from 1st to 2nd with a bit of roll chucked in as well.
Then I hired a T6 DSG Ocean and almost all the woes were gone. Not as stiff as I would like on roundabouts etc but almost there. I suspect I'm more attuned to automatic gearboxes these days and that had an effect on my perception.
So as you allude to in your post,it's all about expectation and I guess some evolution.
I'm half convinced that when mine is out of warranty I will be remapping the engine and stiffening the anti-roll bar.
I hope you get used to its ride and push the fact its not a car ride out of the equation. :thumb

Last edited:
Get it lowered, you will be amazed at the difference it makes

We've been driving a fully loaded Beach around Europe for nearly six months.

It's a dream on fast roads, but come to road humps or hairpin bends it needs nurturing.

We love it, it is our home for a year.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I've said it before but I think it's worth saying again. It depends on what you're used to. I traded up from a Nissan van, so to me the ride is way better. Think it helps to drive it like a boat, rather than a go-cart too! Weirdly, I did not enjoy the test drive in the Beach, was a bit sea sick in the back. Find it great now it's my daily drive. Settle into it...

I've said it before but I think it's worth saying again. It depends on what you're used to. I traded up from a Nissan van, so to me the ride is way better. Think it helps to drive it like a boat, rather than a go-cart too! Weirdly, I did not enjoy the test drive in the Beach, was a bit sea sick in the back. Find it great now it's my daily drive. Settle into it...
I agree, do the chaps who want no roll on corners/s bends ever carry rear passengers, the bench is obviously absolutely flat so the poor souls there just sway about with little to hang onto.
Children are OK in their car seats but if any adults are there I almost drive as if there was a glass of water on the bonnet. Granny would approve, perhaps not the press on BMWs following me.

This class of vehicles is designed to carry loads so set up is designed for that. Agree with james bell regarding rear seat passengers but loose cushions do help improve matters greatly.

It's basically a van with springs and shock absorbers etc designed to cope with relatively heavy daily loads. If you drive it empty, the standard Beach or any other similar vehicle can sometimes appear a little harsh as lightly loaded suspension is less pliant. Pot holes and poor road surfaces can be amplified in the vast interior space. The ride improves significantly when you have more weight onboard.

Having said that, whilst I became aware of this issue when we first collected our Beach it doesn't bother me and I no longer really notice it that much. The Beach drives very well indeed and I would echo those that say that it drives like a car. In my experience, the Beach is a fabulously versatile vehicle that is superb at what ever you ask it to do. I once owned a Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign which had the best suspension and ride I have ever experienced in a modern vehicle but you couldn't camp in it, sleep comfortably in it, move house with it, use it as a beach hut or a mobile picnic pavillion, or carry seven adults in it etc etc. So I personally am not that bothered as nothing is perfect but the Beach comes very close.

You shouldn't have rattles. See your dealer and insist they are rectified.

Last edited:
Ref tyre noise. Winter tyres are by design noisier than summer tyres.
Have a look on the site below and see the Eu tyre label information then look up your tyre Brand and tread design to see the noise figure, compare to other brands and summer tread ones to clarify differences.
1dB is quite a lot in audible terms.

https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling/tyre-label

You may recall hearing Land Rovers and military vehicles singing tyres from a distance. An extreme example.

Hi.there are a few people who do over rate the ride and drive of these vans for sure. But as the above posts point out the chassis base is that of a van which is designed to carry loads. More weight will improve the ride, and unless it is snowing or below zero you really dont want to driving on winter tires. Not only do they make a lot of noise but they will effect the ride and are just not designed for use above zero. Car like, they can never be, but with improvements a ride better then a standard van is possible.F

Agree totally with this comment. I moved from Volvo XC60 so the slight rock and role ride doesn't bother me. I have the heavy duty anti roll bars but I will not be lowering.

Comments like the one above just make forum a total waste of time. There is always some dead heads making plain unhelpful,not funny useless posts and thinking its clever. These people need to just grow up.F

Comments like the one above just make forum a total waste of time. There is always some dead heads making plain unhelpful,not funny useless posts and thinking its clever. These people need to just grow up.F
I think there are just too many gown-ups on this forum who dont seem to appreciate a good funny comment. Admin - can we have section called irony free zone where the grown ups and can go and bore each other senseless with their wet dog stories

I'm also disappointed .... I've just bought a Ferrari only to find out that it has no bed , cooker , fridge or seating for five !
Im sure Ill get used to it. Having driven cars all my life I guess its always going to be a learning curve. I love the van though and its not lost on me the potential for good times ahead. I just expected it to be a bit more refined. Ive never owned a fast car, my last car was a VW Caddy so Its not like Im expecting it to be a sports car.

All the best

Last edited:
Im sure Ill get used to it. Having driven cars all my life I guess its always going to be a learning curve. I love the van though and its not lost on me the potential for good times ahead. I just expected it to be a bit more refined. Ive never owned a fast car, my last car was a VW Caddy so Its not like Im expecting it to be a sports car.

All the best

I think as others have mentioned, it will ride better once weight is added. I hope you get to love it and have great times in it.

Disappointed? Not me!! Had my Cali since February this year. Yes, I tracked down a few rather annoying rattles, especially the awning early on, and have now had 73 nights spent in it and visited 8 European countries and covered just over 9000 miles and use it for my daily driver too. I've had BMW's etc over the years and still have a Z4 in the garage which I use if I want a sports car experience but for sheer versatility it's a no contest against any vehicle I have previously owned. No I'm not disappointed.

Our T6 was much smoother once we had reduced the tyre pressures to the minimum recommended, from the ridiculously high pressures at delivery. Also we would recommend avoiding low profile tyres on large diameter alloys if you want a smooth ride. Interested in the post which suggested lowering the van, surely this results in a stiffer, harder ride? The rattles can be sorted, ours is now largely rattle free, the most likely rattles are perhaps the table stowed in the door, the arms within the awning casing, the awning itself, items in the under seat drawer and the rear window blind. Don't be discouraged, our T6 is now as quiet as our Mk 7 golf !

Our T6 was much smoother once we had reduced the tyre pressures to the minimum recommended, from the ridiculously high pressures at delivery. Also we would recommend avoiding low profile tyres on large diameter alloys if you want a smooth ride. Interested in the post which suggested lowering the van, surely this results in a stiffer, harder ride? The rattles can be sorted, ours is now largely rattle free, the most likely rattles are perhaps the table stowed in the door, the arms within the awning casing, the awning itself, items in the under seat drawer and the rear window blind. Don't be discouraged, our T6 is now as quiet as our Mk 7 golf !
Ill try hat with the tyre pressure. As I said I really love the van and the lifestyle. I just need to get used to it. Thanks for your ideas.

The Cali & Beach are lifestyle vehicles and are outstanding in providing a solutions to the chosen lifestyle of most on here. The vehicle has been adapted from a base model that just happens to be a high end mini-bus, SUV or people carrier, call it what ever suits your lifestyle.

I find it totally unbelievable that anyone would spend upward of £50,000 without test-driving the vehicle first. I think all new owners will experience some form of doubt about such an investment. However once using the vehicle those doubts are quickly diminished. The trade off between quality of ride against quality of life is a no brainer.

The Cali & Beach are lifestyle vehicles and are outstanding in providing a solutions to the chosen lifestyle of most on here. The vehicle has been adapted from a base model that just happens to be a high end mini-bus, SUV or people carrier, call it what ever suits your lifestyle.

I find it totally unbelievable that anyone would spend upward of £50,000 without test-driving the vehicle first. I think all new owners will experience some form of doubt about such an investment. However once using the vehicle those doubts are quickly diminished. The trade off between quality of ride against quality of life is a no brainer.
Thanks. I did test drive one, but its was just a normal test drive, and not for hours or overnight. Yesterday I did a 400K round trip for the first time. So really it was my first experience over a longer period. It was a little disappointing and coupled with tiredness and those rattles which I seem to have cured, I guess it added up to a bit of a moan. I still love the van, and Im sure it will get better with time.