Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small drive away awnings

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I currently have a vango cruz 2017 low drive away awning, but i'm finding it way too big for our needs, two adults and two cocker spaniels

Looking to replace it with a Vango Palm drive away air awning or a Kampa travel pod trip air VW, has anyone had experience of these awnings

Last edited:
I currently have a vango cruz 2017 low drive away awning, but i'm finding it way too big for our needs, two adults and two cocker spaniels

Looking to replace it with a Vango Palm drive away air awning or a Kampa travel pod motion air VW, has anyone had experience of these awnings
Hi we ordered the palm last week and returned it. We have three dogs and in the palm they could easily escape under the toggle ground sheet. Not secure at all for dogs. The material was crispy and not great but ok. It is fairly high but small for a couple. We had it up in 15 minutes. The pack size was just under half the bottom boot space but light enough for me to carry. We bought the jura instead absolutely perfect for the two of us and three dogs. The material is soft and lovely to touch, fully sewn in ground sheet, two doors with fly screens, no escaping dogs. So glad to send the palm back l would rate it about 4 the jura is a ten lol

Hi we ordered the palm last week and returned it. We have three dogs and in the palm they could easily escape under the toggle ground sheet. Not secure at all for dogs. The material was crispy and not great but ok. It is fairly high but small for a couple. We had it up in 15 minutes. The pack size was just under half the bottom boot space but light enough for me to carry. We bought the jura instead absolutely perfect for the two of us and three dogs. The material is soft and lovely to touch, fully sewn in ground sheet, two doors with fly screens, no escaping dogs. So glad to send the palm back l would rate it about 4 the jura is a ten lol
Thanks for the fed back on the Palm, the Jura like the Idris and Kela are 3.7 m long which is only 0.5 meters smaller than my Cruz.
Pity about the Palm as it 2.75 m size would of been an ideal size for us.
We are not looking to sleep in it or use as kennel. Mainly for storage

Thanks for the fed back on the Palm, the Jura like the Idris and Kela are 3.7 m long which is only 0.5 meters smaller than my Cruz.
Pity about the Palm as it 2.75 m size would of been an ideal size for us.
We are not looking to sleep in it or use as kennel. Mainly for storage
For storage would be fine.

Looking to replace it with a Vango Palm drive away air awning or a Kampa travel pod trip air VW, has anyone had experience of these awnings
These are the two we are considering ... did you purchase one ?

These are the two we are considering ... did you purchase one ?
Yes, we purchased a Vango Palm, find it fabulous for our needs.
Big enough to siting in when we have evening meal on a warm evening.
Good for storage but don't use it as a kennel, ground sheet is clipped in but does allow a determined cocker to get out if not on lead20190710_143327.jpg

Good for storage but don't use it as a kennel, ground sheet is clipped in but does allow a determined cocker to get out if not on leadView attachment 47457
Colditz could not keep a determined cocker in.

Good for storage but don't use it as a kennel, ground sheet is clipped in but does allow a determined cocker to get out if not on leadView attachment 47457
thanks for that review, we had kind of decided on the Vango Palm... sounds exactly what we’ll use it for too and our black lab won’t be ‘kennelled’ in it just chilling with us .... I see from your pic that it’s on the RH behind driver and RH sliding door ,as in all the pix online it’s on LH side ! we’ve fitted an anchor on floor rail so can fix dog to that when awning back open thru to sitting area .. many thanks you’ve reassured us .

The Vango Palm has two doors in the tunnel but Kampa travel pod trip air only has one, which would be at the front when attached to a California.

Hi do you have any photos of the Jura attached to your Ocean you could share? :)

The Vango Palm has two doors in the tunnel but Kampa travel pod trip air only has one, which would be at the front when attached to a California.
sorry about this.. another wee question : the forum shop suggested the 6mm x 6 mm Kador kit for us ... we will be using the 'wind out awning 2 inches, attach Kador ... then figure 8 to Kador , lastly figure 8 to Vango awning....some posts have said 6mm x 4mm Kador kit ... long convoluted question which did you use ?

I don't use a kador webbing strip at all, just clip the plastic figure of 8 straight on to top edge of wind out awning

Vango Palm arrived today.... we pitched it in the garden, "phew" took us a while and a hot sun beaming down whilst dog ran around us attempting to help !
A few wee issues some of you might help resolve :

there are several 'circular loops' around the ground level - what are these ?

after opening the front window up, how is it held up / flap held up , there are two strips with Velcro tabs but doesn't seem to work... is the 'fold up flap just pushed up and held at each side inside upper fold ?

we were in garden so not actually attached to van but we checked the Kador kit attached to van separately and fit OK (6mm x 6mm)

Are there 4 circular loops, one in each corner, if so thats were the ground sheet is secured with toggles

The velcro above the front window is for a vent stays, you can roll the window all the way up and there are two loops with toggles on, can be difficult to see

Are there 4 circular loops, one in each corner, if so thats were the ground sheet is secured with toggles

The velcro above the front window is for a vent stays, you can roll the window all the way up and there are two loops with toggles on, can be difficult to see
thanks, the plastic circles (with a part rubber overlay ) aren't for the groundsheet ... we found the corner groundsheet attachments on the inside section.... these are in the areas adjacent to the 'peg fixing buckles' not all the way around just in two or three places !

Are they the extra securing for the openings

Hi do you have any photos of the Jura attached to your Ocean you could share? :)
Hi yes we had it up at the weekend. Having three pups we need something that is good to let them chill out in. After a long day travelling they love a good roll around. I have slept in it also with them, great ventilation and nice and secure. As dog owners always looking for solutions, love giving them freedom from leads, tie outs and harnesses.

20190714_084608.jpg

20190714_084533.jpg

Hi yes we had it up at the weekend. Having three pups we need something that is good to let them chill out in. After a long day travelling they love a good roll around. I have slept in it also with them, great ventilation and nice and secure. As dog owners always looking for solutions, love giving them freedom from leads, tie outs and harnesses.

View attachment 47627

View attachment 47628
Absolutely agree ours are used to a lot of freedom. Looks just the job :) thanks for the photos

Are they inside the awning? If so they could be where you attach a bedroom inner tent?
no they are on the outside ...think next time we pitch the awning I'll take a picture !

well 4th trip in BB and 1st trip with the Vango Palm ... hope we’ve got it well pegged5D45C8DF-FA31-4A12-8D83-73D22B8336C7.jpeg5D45C8DF-FA31-4A12-8D83-73D22B8336C7.jpeg

happy with our Vango Palm ... but does anyone know what the 'strip of groundsheet'' included in the bag is ?
it's about 1 metre wide x 3 metres long with a V shaped cut out on the centre edge..
we thought it might be for the 'tunnel area' between the van and the awning ... but not sure !