Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small running race won

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Only a local running race but after my little boy won his pre school run, me and the missus did the 3.5 mile "fun" run with about 270ft of ascent. Both of us don't really do road running so pacing is really tricky (we run coast paths most of the time). Managed to win it in 20m46s and finally got an official sub 6m/mile average (5m56s). After spending last year doing no races due to a completely wrecked immune system, it felt good! The missus was 14th out of 60. Not bad either. I then won a keg of ale (Doom Bar) in the raffle!

Comedy wind out of sails moment afterwards; two teens were asking who won. Their mate said "some old bald guy" doh!!!

:goodone :clap :clap

Pacing for short races can be harder than for the longer ones. Short ones you have got to hit your pace straight away where as half mara you can start conservatively and make up time in the 2nd half if feeling OK. Sub 6 min/mile always good. Even better to get a keg of Doom bar at the end :D
Going back many years since I windsurfed where that got its name from.
Well done from another runner who has been described as the old balding guy by teens.

I lead our running club 10k race yesterday for the whole course and then pulled in to let someone else take the win......but then I was the lead bike :D

owen_h said:
:goodone :clap :clap

Pacing for short races can be harder than for the longer ones. Short ones you have got to hit your pace straight away where as half mara you can start conservatively and make up time in the 2nd half if feeling OK. Sub 6 min/mile always good. Even better to get a keg of Doom bar at the end :D
Going back many years since I windsurfed where that got its name from.
Well done from another runner who has been described as the old balding guy by teens.

I lead our running club 10k race yesterday for the whole course and then pulled in to let someone else take the win......but then I was the lead bike :D

Only done two other road races, one 10k, one 5k; on the latter I got my pacing totally wrong and was wiped out by 3k! Done a few trail 10k races and runs as part of a tri.

My wife's grandad built the Sharps brewery units a while back! We live pretty near the Doom Bar; lived up to its name a few weeks back when a classic old fishing boat got smashed up on it; still debris everywhere from it!

Love running the coast paths here but some are a bit evil.

Do you still run much?

One of the main reasons I got the Cali was for comfort at all the various running, triathlon cycling and hopefully a return to windsurfing events. Training seems to have taken a bit of a back seat with sorting out the kitchen pod but now that’s finished I can get back to a bit of normality and up the mileage to get back on form.
I lead one of the coaching groups at Southampton AC, unofficially known as the ‘mad events group’ as we usually go for the trail type events. A trail half marathon would be my favourite type/distance. Last year did Jungfrau marathon which was fantastic (and tough!).
I can imagine the coastal paths near you are rather evil. Family holidays as a kid were often around the N Cornwall coast staying at a small caravan/campsite up the Camel estuary from Padstow. That was all before a certain chef bought the area.

Sounds like proper stuff! I've done a few tris (somehow won a fully off road sprint one in 2009!) but want to bag some more.

Love trail stuff but not much of it around race-wise. I'm doing this in August; just the 11miler!

http://mudcrewevents.co.uk/event/rosela ... -rat-2013/

I got told I look like a fell runner yesterday; not sure if that's a good thing or not but I took it as a compliment!

Any events imminent for you?

No running events imminent but I am off to do some of the Tour of Wessex (2 of the 3 days) bike event this weekend. It will be the first time camping in the Cali :D
There are a few triathlons I’m entered in, short sprintish one at Lymington and the main focus for the year is a middle distance one in Austria at the beginning of Sept. http://www.challenge-walchsee.at/index.php?id=157&L=1
Also doing a weeks cycling in the Pyrenees July time and should find some running races to fill in the gaps, preferably half marathon trail distance. That coastal path one looks ‘interesting’ especially the 100k option !! :shocked

Good to see another active member on here!

Will be surfing, running and sea swimming on our month away. Can't wait!

Back