Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

smelly sink on T6 ocean

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
does anyone have T6 ocean ?
i noticed that with the warm weather it smells and i have to keep emptying it.
The odd thing is that there is no "trap" on the sink to stop the smells and it looks like it is supposed to have one as there is a U shaped channel in the tank that is the size of the sink waste. but the waste goes straight into the top of the tank
see pic

IMG_20190905_103801.jpg

I really notice it when you leave site and open the window whilst driving. The obviously sucks the air out of the van (and out of the tank!). Taken to leaving the plug in whilst driving now. Been meaning to fill up the tank with a mild bleach solution to see if that solves it/

The later T5s had a different drain layout that was supposed to fix this issue. There were lists on here of the replacement parts to diy to earlier models. Perhaps it's been dropped to save 12p?
[edit] I had a senior moment. This mod was to speed up the emptying of the sink, which was really slow. Nothing to do with smells.

Last edited:
If the pipe is long enough, you could form a U bend innit.
I think that's what mine is, a U bend formed with the pipe.

If the pipe is long enough, you could form a U bend innit.
I think that's what mine is, a U bend formed with the pipe.

that was my thought, but it is still under warranty, its not so much the smell thats the issue, but the fact the wife never stops complaining about it.

Put a bit of washing powder down the sink works in ours.

That doesn't look correct to me. If you look at the waste tank there is a 'U' in it where the ribbed waste pipe is supposed to go to firm a 'U' bend.

Well, that is how it is on mine.

Without the U bend you are just getting the stench vent back into your van .

The odd thing is that there is no "trap" on the sink to stop the smells and it looks like it is supposed to have one as there is a U shaped channel in the tank that is the size of the sink waste. but the waste goes straight into the top of the tank
see pic

View attachment 49945
Mine is exactly like yours. No U shape either.

couple of campden tablets in hot water for a few hours should do the trick

On a related note, soon after we got our (non-Cali) van, we were emptying both our fresh and grey-water tanks at a campsite and got chatting to our friendly neighbours. We told them we were new to this game, and they admitted that they had guessed as much, because we were draining the two tanks separately.

A much better way, they said, was to turn the tap on and empty the fresh water by pumping it through the waste water tank, which keeps everything fresh. I’ve done that ever since. (I don’t let the pump run dry, so there’s always a little bit to empty from the fresh tank, but I can do that in any kerb-side gutter without feeling guilty!)

It’s a little while since I’ve used a Cali so I forget how things are different there, but this seems to work well for us (though perhaps reducing the lifetime of the pump a bit!)

That doesn't look correct to me. If you look at the waste tank there is a 'U' in it where the ribbed waste pipe is supposed to go to firm a 'U' bend.

Well, that is how it is on mine.

Without the U bend you are just getting the stench vent back into your van .
is yours a similar sort of pipe ?
it looks like they stopped putting the U section in to save 6 inch of plastic pipe
guess thats how they keep the Calis so cheap to buy !

it looks like they stopped putting the U section in to save 6 inch of plastic pipe
Mine is a bit older, so I guess that makes sense, those 20p's add up!!!!

A much better way, they said, was to turn the tap on and empty the fresh water by pumping it through the waste water tank, which keeps everything fresh. I’ve done that ever since. (I don’t let the pump run dry, so there’s always a little bit to empty from the fresh tank, but I can do that in any kerb-side gutter without feeling guilty!)
Never heard that discussed before and feels rather wasteful of battery and time. I don't think there is anything amateurish about draining the clean water tank via the lever in the gas locker.

Never heard that discussed before and feels rather wasteful of battery and time. I don't think there is anything amateurish about draining the clean water tank via the lever in the gas locker.
I just pour a bucket of water down the sink when draining.

I just pour a bucket of water down the sink when draining.

Yes, that would also make sense, at least if there's one handy wherever you're doing the draining. I have a lay-by just around the corner from home where I can park with my outlet right above a drain, so that's my usual stopoff after a weekend away!

Never tried this, but told by motorhomer to put bottle cheap coke down drain and leave while driving for an hour or so and then release. Supposedly spotless tank afterwards.

Are you sure that the plug hole doesn’t incorporate a trap? My T5.1 looks identical and definitely does. I confirmed that it was there by pouring a bucket full of water down the sink, then when the sink had drained opening the drain. I could see and hear the water in the sink waste gurgling as it was sucked back into the waste tank. The part number ...7E7 068 167.

Unless you are putting anything you shouldn't it should not smell!

see pic

View attachment 49945
This is what it was like, and as you can see the Waste pipe Part 12 fits in the “U” shape on the Waste Tank, BUT what is that large White/Cream object in the top of the picture, under the sink? Looks too big for the Sink Drain connector.
CE3A6836-C013-4799-AC95-23F43844DB74.jpeg

This is what it was like, and as you can see the Waste pipe Part 12 fits in the “U” shape on the Waste Tank, BUT what is that large White/Cream object in the top of the picture, under the sink? Looks too big for the Sink Drain connector.
View attachment 50056
If its the same as mine the cream thing is the underside of the sink plug hole, with the trap incorporated, item 5
1567871956259.png1567871956259.png

Of course even clean water when stood will smell especially in heat. We have a wet room at home where the shower often doesn't get used for a while with same problem. Put a cup of bleach down that but in the camper I use Zoflora disinfectant. I also prefer to use it in the top tank of the porta potti than the elsan type

If its the same as mine the cream thing is the underside of the sink plug hole, with the trap incorporated, item 5
View attachment 50057
It just looked much bigger in the original photo. But that Part 5 is described as An Angle Connector rather than a Self Sealing water trap.

Back