Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

snow chains.

R

Roger Evans

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone fitted snow chains to a Cali 4 x 4 ( T5 4 motion) with 235/17 inch wheels ? Is there enough clearance between chain and bodywork ? And chains to just front wheels or all four ?

The handbook seems to suggest that only 16 inch wheels can be fitted with snow chains.

Thank you all very much for your help in advance.

We have fitted chains to our 4Motion with 17in wheels without any problem. However we have snow tyres on which are 215/60/17 so a narrower profile. You could always use snowsocks as they only add a few mm to the width of the wheels.
Never had to use chains on the rear, always been OK with just the front.
If I get chance I'll pop a chain on and see how much spare room there is.

Gosh!!!! Just bought two pairs for my 4motion and not yet tested them!!!!!! now I'm panicking!!!!!

We have fitted chains to our 4Motion with 17in wheels without any problem. However we have snow tyres on which are 215/60/17 so a narrower profile. You could always use snowsocks as they only add a few mm to the width of the wheels.
Never had to use chains on the rear, always been OK with just the front.
If I get chance I'll pop a chain on and see how much spare room there is.
That's very kind of you. thank you

I think it is front wheels only for the snow chains

Mine is not 4 motion, but the same van body surely, I have 18 inch wheels ,
And there is tons of room for my front snow chains

Roger.
Checked today and there looks to be plenty of room.
Thank you everyone. I'm going to go for Thule XG 12 pro 240 chains. They have a slightly narrower 12mm chain grip, rather than the more standard 16, so hopefully this will avoid any problems. However hopefully I won't have to use them - getting them just as an insurance policy against over zealous European rules.

Do you use winter tyres? Chains are very rarely needed on a 4WD with winter tyres.

I live in the Alps and have very seldom a need to use snow chains. However, we have to put winter tyres on the 15th of November and have them on till the 15th of March. I have chains in the car, but haven't used them for years. Good winter tyres and some experience are usually enough.The only time I used 4 chains on a 4WD was in military service. But it was insane where we were driving those Puch G's.

Plus one for what Roger Evans says above. On my 2010 Multivan 4 Motion 132kW with 135/55R17 tyres we used these same Thule XG12 Pro 240 chains on a few ski field access roads here in NZ with no issues. I now have to work out whether the Thule XG 230 chains will safely fit the 235/60R16 wheels on our 2007 Cali 4 Motion. The snow's a good few months away and we've only had the Cali a week so there's still time.

Hugo,

Good to see another VW Cali owner out here in NZ. I have a set of steel wheels with GoodYear Four Seasons tyres and they are good for NZ roads. My Thunders with Dunlop Sport tyres are still stored in the garage two years after arrival. Maybe I'll put them on next spring now I've built the pod and intend getting away a bit more.

Andy

View media item 812
Advice appreciated please...I'm picking up my new 4motion van on Thursday. She's got steels with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55 R17 103V XL Tyres fitted. I'm going to the Alps at the start of April to hopefully get some end of season skiing in. I've never used chains before but feel I should get some to be safe even though I'm sure the tyres will be more than ok.

What brand / spec of chains would you suggest and can I get away with just having a set on the front? Thanks

As mentioned in above post, the Thule XG Pro12 -240 chains fit and work well on same wheel/tyre combo on the T5. As it appears running gear is the same on the T6 (better confirm this with VW) then these may work for you. Not cheap,but worth it if they fit.

As mentioned in above post, the Thule XG Pro12 -240 chains fit and work well on same wheel/tyre combo on the T5. As it appears running gear is the same on the T6 (better confirm this with VW) then these may work for you. Not cheap,but worth it if they fit.
Thanks. £133 on Amazon = £93 saving off RRP. Just watched the video. Looks clever tech. http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/snow-chains/snow-chains/suv/thule-xg-12-pro-210-_-04705210
I've opted for just the one pair that I'll use on the front wheels. I have mechanical diff lock option too if I get stuck. I'm hoping this will be enough

Last edited:
Gosh!!!! Just bought two pairs for my 4motion and not yet tested them!!!!!! now I'm panicking!!!!!
Before you use chains on the rear wheels it's really important you check inside wheel/tyre clearance. With wider tyres (235) we would not be able to fit chains on the rear of either our T5 Cali 4Motion or Multivan 4 Motion. It's pretty unlikely we'd ever need chains on all four wheels,and from my reading, VW suggest only fitting them to the front wheels.

Still pending to test my chains (and panicking). I'm thinking in fit M+S tires once those one get wore, so probably I'll need no chains, but I'd like to keep them just in case.

I've read somewhere someine only fitted chains in front and they experince weir behaviour in the reard because lack of adherence (you could be surpassed by your van button )

Ive bought chains for just the front of my 4motion but haven't used them yet too. It'd be useful to hear anyone who has used them on their 4motion to share their experiences please.

So has anyone successfully fitted chains on 235/55R17? Can't seem to find the Thule chains anymore.
Is the clearance issue only for the rear wheels?
A bit in a hurry, as I'm leaving for austria in 10 days..

Yes but you have 215/60R17 tyres right?
I have the 235/55R17 and did not know when ordering the tyres that snow tyres are not possible with this size.
I checked my wheels and indeed in the rear the clearance between tyre and side plate is only about 1cm which is not enough for 9 or 12mm chains so that part I understand.
In the front it seems there is more than enough space. But I guess when turning the steering wheel maximum that they will rub.

I played with the pewag configurator and it says for 235/55R17 "No chains approved by vehicle manufacturer."
Then elsewhere I found this list https://www.banden-pneus-online.be/files/produit/chaine/affectations_chaines_vehicules.pdf
Here it says the allowed snow chains are:

Polaire Grip 110 (which is EUR 329)
Polaire Grip Steel 110 (which is EUR 363)
Trak LT 45 (which is EUR 319)

Those are very expensive for a 4Motion cali imo. And still not officially allowed chains.

There are also these Hybrid chains/socks Michelin Easy Grip W12 4x4 but it's unclear if those will fit.

Ok so after some further research and digging, I found Trak LT 46 (not 45) to be available for EUR 274.
It's still expensive, but at least they will always work, the chain does NOT go behind the tyre, they can be used off-road, and are very easy to mount.

For uk, the site is
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/snow-chain/maggi-group/trak-4x4-suv/46-17
for Belgium
https://www.bandenleader.be/sneeuwketting/maggi-group/trak-4x4-suv/46-17
For Germany: reiferleader.de

My order is out, should be here in 3 working days, will let you know how it works out.