Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow Chains

C

Calimark

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am just starting to think about the extra accessories we will need for our ski trip in the cali next Feb..The first one on my list is snow chains (which might also come in handy here in the UK if we see some heavy snow again). The are loads of makes on the market but I don't want to spend too much as we will not be driving around the ski resort once parked up in the campsite.

A couple of options I am looking at:
- Michelin Easy Grip (around £100)
- Thule XG12 Snow Chains (£136)
- Konig K-SUV Snow Chains (£126)
- Weissenfels Clack & Go SUV (£199)

Anyone have any experience with any of the above options ??

The Michelin's look good as they do not take up much space which is always a bonus in the cali.

Mark,
Where are you heading? If you have to travel through Germany then you require winter tyres by law now. Previously I bought Rud snow chains from the Roofbox Company (but not for my Cali). You can also part exchange them later if you change your tyre size.

Hi Andy, we are heading for the French Alps (Le Grand Bornard) so will not need winter tyres. On that subject, when I need to change the tyres on my Cali I will go for M&S "all weather" tyres so we can then venture into Austria and Germany for ski hols.

Cool. I'll be taking mine to the Amade ski area in the Austrian alps south of Salzburg this March. Priced up some winter tyres the other day and was quoted £500 (with fitting) for my 16 inch. Need to get some as will be going in Feb the following season.
In the past I've carried my skis in my roof box on top of a car so don't know whether to buy bars for the Cali to do the same. The other option would be to carry them in the van on the near side under the bench seat. Do you take your own kit?
Back on the subject of chains.. I know you are required to carry them in the alpine regions, but in all the years I've driven to the alps I've never used them once. I've never had to drive on packed snow. What I have used to good effect however both there and here are auto socks. They're great for partially covered roads and you can skip over clear Tarmac as well. You just can't go over about 40mph.

Ive still got a set of 17" VW steels with Mud and snows on them, if anyone is interetsed?

I've used the Klack and Go snow Chains on two different vehicles. Quite easy to fit by the roadside and work well. Slightly surprised at the price tag. Both sets I bought we're considerably cheaper than £200! :shocked

andys495 said:
BMVS,
How new are the tyres?
What make are they?
How much?

Andy

Hi Andy

They are as new with 8mm+ on them, under 500 miles. Goodyear Vector tyres, on VW 17" steel wheels with centre caps

£500

Bmvs,
Now I'm probably about to ask a really daft question here, but my current tyres are 215/65 R16. If I wanted to would I be able to do a straight swap from my 16 inch wheels to 17inch or would I have to modify anything in any way?

Andy

Hi Andy

It is a straight swap as the rolling radius will be the same

Harrythecat said:
I've used the Klack and Go snow Chains on two different vehicles. Quite easy to fit by the roadside and work well. Slightly surprised at the price tag. Both sets I bought we're considerably cheaper than £200! :shocked

I believe the price difference is due to the difference between a 4x4/MPV/SUV version and a regular car. The heavier the car the more expensive the snow chains.

andys495 said:
Bmvs
Sorry for 101 Q,s but does that price inc p&p!
Andy

Hi Andy

No it doesnt, where are you based in East Sussex?

Bmvs,
Just looked into this a bit more and for my needs I will probably want to go for a pure winter tyre rather than a four season one. Thanks for your time and help.
Andy

andys495 said:
Cool. I'll be taking mine to the Amade ski area in the Austrian alps south of Salzburg this March. Priced up some winter tyres the other day and was quoted £500 (with fitting) for my 16 inch. Need to get some as will be going in Feb the following season.
In the past I've carried my skis in my roof box on top of a car so don't know whether to buy bars for the Cali to do the same. The other option would be to carry them in the van on the near side under the bench seat. Do you take your own kit?
Back on the subject of chains.. I know you are required to carry them in the alpine regions, but in all the years I've driven to the alps I've never used them once. I've never had to drive on packed snow. What I have used to good effect however both there and here are auto socks. They're great for partially covered roads and you can skip over clear Tarmac as well. You just can't go over about 40mph.

Hi Andy, we will hire ski equipment when at the resort as we are still relative beginners. Austria looks great for ski camping. I remember seeing a camp site where you had your own private heated bathroom !

Back on the snow chains, are autosocks legally accepted as "snow chains" in the French alps ?

We went to le grand bornand last jan for 10 days and it's great,it snowed solid for 3 days
We bought konig snow chains,the name of them is konig no problem. they look the dogs,
Never even fitted them apart from before the trip to test how easy they are to fit. The cali was superb I'n the snow the grip was fine on the standard dunlops.but you need them by law I'n the ski resorts I'n France.the socks or fabric chains are not legal.we plan to go again after christmas sometime this will be our 3rd trip there inc summer this year,we now have a karmann mobil Colorado ti motorhome on a Vw t5 gp base vehicle so a bit more room this time.but I love my cali's and do miss it.I think I will end up with another at some point .ps a Pucer screen is a must as it went down to minus 10-15 some nightsand a small oil rad to save using ur cali heater.cheers and have a great time

Just a bit more info about chains in France. They are mandatory where signs require them. Mthey do not have to be fitted, but you need them on board. The gendarmerie have a nice industry going stopping Brits (mostly in 4x4s) who don't have chains and then have to cough up 400€ from the nearest ATM. SOCKS DON'T CUT IT WITH THEM!

greenfintry said:
Just a bit more info about chains in France. They are mandatory where signs require them. Mthey do not have to be fitted, but you need them on board. The gendarmerie have a nice industry going stopping Brits (mostly in 4x4s) who don't have chains and then have to cough up 400€ from the nearest ATM. SOCKS DON'T CUT IT WITH THEM!

socks are a very good get out of jail free card ......easy to store easy to fit and perfect for where i live without having a set of winter shoes hanging about for maybe a few days of snow a year ....... :doh ,,,,, but europe is deffo a different kettle of fish i will agree . :barmy

I went with the Thule XG12's in the end and they look great. Will perform a dry run soon so will report back