Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So so sorry..... another mattress thread......

zac

zac

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello all.

so I think I may have searched every thread on here concerning mattress arrangements, but I am still non the wiser which route to take mainly because I think it is all about personal preference above anything else.
So, I took a trip to Vw listers Coventry and tried the Vw comfort mattress, and that is as far as I have got. my questions are.......

1. does anybody know of any other ways or places I can try the alternatives?
2. are there any alternatives contoured like the Vw mattress?
3. I’m assuming people use something else on top of the mattresses like a topper and fitted sheet?
4. Does the 3 seater beach sit at a different level to the 2 seater?
5. if anybody has photos of their setup I’d be interested to see it to help me along the way :thumb

i did find the Vw comfort mattress fine but literally 2 mins test isn’t really any good, and I don’t see any other way of testing apart from purchase.

I think this may be a case of having read so much I’ve confused myself.
Apparently, this is something very specific to me! :embarrased

The three seater is higher in bed mode than the 2 seater so I’d see how you get on with the comfort mattress alone first. I don’t think there are any other contoured options; if you find it too firm a topper is the way to go. Give it a few tries, you might get used to it!

Last edited:
Reactions: zac
The three seater is higher in bed mode than the 2 seater so I’d see how you get in with the comfort mattress alone first. I don’t think there are any other contoured options; if you find it too firm a topper is the way to go. Give it a few goes, you might get used to it!
I was looking at the other options in the shop. Mainly the sleep one topper and the Ixtend mattress, I’m considering trying the topper on its own first and if it doesn’t work, get the mattress, or is this a bad way to go about it?

what do you use?

I was looking into this before, there are actually 2 mattresses for the beach , one is a newer much thicker mattress. The thicker one isn't listed as a comfort mattress , but VW customer services confirmed it was suitable and more comfortable. I had the 2 part numbers as (not sure which is which):

Part no: 7e7067135dlqu
Part no: 7e8067135clqu

I was looking into this before, there are actually 2 mattresses for the beach , one is a newer much thicker mattress. The thicker one isn't listed as a comfort mattress , but VW customer services confirmed it was suitable and more comfortable. I had the 2 part numbers as (not sure which is which):

Part no: 7e7067135dlqu
Part no: 7e8067135clqu
The bottom number you quote is what was given to me from the store man at Cov Vw. I’ll have a word and confirm which is which.

I was looking at the other options in the shop. Mainly the sleep one topper and the Ixtend mattress, I’m considering trying the topper on its own first and if it doesn’t work, get the mattress, or is this a bad way to go about it?

what do you use?
We’ve got a 2-seater so is completely different from the 3 seater...but I think the toppers for Beaches in the shop are designed to be used on top of the VW comfort mattress. I had a long chat to Nick from the shop about it, I’d give him a call if I were you, he knows his onions.

Edit: by the way we have a 5cm memory foam topper on top of the comfort mattress just to take the edge off!

We have a three seater beach without the comfort mattress and can’t find anyway to try before buying! So have a similar dilemma, also worried about the sheer size of some of the mattress/topper combinations when rolled/folded!
We have been using old self inflating camping mattresses straight onto the bench and these are very comfortable. They are ones we had from camping and not a long term solution due to size, more modern ones probably pack down much smaller!
We are thinking of getting two duvalay 5cm sleeping bags. We have the 2.5 cm ones and they are ok straight on the bench but not quite thick enough. That way we have 4 duvalay sleeping bags rolled up - no need to take sheets, duvets, toppers etc.

We have used two non-VW mattresses.

Ikea Talgje - £80

Brandrup iExtend - £499

Both have been thoroughly tested, the Talgje for about 60 nights over a period of ten weeks in Scandinavia; the iExtend for well over 300 nights.

The Talgje is fine for a night or two but is lumpy and bumpy, and I really cannot recommend it for an extended trip such as we used it for.

The iExtend is much better, but does not produce a totally flat bed. However, we find that we sort of curl our bodies to the contours. The unevenness is, of course, due to the unevenness of the bed below the mattress. The iExtend is made of a firmer foam (below) fused to a softer foam (above) it does a reasonable job of smoothing the bed below. Folded in quarters it can be used on the rear parcel shelf as a baby cot mattress, folded in half it can be used as a double bed for children up to the age of about ten. It can be used as a mattress over all five rear seats in various configurations. The fully folded dimensions are: height 30cm, width 150cm, depth 50cm. Half folded dimensions: thickness 15cm, width 150cm, depth 100cm. Unfolded: thickness 7.5cm, width 150cm, length 200cm.

For the set up we have for our van, we get a completely flat bed when the mattress is half folded for a double children's bed.
IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve also looked into this in fairly great depth recently.

I took this photo of the mattress part number From a 3 seater Beach in a showroom a couple of months ago.

Beach 3 Seater comfort Mattress =
7E8 067 365 C L18

Beach 2 Seater comfort Mattress =
7E8 067 135 C LQU

I also asked VW Guru to check this and he agreed.

A2A8E71E-C8B8-48CE-90C2-4F02984052EA.png

We have been through a similar process. We have the ‘comfort’ mattress which came with our ex demo Beach 3 seater. It does produce a nice flat platform on which to add toppers. Does take quite a lot of space on the rear shelf. I’m not sure which version I have but I can check the packaging in the garage later on. Until recently I didn’t know there were two versions.

I don’t have any photos yet but we have now bought the Duvalay toppers (2.5cm) to go on top. They are cut to shape and roll in to two bags all quite easy. We wanted the 5cm toppers ideally but the rolled size was large (75cm long by 41cm diameter) from memory. The 2.5cm version gets down to about 30cm diameter. They roll and sit on top of the folded VW mattress on top of the MFB.

We’ve had three nights only on those, comfort wise it’s an improvement over the VWCM alone which is bearable compared to camping in a tent which we did for years, but it’s not that nice comfy bed I imagined when I handed over an arm, leg and several organs for the Beach! 5cm Duvalay on-top of the comfort mattress would i reckon be amazeballs if you can cope with the size. You could probably just have the 5cm Duvalay and ditch the VWCM but you would not get a totally flat bed I don’t think.

Others on here use self inflating mats, I couldn’t find a king size one for the beach. I think you’d have to do two singles. I didn’t want the blowing up and down thing as that was the bit I hated when we camped proper. But others on here seem to rate them highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have used two non-VW mattresses.

Ikea Talgje - £80

Brandrup iExtend - £499

Both have been thoroughly tested, the Talgje for about 60 nights over a period of ten weeks in Scandinavia; the iExtend for well over 300 nights.

The Talgje is fine for a night or two but is lumpy and bumpy, and I really cannot recommend it for an extended trip such as we used it for.

The iExtend is much better, but does not produce a totally flat bed. However, we find that we sort of curl our bodies to the contours. This is, or course, due to the unevenness of the bed below the mattress. Being made of a firmer foam below and softer foam above it does a reasonable job of smoothing the bed below. Folded in quarters it can be used on the rear parcel shelf as a baby cot mattress, folded in half it can be used as a double bed for children up to the age of about ten. It can be used as a mattress over all five rear seats in various configurations.

In the iExtend advert in the club shop, it looks to me (due to the position of the headrests) that the photos are taken within a 2 seat Beach, which we know has a flatter bed.

However, the description talks about the 3 seat Bench. It also describes 3 sections but it looks like 4 sections laid out in the photo!!! It all adds to the confusion!!

Whilst searching the part numbers I had on google, I found these.

769B047F-5AE7-45E3-9BEB-A1EF743A0947.png

7BB0B614-71DF-4466-876C-39211EE48D6E.png

I believe the end numbers of each code can vary for either Black or Grey!!

The substantial variation in cost and weight suggests to me that the mattresses are not the same.

In the iExtend advert in the club shop, it looks to me (due to the position of the headrests) that the photos are taken within a 2 seat Beach, which we know has a flatter bed.

However, the description talks about the 3 seat Bench. It also describes 3 sections but it looks like 4 sections laid out in the photo!!! It all adds to the confusion!!
Yes - it is all very confusing.

The Brandrup page has more detail and two additional photos.

947.jpg

This is a 2 seat bench Beach with a flat bed.

1256.jpg

948.jpg

This is, I think, a multivan. The bed looks a little lumpy.

949.jpg

From this photo, it looks like the multiflex in the two seat beach is significantly deeper than the 3 seat Beach, >100cm. There are loops which attach to the headrests and will hold the mattress in place. I'm certain it is four sections, with the fourth section folded behind the third section.

Hello all.

so I think I may have searched every thread on here concerning mattress arrangements, but I am still non the wiser which route to take mainly because I think it is all about personal preference above anything else.
So, I took a trip to Vw listers Coventry and tried the Vw comfort mattress, and that is as far as I have got. my questions are.......

3. I’m assuming people use something else on top of the mattresses like a topper and fitted sheet?
5. if anybody has photos of their setup I’d be interested to see it to help me along the way :thumb

i did find the Vw comfort mattress fine but literally 2 mins test isn’t really any good, and I don’t see any other way of testing apart from purchase.

I’m really fussy about comfort , I bought a fold up topper which folds up and is stored in a bag with a California logo , eBay 140£ I’m selling mine for 70£ as new see add items for sale

Hello all.

If you want to try ours and your passing, nip in, Jun 25 M1. I think you are over thinking it TBH, it took us until our third van to get it spot on that rolls up, stores and is comfortable.
Loads of different opinions on here and all right for the individual in question.

Hello all.

Coventry your local dealer? Where abouts are you Zac? I have a comfortz mattress in my 3 seat beach, you're welcome to have a look at it.

Coventry your local dealer? Where abouts are you Zac? I have a comfortz mattress in my 3 seat beach, you're welcome to have a look at it.
Matt that would be very useful. I’m based in rugby just down road from Cov. I really don’t want to bite the bullet and go for anything without physically seeing and trying.
If you can provide a nice cup of coco and a foot massage at the same time that would be nice! :upsidedown

If you want to try ours and your passing, nip in, Jun 25 M1. I think you are over thinking it TBH, it took us until our third van to get it spot on that rolls up, stores and is comfortable.
Loads of different opinions on here and all right for the individual in question.
Is that the comfortz you have?

Hello all.

I use a sleeping 1” memory foam double mattress topper in my California. It came with a removable cool max cover. From Amazon. Not too expensive so figured if it didn’t work could use on a bed at home. I find it perfectly adequate and comfortable. Can use a fitted sheet over it. or a fleece blanket on top for extra cosines sometimes then climb in to a square cotton sleeping bag (no rustling like synthetic bags. Sleeping bag stores in drawer under seat). I keep bed pillows folded in half inside cushion covers and they sit on back seat for daytime comfort. The mattress topper folds neatly in three and sits on back shelf when not in use covered in a blanket to protect iit. Not contoured for the bottom bed but not a problem.

Hi, we have a 3 seater beach with the vw comfort mattress. It's a bit hard for us so we bought a king size topper from Aldi for £35. It is so comfortable now I get a better night's sleep in the van than at home. I've adjusted an old duvet cover to fit to size so it is protected and it folds up on top of the comfort mattress. We also use it on the top bed. It goes up the sides of the roof by a couple of inches which makes it very cosy.we have an external roof topper we use if it looks like rain so it doesn't matter if the bed &duvet touch the sides.

I have an SE (so 2-seater width like an Ocean) and because of a very bad back, I need to sleep downstairs. With the prices of the genuine mattresses so expensive - and I didn't know if they'd be any good for my back either - I decided to purchase a thick memory foam mattress at round about £90 if I remember rightly. It has a zip off cover so was simple to remove, cut it to size to fit perfectly then replace in its cover. It is at least 10cm thick and really helps me get a great sleep. The only downside is that it is bulky, but I simply roll it back to the rear when not in use (complete with sheet, duvet, etc when camping), then it is ready to roll forward again when I get my bed out the following night. Have had this for about 3 years now and works very well, so certainly worth looking at non-VW options in my opinion.

Hi, can anyone confirm that the beach comfort matress is thicker at the back section and the thinner 2 parts go over the seats?
Any pictures would be appreciated, before I order one, or if anyone is selling one?
Hardest thing to get hold of!

Hi, can anyone confirm that the beach comfort matress is thicker at the back section and the thinner 2 parts go over the seats?
Any pictures would be appreciated, before I order one, or if anyone is selling one?
Hardest thing to get hold of!
Yes that is correct for the 2 seat bench beach, do you have the 2 or 3 seat bench?

Yes that is correct for the 2 seat bench beach, do you have the 2 or 3 seat bench?
Mine is a 3 seater. Just noticed the seats are slightly higher and it wouldn't be flat without a stepped matress