Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So the rumours were true!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've just seen VW's new UK online info on the forthcoming T6-1 California. No mention of the Beach or the two models shown at the recent German launch, was it the "Camping" and "Touring" models?

seems a shame
wonder why?
I'm really glad now that I didn't bother waiting as there's nothing in the new blurb that would pursued me to consider the T6-1. They don't even seemed to have bothered that much with the new colour pallet but most of all, having no Beach is a killer.

Last edited:
Give it time. Germany is heading for recession. Can’t see them walking away rom 40% of their unit sales.
Can anyone hypothesise why the Beach would be dropped? It’s hardly complex, it’s simple to make in RHD, they never bothered training the dealers, the twin sliders in the new model overcomes the ‘door on the wrong side’ argument for mpv use etc.

Bet it comes out in a few months... the HALO models always follow on after an initial release!!

all DSG at this time

Can anyone hypothesise why the Beach would be dropped? It’s hardly complex, it’s simple to make in RHD, they never bothered training the dealers, the twin sliders in the new model overcomes the ‘door on the wrong side’ argument for mpv use etc.

Well my guess is purely cost.

I wrote this in another thread:
"Cali sales have been down year on year for the last two years, confirmed by our dealer. This may be partly due to the new VED rates but regardless of the cause, Cali sales in the UK are slowing. To spec a Beach to a reasonable level is a costly business. I should know as I've just ordered one and I can assure you that for what I will be paying, I could buy a very nice brand new Ocean. So a nice Beach is already extremely expensive. Now add to that the two new models (Camper and Touring) with their expensive new changes and the prices will only go one way and that's before any import tax due to a possible no deal Brexit is factored in. Net result, sales stall".

Now in addition, VW have taken the decision to shoe horn the Coast in below the Ocean. If the sales of Oceans have been slowing then they must be nearing their ceiling price i.e what UK buyers are prepared to pay. With the Coast now in the line up they've probably figured that the Beach would complicate matters too much and look too expensive.

No, I can't be sure of this but it all looks very plausible to me.

Last edited:
I think it's a case of catch up...if you think back to the intro of T5 Cali initially there were no plans for RHD models but then they saw a demand in UK...it took 2 years to arrive! More recently VW had NO plans to offer two tone Caravelles or Oceans in UK..VW UK lobbied and lo and behold...
so I suspect the Beach in new versions will come along sooner or later and I do know VW UK are very keen to be able to offer the Beach with a kitchen...but VW will wait to see how sales are at home ... and are wary of untested (in sales tems) models coming on at same time as this Brexit mess...

Purely a guess.

Maybe dealers have excess stock of Beaches and have asked for VW UK to hold back on the 6.1 Beach with its innovative new features until current stocks are run down.

It does seem very strange not to offer it. I expect most people buy a Beach as they want a MPV/camper not because they can't afford an Ocean

Interesting arguments about 'why no beach' but most of them are blown apart with the introduction of the Coast.
They had two clearly differentiated models. Selling somewhere near the 60/40 split.
They still have two models.
I can't see much of the 40% (beach split) audience buying a Coast, (because they buy Beaches because they are what they want, not because they are 'cheap' right?).
So the new line up just splits the 60 into two.
I'm not falling for any proposal that there isn't enough margin in any of the models. You can buy a fab new van and a 'luxury' caravan for less than an Ocean. All 3 models must have huge margins.

I think it's a case of catch up...if you think back to the intro of T5 Cali initially there were no plans for RHD models but then they saw a demand in UK...it took 2 years to arrive! More recently VW had NO plans to offer two tone Caravelles or Oceans in UK..VW UK lobbied and lo and behold...
so I suspect the Beach in new versions will come along sooner or later and I do know VW UK are very keen to be able to offer the Beach with a kitchen...but VW will wait to see how sales are at home ... and are wary of untested (in sales tems) models coming on at same time as this Brexit mess...
I hope your right. It's the best modern vehicle that I've ever owned.

Purely a guess.

Maybe dealers have excess stock of Beaches and have asked for VW UK to hold back on the 6.1 Beach with its innovative new features until current stocks are run down.
Possibly, but I doubt if they will hang around, even the basic ones.

Vw will no doubt be considering the market share competition, with a view to offer more possible configurations? Therefore meeting more customers needs and expectations.
The current product variants in the U.K. currently are three model B2 coast, B3 Beach And O 2 seater with a Kitchen
Presumably the O will still continue to be the over priced kitchen model (joking)
Leaving VW to market the other non kitchen variants as slightly cheaper base model, with the added benefit of the “twin slider” and “kitchen pod” options, which will offer a huge amount of more possible configuration combos and upselling ops.
I think it’s a very smart marketing approach, that allows VW to manipulate sales prices based on a basic specifications with a offer a Miriad of configurations?

Interesting arguments about 'why no beach' but most of them are blown apart with the introduction of the Coast.
They had two clearly differentiated models. Selling somewhere near the 60/40 split.
They still have two models.
I can't see much of the 40% (beach split) audience buying a Coast, (because they buy Beaches because they are what they want, not because they are 'cheap' right?).
So the new line up just splits the 60 into two.
I'm not falling for any proposal that there isn't enough margin in any of the models. You can buy a fab new van and a 'luxury' caravan for less than an Ocean. All 3 models must have huge margins.
Well maybe your right. BTW I agree with almost every thing you have said but it still doesn't explain why they have dropped a popular model and introduced another Ocean sans bells and whistles instead.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the sales go of both models.

I’ve not really looked at what the Coast or new Beach give you, but I’m glad I got my Beach order in under T6 variant - which should be ready to collect in the next 2 weeks I really only wanted a Caravelle style daily car, with added option to do some camping following the sale of my day van. I specced mine up pretty high, but if I could only buy a camper with a kitchen, instead of a 3 seater bench I would have had to buy a used Beach or a 6.1 Caravelle and think about adding a roof.

Hopefully the van will hold it’s value, when it’s time to chop it in for a 911

It does seem absurd to drop the Beach.

I can see that the micro kitchen option for the Beach might eat into the Ocean/Coast sales, but they could perfectly easily only offer the dual door Beach in the UK market. And it is that variant with the three seat bench which we would probably prefer if we were in the market for a new camper and it were available.

But is the 60% Coast 40% Beach real sales figures or a straw poll of respondents here?

Nearly every California I see in the UK is an Ocean, and I think that the split may be closer to 80% Ocean and 20% Beach.

It does seem absurd to drop the Beach.

I can see that the micro kitchen option for the Beach might eat into the Ocean/Coast sales, but they could perfectly easily only offer the dual door Beach in the UK market. And it is that variant with the three seat bench which we would probably prefer if we were in the market for a new camper and it were available.

But is the 60% Coast 40% Beach real sales figures or a straw poll of respondents here?

Nearly every California I see in the UK is an Ocean, and I think that the split may be closer to 80% Ocean and 20% Beach.

SMG sales chap told me they sell maybe 1 beach to 4 or 5 oceans

If you had made enquiries mid August for a new *base* model California it was then an eye watering £43K+OTR.

If you walk into the same dealer tomorrow and ask, the base model California T6.1 as gone up by approx £9K in 6 weeks and you have to take the kitchen.

Glad we ordered our Beach in August. We knew we did not want the kitchen we hardly used it in our motorhome.

We will just carry a BBQ in the summer and maybe a couple of cheap portable stoves just in case.

Daz....

I quoted it only as a guide as its the best we have. The figures on my recent poll of visitors owning recent vans here was a bit closer than that (54% Ocean, 46% Beach) so I stepped it back as the closeness was a real surprise.

At the end of the day, mass vehicle manufacturing is based on statistics. The statistics will be Europe wide and skewed to meet sales/ revenue figures and projected revenues, adjustments will be made through the manufacturing life cycle, which may be 5+ years, more if recession bits hard,.
If the beach model is / was popular and profitable, it will return, at the expense of the new offerings, particularly if the new offerings do not offer VW a return on their investment.
if not we Beach owners have a modern classic to use and cherish whilst prices initially depreciate naturally ( slowly) then rise dramatically !

Agree - going by the number I see on the roads, 80:20, or even 85:15 seems more realistic. And I'm pretty good at spotting them :)

Back