Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So True.

Global-plastic-production-1917-to-2017-e1513522213913.png

But is it the older lady's generation who are responsible for allowing reusing and recycling to decline and single use plastic to balloon, or the young cashier's generation who are responsible?

I think that the point Thunberg et al are trying to get across is that it is upcoming generations who will be left to pick up the pieces from the excesses of our generations. Whether they are right or wrong is not a judgement I feel qualified to make, but if my understanding of their argument is correct I admit to a certain amount of inertia in modifying the way I live.

But is it the older lady's generation who are responsible for allowing reusing and recycling to decline and single use plastic to balloon, or the young cashier's generation who are responsible?

I think that the point Thunberg et al are trying to get across is that it is upcoming generations who will be left to pick up the pieces from the excesses of our generations. Whether they are right or wrong is not a judgement I feel qualified to make, but if my understanding of their argument is correct I admit to a certain amount of inertia in modifying the way I live.
Yeah, I watched the local 6th formers park their cars, get their Costa Coffee and plastic water bottles, before unfurling their banners and hold their Climate Change demo, last friday.

Trying to blame previous generations for today's woes is a lazy and ill thought through reaction. Yes older people are guilty but so are these young people. Many of these problems are caused by demand and the need to keep up the supply chain. They'd soon start squeeling if they couldn't get their mobile renewed every year or the fast food outlets they all love so much were closed down. They'd have nothing to throw out of their car windows into the hedge rows on their way home either. Today's young are also the ones that insist on jetting around the world on gap years. The nearest I've ever been to a gap year was two weeks apple picking before I started work.

So they should acknowledge that they are also fueling the demand for the very things they are blaming older people for and probably to a greater extend than we did when we were their age.

However, the one thing that older people are guilty of is creating this demand by producing these young people in the first place.

Big business and its bosses on £7 million plus salaries have a lot to answer for. Blaming ordinary people who participate in taking advantage has some merit but clever marketing and delivery by big companies is IMHO the main culprit. Corporate greed determines supply and demand not politicians.

Whoever thought of selling plastic bottles of water in the Western World must have made a killing. They have their place in disaster relief etc: but not in those countries with a clean water infrastructure.
I wonder what would happen if this water was only sold in glass bottles or in 5L bottles only, or the Coffee shops stopped selling disposable Takeaway cups?

Over population of the planet by us humans is the elephant in the room when it comes to the climate change debate.
Yes, I agree although I have to admit to being one of the culprits. My wife and I have done our bit to add to the over population.

Yes, I agree although I have to admit to being one of the culprits. My wife and I have done our bit to add to the over population.
europe-population-change2.gif

And the UK is projected to fare worse than most. At least it should keep house prices buoyant.

Just put us down for four kids and eight grand kids, not the whole 15%. :thumb
If I'm not mistaken, four children and eight grandchildren is a 100% increase over a stable population. 15% would be 2.3 children and 5.29 grandchildren. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, four children and eight grandchildren is a 100% increase over a stable population. 15% would be 2.3 children and 5.29 grandchildren. ;)
Oh dear, we have exceeded our quota! Still other people we know are the reverse, having not bothered to .................Well you get my drift.

She was scowling because she couldn’t find anywhere to charge her mobile phone, to find the nearest McDonalds or contact her Mum to pick her up, despite being only a short bus ride from home, which made Her Hangry !

She was scowling because she couldn’t find anywhere to charge her mobile phone, to find the nearest McDonalds or contact her Mum to pick her up, despite being only a short bus ride from home, which made Her Hangry !
Who accustomed her to these habits? If kids today are spoiled, we can't blame the kids themselves, I think.

Who accustomed her to these habits? If kids today are spoiled, we can't blame the kids themselves, I think.
No, we can't but unless we bring up the next generations in total isolation, they too are going to have to accept that they themselves are also part of the problem.

Blaming todays woes on previous generations is both pointless and lazy. You can't turn back time any more than you can un-invent plastic.

As for global warming, how exactly did Greta Thunberg get to hear about global warming? Probably on her mobile phone or on the tv in her bedroom or on her lap top or on one of her school's computers. The young are enlightened due to progress. Progress fuels demand and demand requires economies of scale. Those economies of scale demand cheaper materials and in turn use up valuable resources. Demand also creates obsolescence, waste, pollution and adds to global warming.

Unless these youngsters go and live in the woods, then they own these problems as well.

I commend them all for raising the level of awareness and pushing for change but I doubt if scowling is going to win them any ground.