Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So what’s it like out there?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
We’ve not bothered trying to go anywhere and won’t until post 17th.

I was wondering how busy things are out there given the restrictions on crossing the channel.
There must be thousands of big whites that are normally in Euroshire, clogging up sites in the Uk?

Last September we were in Bavaria and it was rammed with stay-home Germans. I’m assuming it’ll be similar here?

We’ve not bothered trying to go anywhere and won’t until post 17th.

I was wondering how busy things are out there given the restrictions on crossing the channel.
There must be thousands of big whites that are normally in Euroshire, clogging up sites in the Uk?

Last September we were in Bavaria and it was rammed with stay-home Germans. I’m assuming it’ll be similar here?
I walk over the A90 four times a day whilst out with the pooches. I am seeing many more caravans than I expected.
Yet, at the same time was able to book two adjacent pitches on a C&CC site with 5 pitches for end May mid week without any problem.

Last week we had 5 nights near the Lizard. It was empty! This followed 4 nights the week before in N Somerset, again empty. Several nights we were the only vehicle on site. Also just booked trips throughout the summer and into November, missing out school holidays. No problems at all, booked all our first choices.

Last week we had 5 nights near the Lizard. It was empty! This followed 4 nights the week before in N Somerset, again empty. Several nights we were the only vehicle on site. Also just booked trips throughout the summer and into November, missing out school holidays. No problems at all, booked all our first choices.
six days in week to the bank holiday wet weekend at New Quay and Marloes (Wales Coast) at totally empty campsites. There were no toilets / showers, which may account for deserted sites. A few day visitors in the towns.

Been away 5 nights since April 12th, 3 sites, plenty of room.

six days in week to the bank holiday wet weekend at New Quay and Marloes (Wales Coast) at totally empty campsites. There were no toilets / showers, which may account for deserted sites. A few day visitors in the towns.
The toilets were open on our sites but not showers.

We had two nights away recently on a small site in Kent. It was very quiet with most pitches empty.

Two weeks ago I have been crossing France towards Tarragona via Dijon, Lyon, Avignon and on my way back via Toulouse, Limoges, Orléans,... Not a traveling soul around. Not even a policeman to ask for my papers. Also, no restaurants open (except for Spain), so truly a great Calitime.

We’ve been away every weekend since April 12th. All good. Mix of sites, some quite busy, some quiet. All had toilets but no showers. Covid compliance by fellow campers, definitely a bit hit and miss, but with our own loo, not a concern for us. Great to be back.

We've been away twice in recent weeks, reasonably local - West Sussex and Kent (from Brighton). Generally quiet (midweek), campsite owners pleased to see us, everything Covid compliant. Toilets in use but not showers or washing up facilities. Not exactly camping weather at the moment but so nice to be away! We are planning to go to Ireland in late Aug/Sept for 3 weeks. Were going to play it by ear but I emailed a few campsite owners this week to get their views on availability. All said vital to book in Aug with many already fully booked for peak season.

Don't go, it's like this (it was on Wednesday, anyway).

1620495351766.png

(We'd been in SW Scotland. Just a couple of campervans and MHs around there, but I'd say a decent number on the M6 both ways.)

Don't go, it's like this (it was on Wednesday, anyway).

View attachment 78113

(We'd been in SW Scotland. Just a couple of campervans and MHs around there, but I'd say a decent number on the M6 both ways.)
If stuck NE scotland I have room on the drive. No view. Just losts of wine and cooking on the Cobb under the canopy...

Spent last 6 nights in Bude nice site empty no more than 10 vans all week arrived at Trewethett C&M site today and site is full.so far rained all day today hoping it’s settles for tomorrow as planing on walking to tintagel.

Some sites in the lakes are still shut. Ie langdale. Others are fully booked for the rest of the year. Ie wasdale. I find it easy during the week and then when Friday comes its tricky