GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
and your Cali today?

Please don't say home :D

I'm in Chertsey avoiding the Southern rail strike. What should have been a day trip by train now means 2 nights out in London and at £300 for a hotel or £22.00 for two nights pitch fees, plus a short commute with a non-striking railway, it's a no-brainer.

Albert to the rescue, again :(

Archery Club, but not sleeping in the Van until Boxing Day.:upsidedown

Putting up the Christmas Tree and Lights in the Van today.

Archery Club, but not sleeping in the Van until Boxing Day.:upsidedown

Putting up the Christmas Tree and Lights in the Van today.

Goodness,

Have the Welsh longbowmen never got over Crecy :shocked

redacted... TMI

Last edited:
Just got back from a week in Snowdonia and washing the salt from the Bristol Belle. Then hoovering the mats inside so it is acceptable to other people to go into again.

Goodness,

Have the Welsh longbowmen never got over Crecy :shocked
No.
The history is very interesting. The Welsh Longbow has a stronger pull than the English, so I have been told, and more accurate. Much sought after bowmen as they could strike further into the ranks of the enemy and by aiming up had a greater strike force on the descent.
But still learning myself. Not sure which style to adopt yet but definitely not the Compound Bow.

No.
The history is very interesting. The Welsh Longbow has a stronger pull than the English, so I have been told, and more accurate. Much sought after bowmen as they could strike further into the ranks of the enemy and by aiming up had a greater strike force on the descent.
But still learning myself. Not sure which style to adopt yet but definitely not the Compound Bow.

So much myth about the welsh and the longbow, egged on by Shakespeare and the tales of Fluellin.

The welsh longbow evolved without the use of horn I believe, and the bows much used in South Wales were of Wych Elm and were reputed to be tougher and more crude, which of course would be an heredity feature as the Romans certainly found the Silures to be of the same:shocked

A lot of it descends from tales of valour at Crecy, and the very tight knit clan brotherhood of the 2,000 or so Welsh longbowmen there (not in the majority as is often thought, but certainly an almost equal minority). Apparently they also liked to sing in Battle, and if I was a french nobleman then the cries of "Men of Harlech" rising above the howl of Arrows would certainly make me run for the hills!

Of course by the time we move the clock on to Agincourt so we see the numbers dwindle to about 500 Welshman turning up, thanks to the antics of a bloke called Owen Glyndywr.

If I had not immersed myself in Anglo/American history then my interests would have certainly followed the Celtic tribes, a fascinating and proud history of which we as a nation still remain widely ignorant.

Last edited:
Sorry Jen, but I have to report that I am at home, in East Sussex, in the dark because of a power cut. But I'm smug because I know if I need to I can abandon the house and get warm and fed in the Cali.

Almost hoping the power won't come back.

Rick

Sorry Jen, but I have to report that I am at home, in East Sussex, in the dark because of a power cut. But I'm smug because I know if I need to I can abandon the house and get warm and fed in the Cali.

Almost hoping the power won't come back.

Rick

Using the Cali as a welcome and trusty refuge from the vagaries of domestic utilities supply is a most laudable reason to be reporting in and sheltering in the vicinity of home is not to be confused with languid domesticity in the abode itself!

Another Cali to the rescue! :shocked

Using the Cali as a welcome and trusty refuge from the vagaries of domestic utilities supply is a most laudable reason to be reporting in and sheltering in the vicinity of home is not to be confused with languid domesticity in the abode itself!

Didn't understand a word of that lol

Power back on, darn it.

Cali in van mode today. Quick run to IKEA to buy Xmas trees. We did say they were making a mistake advertising the offer. And they did - no trees - and no more trees coming in!!! Darn it.

Still the meatballs and chips filled a hole.

well why didnt you say that in the first place lol

well why didnt you say that in the first place lol

If I made it that simple then my students would know what I was talking about and my Uni-cred would take a nose-dive!:shocked

Just went a small trip into the woods, to attend a business meeting for lunch, in a nice restaurant where they BTW brew their own – very nice – beer.

Just went a small trip into the woods, to attend a business meeting for lunch, in a nice restaurant where they BTW brew their own – very nice – beer.

A perfect trip! Love it. Enjoy the nice beer and sleep it off?

Just arrived back in DERBYSHIRE after 900 mile trip from SW France. Why do the drivers on motorways insist on driving in the central lane when inside lane is empty?????

To misquote George Mallory ..... "because it's there"?

We had a 'King Lear' thing in the Village Library last week....a mix of English and Portuguese....as if Shakespeare is not hard enough to follow....

Back