Solar - Controller WRM15 dualB - Bluetooth help

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello all:

Our California came with 2 solar panels and the Western WRM15 DualB controller. The Controller also has the Bluetooth module fitted (top left corner in the image below). The manual gives the steps to reset the password but no instructions on enabling the pairing mode on the Bluetooth module. I have an open ticket with Western tech support today, but thought that I would ask on here for any inputs). My phone currently does not find the module. The app also searches but does not find the module.

For those interested in a read, :)the manual is here - https://www.western.it/prodotti/wrm15-dual-battery/

IMG_20200305_154910 (1).jpg

I have that controller, it’s a while since I fitted it but I don’t think you go through the pairing process, you just go into the WRM monitor app and scan for it. If it gives a password error, kill the app and restart it.

I have that controller, it’s a while since I fitted it but I don’t think you go through the pairing process, you just go into the WRM monitor app and scan for it. If it gives a password error, kill the app and restart it.

Thank you @motacyclist. A question - is there a blue light on your WBLE module?

Similar to the NASA BM-1 the app will scan for it, but it doesnt need pairing.

Thanks @MattBW . It was the phone. I have a Pixel2XL - which refused to find/connect. The iPad Mini2 found it immediately and started giving me the stats.

So as an advice to any one who comes across this thread - try with different phones as some of them may not work. Now plan to use an old iPhone 4 as a permanent monitor attached next to the WRM DUAL B module with a permanent feed from the USB out port of the controller.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

If I remember rightly, it might have something to do with Bluetooth versions on phones. Not totally sure and it's hard getting information out of Western Co.

If I remember rightly, it might have something to do with Bluetooth versions on phones. Not totally sure and it's hard getting information out of Western Co.
That's correct Roger and the Pixel 2 XL is quite notorious for Bluetooth incompatibility/flaky Bluetooth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve got the same controller fitted by Roger a while ago. The controller has now started to show zero production. The Cali is in an open field, glorious sun and no cloud cover but the app is showing as zero production.

The fuse is good and the “status” LED on the device is illuminated but the “charge” is not. I see no obvious way to “restart” or “reboot” the device either with the device itself or via the app.

does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks.

I’ve got the same controller fitted by Roger a while ago. The controller has now started to show zero production. The Cali is in an open field, glorious sun and no cloud cover but the app is showing as zero production.

The fuse is good and the “status” LED on the device is illuminated but the “charge” is not. I see no obvious way to “restart” or “reboot” the device either with the device itself or via the app.

Thanks.
What is the status of the Leisure Batteries? Fully charged?
What voltage shown on the Control Panel?

Thanks.
Hey Dr,
We had a similar issue last year... disconnected WRM from panel and both batteries, reconnected and it worked again.
hope this helps
Mark

If resetting it doesn't work drop Roger a note. We had a similar problem with ours and he sent us a fault finding procedure. Turned out one bank of the panel had packed in and it was only putting out about 10v. He sent us a new panel under warranty (they have an extended warranty period).

Thanks.
the only way to reset it is to remove all the connecting cables to the controller and then wait for about 15 mins and then connect them back again, starting with the live from the solar. Remember to be careful with the live. Best to number them and wrap with insulation tape as soon as removed. Remember the wire going to the battery will also be live.

Roger picks up emails sent to him faster than a message on here. Email is - roger.donoghue@solarcampersolutions.co.uk

Thanks folks. I’ll try to disconnect then reconnect this morning. I emailed Roger yesterday but as it was a bank holiday I wasn’t expecting an immediate response.

Joy. Speaking to Roger this morning and he seems to think the panel has failed. The 2 year warranty expired in April. 2 years seems pretty bad life for a panel or am I wrong?

Joy. Speaking to Roger this morning and he seems to think the panel has failed. The 2 year warranty expired in April. 2 years seems pretty bad life for a panel or am I wrong?
Yes, I would not be impressed with that.

Thanks.
If you have more than one panel try run off a single panel. Some modes of failure will prevent a good panel from producing power of in parallel with a bad panel.

If you have more than one panel try run off a single panel. Some modes of failure will prevent a good panel from producing power of in parallel with a bad panel.
Unfortunately I only have one panel so this test won't be possible. Roger has offerered a discount on buying a new panel but I still feel somewhat agrieved that the panel didn't last two years.

I've not been able to use the Cali until the first outing very recently. What's not to say it packed up during the warranty period? Clearly we'll never know

Thanks anyway

I think goods must last 6 years. You may well be entitled to a refund under the consumer rights act, 2015.

I think goods must last 6 years. You may well be entitled to a refund under the consumer rights act, 2015.

I think this clause would probably be cited tbh “You won’t have any legal rights if: it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse”. Even though it wasn’t misused I guess “wear and tear” gives a good “get out of jail” clause to the supplier and manufacturers?

I think this clause would probably be cited tbh “You won’t have any legal rights if: it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse”. Even though it wasn’t misused I guess “wear and tear” gives a good “get out of jail” clause to the supplier and manufacturers?
The supplier may try that, it’s sold as a high quality product, it’s not cheap, it has no moving parts to wear out, t should last more than two years in my view. It’s a legal protection for consumers not an optional nice to have for them to ignore.

Back