Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel advice

A

Andy Maher

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
First post ever but love the club/forum all the same.
I’m looking to place a solar panel on the roof of my 2015 Beach.
Don’t want to drill.
Want a fairly easy self install.
Just running the leisure battery off grid for fridge or cool box/lights/devices with kids.
Like the idea of using an app via Bluetooth to keep an eye on battery.
Any thoughts/ideas?

Welcome
Already a lot of discussion on this subject. Try the search function at the top right and you will be amazed.
:welcome

Hi
Don’t want to drill.
Just running the leisure battery off grid for fridge or cool box/lights/devices with kids.
Any thoughts/ideas?
Well recommended. The owner Roger Donahugh is a Forum member. Many forum members have used his kits,

Fitted a kit supplied by Roger this week, very straightforward and no drilling required. Can certainly recommend

Excellent. Looks like a purchase from Roger coming up!

if you email him with your forum name he will provide a unique 5% discount code for you to use on his website (as a VIP member) every little helps!
Can I ask what you bought altogether? Curly lead / straight and what charger and is it real as easy as is being stated to fit?
Regards
AC

Can I ask what you bought altogether? Curly lead / straight and what charger and is it real as easy as is being stated to fit?
Regards
AC
Hi
I was going to review how the purchase, install and use over a camping trip before writing anymore in this thread.
Delivery super fast.
Instructions very clear.
Really easy to install.
I went for curly lead and Bluetooth charger.
App is amazing.
It is keeping my battery on float nicely at the mo until my first camping trip with the kids since lockdown at the beginning of August.
I did a day test run with the cooler. All worked well. It was an incredibly bright and sunny day though.
Will right more after my trip.
So far - excellent. Thanks Roger!

I have picked up my T6 Ocealn last Saturday and installed Roger's kit yesterday. No drilling !

what I ordered :
VW CALIFORNIA (T5 & T6) Solar Panel Kit
SE or Beach : California SE/Ocean (full conversion with cupboards)
Panel cable type : Curly self retracting cable
Charger Type : MPPT LCD 130w Charger + MT50 Remote LCD panel

Hi
Don’t want to drill.
Any thoughts/ideas?

Fitted this on mine. Simply superb. Have more energy that I need to run everything

Hi
I was going to review how the purchase, install and use over a camping trip before writing anymore in this thread.
Delivery super fast.
Instructions very clear.
Really easy to install.
I went for curly lead and Bluetooth charger.
App is amazing.
It is keeping my battery on float nicely at the mo until my first camping trip with the kids since lockdown at the beginning of August.
I did a day test run with the cooler. All worked well. It was an incredibly bright and sunny day though.
Will right more after my trip.
So far - excellent. Thanks Roger!
Thanks for that :thumb

Fitted this on mine. Simply superb. Have more energy that I need to run everything

How did you attach to the vehicle?

Thanks for that :thumb
I have picked up my T6 Ocealn last Saturday and installed Roger's kit yesterday. No drilling !

what I ordered :
VW CALIFORNIA (T5 & T6) Solar Panel Kit
SE or Beach : California SE/Ocean (full conversion with cupboards)
Panel cable type : Curly self retracting cable
Charger Type : MPPT LCD 130w Charger + MT50 Remote LCD panel
Hi
Does the curly lead remain on the van continuously? Or do you unplug it to travel?

Hi, @mkbutters could you tell us where you route the wires into the van from the roof? A picture would be great!

This looks very interesting, since the panels by this manufacturer are very light weight and can still function fairly efficiently at high temperatures, meaning air flow beneath them is not necessary. They are also wired internally so that if a few cells of a panel are in the shade, it doesn't affect the efficiency of the others, greatly improving choice of parking position. Clearly they are not removable, but in the current climate (!) that may be an advantage, given the recent notices about bike rack thefts, which we hope will not extend to solar panels!

My van had the roof repair done 1 1/2 years ago, so far so good, so now I am weighing the disadvantages of a stuck on solution (what if I have further issues with the roof, what if the panel fails) with the advantages (invisible from the ground except for the wires, see above, harder to steal, better aerodynamics). They come as a kit with adhesive already in position and with a controller, but without wiring from the controller to the leisure battery. Given that I have a Beach with the leisure battery under the left front seat, I would be very interested in hearing what @Roger Donoghue thinks about these panels, and whether he might be willing to incorporate them into a DIY kit (curly lead, wiring to leisure battery, or even a kit with backing to make them removable).

Last edited:
Hi, @mkbutters could you tell us where you route the wires into the van from the roof? A picture would be great!

This looks very interesting, since the panels by this manufacturer are very light weight and can still function fairly efficiently at high temperatures, meaning air flow beneath them is not necessary. They are also wired internally so that if one cell of a panel is in the shade, it doesn't affect the efficiency of the others, greatly improving choice of parking position. Clearly they are not removable, but in the current climate (!) that may be an advantage, given the recent notices about bike rack thefts, which we hope will not extend to solar panels!

My van had the roof repair done 1 1/2 years ago, so far so good, so now I am weighing the disadvantages of a stuck on solution (what if I have further issues with the roof, what if the panel fails) with the advantages (invisible from the ground except for the wires, see above, harder to steal, better aerodynamics). They come as a kit with adhesive already in position and with a controller, but without wiring from the controller to the leisure battery. Given that I have a Beach with the leisure battery under the left front seat, I would be very interested in hearing what @Roger Donoghue thinks about these panels, and whether he might be willing to incorporate them into a DIY kit (curly lead, wiring to leisure battery).
Edit: On their web page they announce that very soon they will introduce a new a 190W panel.

This looks very interesting, since the panels by this manufacturer are very light weight and can still function fairly efficiently at high temperatures, meaning air flow beneath them is not necessary. They are also wired internally so that if a few cells of a panel are in the shade, it doesn't affect the efficiency of the others, greatly improving choice of parking position. Clearly they are not removable, but in the current climate (!) that may be an advantage, given the recent notices about bike rack thefts, which we hope will not extend to solar panels!

My van had the roof repair done 1 1/2 years ago, so far so good, so now I am weighing the disadvantages of a stuck on solution (what if I have further issues with the roof, what if the panel fails) with the advantages (invisible from the ground except for the wires, see above, harder to steal, better aerodynamics). They come as a kit with adhesive already in position and with a controller, but without wiring from the controller to the leisure battery. Given that I have a Beach with the leisure battery under the left front seat, I would be very interested in hearing what @Roger Donoghue thinks about these panels, and whether he might be willing to incorporate them into a DIY kit (curly lead, wiring to leisure battery, or even a kit with backing to make them removable).

My fitter took the headliner out ran the cables and then behind the cabinets etc ( Im not near the van at present so cannot photograph - sorry). If they fail (which I doubt) you leave the original in place and stick new panel to old). that would still only be circa 8mm

It is also CIGS technology (google it) ... makes a huge difference

My fitter took the headliner out ran the cables and then behind the cabinets etc ( Im not near the van at present so cannot photograph - sorry). If they fail (which I doubt) you leave the original in place and stick new panel to old). that would still only be circa 8mm
What I’m trying to figure out is if you drilled a hole and fitted the grommets included in the kit, or found another way in for the cables. Others here are bringing in the cables by making a small incision in the flex tube for the tailgate electrics, which means no drilling holes.

Back