Solar Panel Cleaning.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’ve noticed over the past few weeks, with the sunny weather we have been having, that my 100w Solar Panel was not giving the output I was used to. It’s been on the vehicle for 4+ years and 87,000 miles and I thought it might be failing due to vibration and general wear and tear as the vehicle is kept outside in all weathers.
It is regularly cleaned , as is the roof, with water and a wax car shampoo using a long handled very soft brush and then hosed down but not dried.
Anyway, close examination showed a very dull surface with a slight yellowish tinge that could be scratched with a fingernail. Ahh, I thought, I wonder if this is a build up of traffic film + the wax from the car shampoo.
Using T Cut, with a damp microfibre cloth and gentle pressure I cleaned the whole panel. What a difference. The yellow film was gone and the panel surround was now silver rather than a dull, yellow colour.
Finally I used a clear liquid polish and even though today is dull the Panel Output has improved significantly. I’ll wait for a really sunny day but it looks like the panel might go on for a few years yet.

So if your panel is losing performance give it a good clean. I don’t know if there are any special products to use for panels, something I need to look into.