Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel fitting and review

benArrayx

benArrayx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
So I bought 2 100w solar panels from Roger Donaghue at solar camper solutions.

He posted them to Spain which had me slightly worried but when they arrived they were superbly packed and in excellent condition.

a563afc2516e1a0db539d7c70d7a256d.jpg

5fa3f359ae3deb3d093e85fdc9f21034.jpg

3ec346143e2a90fcc3d4d7e5e1faa654.jpg

Getting them onto the roof was pretty simple but ended up taking ages because first I got the washer order wrong (rubber & small hole under the ali frame, large hole over the ali frame then bolt).

Then I realized that in order to route the cables down the roof rail, I needed to do that before bolting the panels on. Hence lots of screwing, unscrewing and re-screwing which was avoidable if I'd planned things a little better to start with

The most difficult thing by far was getting the cable through the existing rubber tube into the van, and then through the roof section to where I could get hold of it. I started off too high up the rubber tube (about halfway) but couldn't get the cable to the end, so I cut another hole about an inch from the end which was much easier.

1cc2f9199a093efd5a0f0de0ba7ba4ff.jpg

Getting through the roof section in the end required a guide wire which was threaded next to the thick loom cable using a torch to look in, and another torch inside to see where the gap is. Really not easy and prepare to be frustrated!

6a61b7c2611315f68a926f52a36dba13.jpg

2719eededceb386a7e30233a98e899d3.jpg

After that, installing the charger, wiring it to the battery and panels was all really easy and explained in the instructions.

Getting the battery out was a pain, be prepared for more frustration! I taped the fuse to the front of the battery for easy future access without having to remove the battery again.

I left the charger loose on the top shelf in the back cupboard with some non-slip mat and padded with other stuff. I didn't want to drill any holes and it's fine like that.

Finally I plugged in the data cable and the control unit with the cable threaded over the top of the cupboards. It's also loose in the cupboard so I can get it out and stow it away as required.

cdc67b8bf0ce7b5b734e630033357358.jpg

6be1d27a728ce074f824dbef4e27f6f2.jpg

Finally I tidied up the wiring on the roof using a small section of the packing material under the cables and junctions to protect the roof.

7067d06e76237d4496f00e2a8075f71f.jpg

I also used more of the packing material on the van floor underneath the covers I've got there, makes kneeling at the sink and cupboards much more pleasant!!

All seems to be working fine, hopefully will get chance to do some proper testing with laptop charging and other stuff plugged into the mains outlet. Will report back...

Experience up till now has been top notch, would definitely recommend Roger's solution

Here's some gratuitous shots from tonight's wild camping adventure

d638cf4a381d34d9f6d4ff5f4b04559e.jpg

0738bce4e34e44994fe2da1e10b17a2d.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Getting the Leisure battery out to make the connections is a pain, but if you use a wide blade paint scraper or something similar is much easier. Undo battery clamp, tip battery backwards towards vehicle side and put paint scraper blade over the compartment lip and under the battery. Then just pull the battery towards you up the slope and out of the compartment.:thumb

Thanks for the step-by-step guide.
Just wondering if there is any noticeable wind noise, etc. From the panels?

200w, should mean you rarely if ever need hookup, nice, I'd probably get one of these if I didnt want to carry kayaks and maybe roof boxes.

My only advice from personal experience (and not any kind of expertise) is every now and again, let the battery actually run down some.

I found that one of my leisure batteries although new, even with a good smart charger/mppt died I can only assume because of over charging during a 6 month period of no use. Also be aware many of the charge controllers turn excess power into heat (the back will be a metal heatsink), its better if its fixed or in contact with something so the heat can dissipate effectively.

Thanks for the step-by-step guide.
Just wondering if there is any noticeable wind noise, etc. From the panels?
Not noticed anything, but haven't been on the motorway yet...

A question, does anybody have their panels rigged to charge the engine battery also? Roger tells me it's a simple case of fitting a wire between the positive of a leisure battery to the positive of the engine battery - could this have any adverse effect on the electrical system?

A question, does anybody have their panels rigged to charge the engine battery also? Roger tells me it's a simple case of fitting a wire between the positive of a leisure battery to the positive of the engine battery - could this have any adverse effect on the electrical system?

Really there is NO need, as the engine start battery is just that, to start the engine. The alternator will then look after it. Guess you would also need a split charger. An added layer of complexity you do not need.

I assume the batteries are both linked already via a split charging device of some sort, this means the alternator charges both batteries when the engine is running, but only when the voltage exceeds a set amount, so that there is never a flow from battery to battery (high to low) thus preserving the charge in the starter battery.

You absolutely should not fit any additional wires between the starter battery and the leisure batteries as this will create a circuit, bypassing the protection of the VW installed split charging circuit, and potentially draining your starter battery at the same rate as your leisure batteries.

Other threads on the forum state that the factory fitted ehu charges both batteries. They also state that the split charging is controlled by the control unit, so may be more complex than my retro fit set up, which is another reason not to short circuit the factory wiring.

Last edited:
I assume the batteries are both linked already via a split charging device of some sort, this means the alternator charges both batteries when the engine is running, but only when the voltage exceeds a set amount, so that there is never a flow from battery to battery (high to low) thus preserving the charge in the starter battery.

You absolutely should not fit any additional wires between the starter battery and the leisure batteries as this will create a circuit, bypassing the protection of the VW installed split charging circuit, and potentially draining your starter battery at the same rate as your leisure batteries.

Other threads on the forum state that the factory fitted ehu charges both batteries. They also state that the split charging is controlled by the control unit, so may be more complex than my retro fit set up, which is another reason not to short circuit the factory wiring.
The reason for wanting to charge the starter battery is to be able to use the stereo when parked up without fear of flattening the starter battery, or at least to know that in the worst case scenario it will be charged in the morning...

The recommendation was to install the cable with a switch, so you can determine when current is flowing - i.e. You only enable it when it's charging and not when discharging.

Does that change any of your comments Stoneybroke?

VW prohibited my dealer from doing that for me :(

The reason for wanting to charge the starter battery is to be able to use the stereo when parked up without fear of flattening the starter battery, or at least to know that in the worst case scenario it will be charged in the morning...

The recommendation was to install the cable with a switch, so you can determine when current is flowing - i.e. You only enable it when it's charging and not when discharging.

Does that change any of your comments Stoneybroke?

Never bridge the split charging between starter battery and leisure battery - even with a switch, as the current always flows from high to low. The power in these batteries is not to be underestimated - get it wrong and an underrated wire will melt and burn in seconds!

Now if you want to power the stereo from the LB directly, that's different, but with a new, in warranty Cali, may cause problems. For a start there are two power inputs - one constant, one governed by the ignition which switches the stereo on (but now controlled by the electronic brain of the car). It is the key controlled power that you need to divert to be fed from the leisure battery, but then you have a constant feed and it stays on unless a) you have an on/off switch or b) a two way switch (SB=>stereo or LB=>stereo).
You will find plenty of write ups on how to do this on the internet, so it is possible. Recommending it is a different thing.

Charging mine from the mains recently, the LB was hooked up directly to the charger (not fitted to the Caravelle -cable through the window!), but the split charging electronic gizmo sensed that there was a charging voltage attached and allowed current to flow to the SB. I was surprised and had to look this up to check everything was working ok, but it was, and both batteries were topped up - taking longer thank expected as I have fitted uprated SB and LB!

It may be that something similar will happen in your set up. If the ehu charges the SB when (I assume) only connected to the LB, then the solar charger may provide a high enough voltage to do it to. I guess you have more sun than we have here, so you should get good output from your panels...

Get the voltmeter out and monitor both batteries before changing anything. I would be interested in the results.

Hope that helps.

Just done similar on my Caravelle with SCA roof. I have a Victron bidirectional split charge relay so the starter battery also receives a charge when the sun is out.

image.jpeg

VW prohibited my dealer from doing that for me :(

VW will tell you all sorts of things can't be done. I wanted the rain sensing wipers turning off. VW and dealer said can't be done. £30 Carista module and a single tick box and job done.
On the later vans the starter battery is charged when on hookup if the leisure batteries are up to charge so I assume a solar panel would have the same effect.

Just done similar on my Caravelle with SCA roof. I have a Victron bidirectional split charge relay so the starter battery also receives a charge when the sun is out.

View attachment 12835

This panel really looks great. DIY or where did you get it? I sure like the framing and finish …

So I bought 2 100w solar panels from Roger Donaghue at solar camper solutions.

He posted them to Spain which had me slightly worried but when they arrived they were superbly packed and in excellent condition.

a563afc2516e1a0db539d7c70d7a256d.jpg

5fa3f359ae3deb3d093e85fdc9f21034.jpg

3ec346143e2a90fcc3d4d7e5e1faa654.jpg

Getting them onto the roof was pretty simple but ended up taking ages because first I got the washer order wrong (rubber & small hole under the ali frame, large hole over the ali frame then bolt).

Then I realized that in order to route the cables down the roof rail, I needed to do that before bolting the panels on. Hence lots of screwing, unscrewing and re-screwing which was avoidable if I'd planned things a little better to start with

The most difficult thing by far was getting the cable through the existing rubber tube into the van, and then through the roof section to where I could get hold of it. I started off too high up the rubber tube (about halfway) but couldn't get the cable to the end, so I cut another hole about an inch from the end which was much easier.

1cc2f9199a093efd5a0f0de0ba7ba4ff.jpg

Getting through the roof section in the end required a guide wire which was threaded next to the thick loom cable using a torch to look in, and another torch inside to see where the gap is. Really not easy and prepare to be frustrated!

6a61b7c2611315f68a926f52a36dba13.jpg

2719eededceb386a7e30233a98e899d3.jpg

After that, installing the charger, wiring it to the battery and panels was all really easy and explained in the instructions.

Getting the battery out was a pain, be prepared for more frustration! I taped the fuse to the front of the battery for easy future access without having to remove the battery again.

I left the charger loose on the top shelf in the back cupboard with some non-slip mat and padded with other stuff. I didn't want to drill any holes and it's fine like that.

Finally I plugged in the data cable and the control unit with the cable threaded over the top of the cupboards. It's also loose in the cupboard so I can get it out and stow it away as required.

cdc67b8bf0ce7b5b734e630033357358.jpg

6be1d27a728ce074f824dbef4e27f6f2.jpg

Finally I tidied up the wiring on the roof using a small section of the packing material under the cables and junctions to protect the roof.

7067d06e76237d4496f00e2a8075f71f.jpg

I also used more of the packing material on the van floor underneath the covers I've got there, makes kneeling at the sink and cupboards much more pleasant!!

All seems to be working fine, hopefully will get chance to do some proper testing with laptop charging and other stuff plugged into the mains outlet. Will report back...

Experience up till now has been top notch, would definitely recommend Roger's solution

Here's some gratuitous shots from tonight's wild camping adventure

d638cf4a381d34d9f6d4ff5f4b04559e.jpg

0738bce4e34e44994fe2da1e10b17a2d.jpg

Now that is truly wild!! You have more space for another panel!! I am totally awestruck!

Really liking that, best of all it's clear of the roof, now I am genuinely tempted, my beach has such a small battery (68ah) so it would certainly extend my reach.

Hey - thanks for the review - it's really nice to see my products appear safely so far away (I do insure they shipping when it's outside the EU!) - I've posted all over Europe this year so far, and to Switzerland!

I put the wood in the packaging to give it some rigidity for shipping.

Regarding the battery link cable - what I suggested was for an emergency starter battery top up, where you run a fused or switched link between the batteries' positive terminals. This would get you out of trouble in a pinch. Not to be used when driving, and not to be left on by mistake as you end up flatenning the starter battery.

A small update, now I'm a trade partner :)

I've updated the printed instructions on the Cali / Beach drill free kit to explain step by step how to get the cable through the grommet and into the cupboard. I know the info is on this forum , posted by Welshgas?, but it's nice to have it in print - I did one today and had the cable through in a matter of minutes.

I've also moved the waterproof connector close to the panel so it can be stored in the rail slot at the plastic end, or pushed underneath the panel. This way if you disconnect the panel, with the wire running through the grommet, you can leave the external connector in the void between the boot door and the bodywork, so it is out of the way. Or, if you decided not to run the cable through the grommet, you can simply gather it up and put it in the rear cupboard when not in use.