Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel Kaput

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Tell me what I already know.
Full sunshine and 9.7v measured at the panel terminals.

Time for a new one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell me what I already know.
Full sunshine and 9.7v measured at the panel terminals.

Time for a new one?

Hi S2Bear
sorry to hear of the possibility of a failed Solar panel,

i remember your posts regarding the very slick looking mount you had made, which created a lot of interest from others.
Do you think the potential failure may be as a result of the solid mounting plate (heat / de lamination of backing etc) or an issue with the quality of the panel itself ?

Hi there!
I think maybe the panel has failed because I moved it from one Cali to another, it had been held / baked in a mild ‘arc’ shape for 3 years and when I undid the mountings it flattened out a bit (2 cm?) before it was bolted to the new roof - maybe it was that but it worked for a couple of days after I moved it then it just registered a big fat zero.

Regarding the mounting plate - it’s aluminium which has pretty good thermal conductivity (thinking of air cooled radiators etc) so I’m not sure it’s that but I may remodel it with slots routed out of the underside anyway, before I mount another. It was all fine until I moved it. Never mind - it is what it is - back to the drawing board!

Then this overcast Sunday morning this happens:
dc4970932a59afbee155e864776a64a5.png

YESTERDAY it registered zero anything when I looked, registered as OFF but battery voltage wasn’t high enough to justify that and given the previous test of 9.x volts at the panel socket in bright sunshine - I’m miffed.

The ONLY thing if done in between then and now was to hook up on drive for 24 Hours and yesterday I popped the panel diode cover off to have a look (but it was filled with white silicone so I put it straight back on)

Confused now.

[edit] the van van hasn’t moved in this observation time & NOTHING is turned ON, so there should be minimal drain.

Previously registered BATTERY 12.49v / panel 0 watts/ Charging OFF / direct, bright sun

Today registered BATTERY 13.19v / panel 10 watts/ Charging BULK / overcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I give up….
a56fd91bbbe8f39664c543937b8bb3f7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had som issues as well, three failed panels in three years. Any recommendations on where to find a suitable size? Most suitable for campers are way too thick.