Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel kit news for 2021 from Solar Camper Solutions

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all. We are all set for 2021 after a busy 2020.

We are well stocked with our all-black 100w Dual-EFTE panels which have proved very popular and robust. They are the best we can buy. Totally encapsulated in EFTE so there is no risk of delamination. They also have a textured surface which harvests refracted light. Current stock is 160 panels (Jan 2021), with a further 200 incoming in May/June, so good for the whole of this year.

We are also fully stocked with MPPT chargers:

Victron 75/15 - bluetooth accesible charger with a great app. (suitable for 1 or 2 panels)
Epever 120w MPPT charger with built in LCD display and optional MT50 remote display.
Epever Duo Racer 260w with built in LCD display - with optional MT11 remote display - charges your starter battery as well as your leisure battery/ies. (Good for 1,2 or even 3 panels).

We have simplified ordering choice by removing the Victron 100/20 as it's not needed for 200w of panels. We can supply it by special request.

We have on two occasions supplied 3 panel kits - 300 watts. Contact me if this is of interest. I've not put it on the site as an option yet as not sure of demand and I like to try and keep the options from getting out of control when ordering! It can cause some confusion.

We haven''t made many changes this year as I've got the kits to a point of optimisation now - I'm happy with all the components. We are sourcing all parts based on the best I can find / most durable.

- Fuse holders are now crimp-connector types, not soldered. Neater, and can be unplugged to help feeding cables behind panels. New for 2021.
- External connectors are all waterproof Amphenol (same as Deutsch) - best in class and guaranteed for 10,000 disconnects - though you should not need to find that out!
- Switched from thinwall to regular wire for the front battery connection (Epever Duo charger) as it is more likely to get crushed / rub against metal due to the cable run from front to back. New for 2021.
- Mounting washers and M6 nylock nuts are now Stainless Steel as I noticed the zinc plated ones corroding (only cosmetic). New for 2021 (+late 2020).

Prices have not increased, and in some cases decreased as I've standardised prices across the option range.

We are still happily shipping to the EU (and some non EU - Norway, Switzerland, for example). Please be aware that your country of receipt will likely add VAT on your order at point of entry - so you'll have to pay your tax to receive your parcel, the same as ordering from other non EU countries like the USA.

If you need to contact me, please follow the email or web link below , and don't use the private message facility here - I often don't get notifications on the forum.

Lets hope this year improves soon. Stay well.

R

Nice thread @Roger Donoghue
I still haven’t installed the setup I purchased from you as yet !
I am so looking forward to getting it installed.
If anybody in the West Midlands wants to see the setup Roger sells (In a months time, maybe, when lockdown is over) Feel free to message me and I am happy to show you. Or even on a FaceTime or WhatsApp video call.

Nice thread @Roger Donoghue
I still haven’t installed the setup I purchased from you as yet !
I am so looking forward to getting it installed.
If anybody in the West Midlands wants to see the setup Roger sells (In a months time, maybe, when lockdown is over) Feel free to message me and I am happy to show you. Or even on a FaceTime or WhatsApp video call.

I might Cali 69.
It’s something I’ve been pondering for a while. How many panels have you gone for...?

This will be on my to-do list once I get the Cali later this year or as a winter project.

We are well stocked with our all-black 100w Dual-EFTE panels which have proved very popular and robust. They are the best we can buy. Totally encapsulated in EFTE so there is no risk of delamination. They also have a textured surface which harvests refracted light. Current stock is 160 panels (Jan 2021), with a further 200 incoming in May/June, so good for the whole of this year.

Victron 75/15 - bluetooth accesible charger with a great app. (suitable for 1 or 2 panels)
Epever 120w MPPT charger with built in LCD display and optional MT50 remote display.
Epever Duo Racer 260w with built in LCD display - with optional MT11 remote display - charges your starter battery as well as your leisure battery/ies. (Good for 1,2 or even 3 panels).

We have simplified ordering choice by removing the Victron 100/20 as it's not needed for 200w of panels. We can supply it by special request.

We have on two occasions supplied 3 panel kits - 300 watts. Contact me if this is of interest. I've not put it on the site as an option yet as not sure of demand and I like to try and keep the options from getting out of control when ordering! It can cause some confusion.

We haven''t made many changes this year as I've got the kits to a point of optimisation now - I'm happy with all the components. We are sourcing all parts based on the best I can find / most durable.

- Fuse holders are now crimp-connector types, not soldered. Neater, and can be unplugged to help feeding cables behind panels. New for 2021.
- External connectors are all waterproof Amphenol (same as Deutsch) - best in class and guaranteed for 10,000 disconnects - though you should not need to find that out!
- Switched from thinwall to regular wire for the front battery connection (Epever Duo charger) as it is more likely to get crushed / rub against metal due to the cable run from front to back. New for 2021.
- Mounting washers and M6 nylock nuts are now Stainless Steel as I noticed the zinc plated ones corroding (only cosmetic). New for 2021 (+late 2020).

Prices have not increased, and in some cases decreased as I've standardised prices across the option range.

We are still happily shipping to the EU (and some non EU - Norway, Switzerland, for example). Please be aware that your country of receipt will likely add VAT on your order at point of entry - so you'll have to pay your tax to receive your parcel, the same as ordering from other non EU countries like the USA.

If you need to contact me, please follow the email or web link below , and don't use the private message facility here - I often don't get notifications on the forum.

R
Roger,

Do panels have a life? I have an orginal 2018 panel with an added one 2019 (newer type), is it worth upgrading the original one yet?

They certainly should last lots longer! The manufacters quote performance figures beyond 10 years so as long as there are no mechanical faults then there should be no reason to change them.

Back 7 or so years ago when all the thin panels were aluminium-backed and coated in PET they would go cloudy after a few years and you'd lose some of the performance. The surface plastic would age badly. The panels I've been selling for many years now don't have that coating, they have EFTE which doesn't cloud up (or seperate from the cells).

R
Sounds like a great product. I'll be in touch when my Ocean finally arrives Roger.
Is there a way, do you know, of making the radio (suppose I should use the 'infotainment' word these days...) play constantly if your starter battery is being charged by solar? I understand the radio switches off 20 minutes after you stop the engine, you can switch it on again, a limited number of times. But if your starter battery is trickle charging there's no need for it to switch itself off...?

My "infotainment" system will run continuously and when I first acquired my van I made the mistake of doing so for a protracted period, thus flattening the starter battery. This recharged successfully via EHU.
I fitted one of Roger's solar panels to charge both leisure and starter batteries and have monitored what happens since (parked up with no load on any battery).
What I have found is that the leisure batteries are fully charged showing 14.1V, but the "surplus" electricity will only charge the starter battery to about 12.4V no matter what. When I use EHU, the starter battery will charge up to 13.7V
As all the batteries are original fitment (7 years old) I suspect that the starter battery is on it's way out.
Whatever, I don't think that solar provides enough power to run the radio for long periods.
Note that I only have 100W; I may add another panel, depending on how things go in future.

Just get yourself one of these.

Fits in the cup holder under the Bench seat...

I was thinking of buying one of these, but I can't ride a skateboard...
I have one of these, unbelievable sound out of such a small speaker, easy to stow, ie in drivers door pocket, made for it. Great quality and reasonably inexpensive.