Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel product and support.

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
In 2013 I fitted a solar panel, purchased from Roger Donaghue, Solar Camping Solutions.
Roger is well known here and has supplied many owners with their solar panels and accessories.
Recently, on a trip to Pembrokeshire, my old panel, along with the leisure batteries gave up the ghost and I contacted Roger who supplied me with a new replacement panel and loads of support when initially I couldn’t get it to work (all my fault).
My solar set up is now working as it should ensuring a cold fridge and ongoing power which is great because we try to wild camp where possible and have not needed to hook up for 8 years of trips to France.
If you’re thinking about solar in your Cali, check out his website. https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk

Will certainly get one from him , thanks
If i get 2 x 100 w panels as a guide during wintertime , as approx figure how long should i be able to go off grid for in winter as a rough guide ?

If i get 2 x 100 w panels as a guide during wintertime , as approx figure how long should i be able to go off grid for in winter as a rough guide ?
Depends on the weather. The most recent panels don’t need sun to charge and if it’s not too hot then the fridge won’t need to work as hard.
Also, of course your power consumption but I’d be confident in getting a week of power. Obviously, if you drive then the batteries charge so you’ll be in a good position to have enough power to meet your needs.

For you info.
If you leave fridge on and leave the camper in airport.
The solar will not charge your starter motor battery.
So after 7 days, very low 11.9v starter motor battery.
The starter batt powers the control panel which controls your fridge via a temperature sender.
So when fridge gets warm,
The fridge compressor runs from pass Lesuire battery. (Both Lesuire’s (Pass and wardrobe) connected via a cube fuse, located on top of +ve battery post under the wardrobe)
Good luck.
Also, VW do not class it as a fridge.
It’s a cool box….
But we all use it as a fridge

IMG_7478.jpeg
3x 120w panels in series, via a Victron 100/20 works nicely in winter..
Powers fridge, starlink, slate AX router, laptop USB C, fan, night heater, 12v to 48v boondocker, and charge mobile phone.
If you think you’re going to expand your power usage. Go bigger first time.
I’ll be able to upgrade with a Bluetti power supply to then charge the e-bike.
So the solar will charge the bluetti 2000w and then the bluetti will charge the e-bike over night.
The downside with Campervan is the batteries.
They don’t hold enough charge…
Thus the bluetti is a perfect upgrade…
And can be moved into the next larger companion RV when funds allow.
Or can be used in the house in case of a blackout….

Last edited:
Think I meant a temperature sensor

The sensor is monitored by the control panel.
I think this is what I’m trying to say..
Then tells the compressor to start to cool the fridge.
The compressor is powered by the Lesuire battery’s.
The temp sensor is powered by the control panel above your yed

View attachment 115286
3x 120w panels in series, via a Victron 100/20 works nicely in winter..
Powers fridge, starlink, slate AX router, laptop USB C, fan, night heater, 12v to 48v boondocker, and charge mobile phone.
If you think you’re going to expand your power usage. Go bigger first time.
I’ll be able to upgrade with a Bluetti power supply to then charge the e-bike.
So the solar will charge the bluetti 2000w and then the bluetti will charge the e-bike over night.
The downside with Campervan is the batteries.
They don’t hold enough charge…
Thus the bluetti is a perfect upgrade…
And can be moved into the next larger companion RV when funds allow.
Or can be used in the house in case of a blackout….
Are your panels from Roger? Looking at the rear one the fitting is different from the others.

Are your panels from Roger? Looking at the rear one the fitting is different from the others.
No, I bought them from
And fabricated the brackets myself.

For you info.
If you leave fridge on and leave the camper in airport.
The solar will not charge your starter motor battery.
So after 7 days, very low 11.9v starter motor battery.
The starter batt powers the control panel which controls your fridge via a temperature sender.
So when fridge gets warm,
The fridge compressor runs from pass Lesuire battery. (Both Lesuire’s (Pass and wardrobe) connected via a cube fuse, located on top of +ve battery post under the wardrobe)
Good luck.
Also, VW do not class it as a fridge.
It’s a cool box….
But we all use it as a fridge
The following comment only applies to VW Oceans and Coasts with 2 leisure batteries and a split charge relay.

It depends how the solar is wired. Mine does charge both the starter and leisure batteries through a Victron Argofet and a switch if I leave it parked up for a while..... not the cheapest or most elegant solution but diagram is here:

Alternatively there are MPPT chargers with dual battery capability which would be cheaper and more elegant. Whatever the solution, it is very important not to bridge the split charge relay or the leisure battery circuits get used for engine starting, and if the starter battery gets discharged, then too much current is drawn from the leisure batteries and either fuses will blow or the wires will melt.

We have had 3 of Rogers panels + fridge running 24/7 for 3 years now, doubles as a beer fridge on the driveway. We have never run out of power or needed EHU. As long as you have daylight, the batteries will charge.

We also have a small lead / device that connects from leisure to main battery 12v sockets.
Excess solar then trickle charges main battery.

Thanks @California_Ocean I did mean to copy in @Little owl1963 , as his screen name shows he has a
T6.1 Ocean 150.
But good clarification.
I also have a
Victron Orion 12v to 12v 9A 110W DC-DC converter isolated 12--12-9A (110W)
Under the passenger seat connected from Lesuire to split charge relay with a separate switch to charge my starter motor, when I leave it for more than 5 days at the airport.
Knowing my starter is charged when I return is invaluable. And also if I needed an ice cold can of pop after horrific flights and millions of people trying to enjoy themselves whilst I’m working ;)

Back