Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels and wildlife

zinglefiffy

zinglefiffy

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have solar panels on our shopping list. We also have a cat who thinks the Cali and the neighbours cars have been parked to provide him with premium sun-lounging facilities. in fact, on arriving home with new cali, by the time I'd entered the house and the kids had come out to have a look, it already had muddy pawprints up the windscreen and a very pleased moggy on its roof.

So this poses a question - are the solar panels robust enough to cope with this behaviour? Will they deal with:

1) being lounged on by a lion-like domestic cat
2) potential scratches from cat-claws
3) muddy pawprints etc requiring anything more cleaning than rain would provide?

We have solar panels on our shopping list. We also have a cat who thinks the Cali and the neighbours cars have been parked to provide him with premium sun-lounging facilities. in fact, on arriving home with new cali, by the time I'd entered the house and the kids had come out to have a look, it already had muddy pawprints up the windscreen and a very pleased moggy on its roof.

So this poses a question - are the solar panels robust enough to cope with this behaviour? Will they deal with:

1) being lounged on by a lion-like domestic cat
2) potential scratches from cat-claws
3) muddy pawprints etc requiring anything more cleaning than rain would provide?
As they are Black they will get hotter than the surrounding roof so may not be his preferred spot.
Our cat goes on the roof, but steers clear of the Solar panel, even walks around it.

Last edited:
The panels we use are held taught over the roof so number 1) is no problem. They don't flex once fitted,

2) scratches - not great if they get through the thick plastic layer, but cats don't scratch flat surfaces , they scratch vertical surfaces to keep their claws under control. My parents cat slept on their BMW soft top for years and the only issue was cat hairs. Not a scratch (cats don't use their claws to climb smooth surfaces either)

3) just wipe over before going away. It's just mud after all. Rain isn't great at cleaning cars, as my Landover will testify too :)

Sorry for the long delay...

Thanks for the reassuring advice. The panels remain on the shopping list

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk