Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels

D

Dave Packer

Hi anyone help with what solar panel size I would need (on roof) to keep fridge going / topped up I between charges?? And any recommended installation companies

Many thanks

this is a bit of a tricky questions. Solar panels output varies massively depending on cloud cover and position regarding the location of the sun. Technically a 100w panel should be capable of creating 8.3amps of power per hour, however it is unlikely you would get anything like this even in perfect conditions as much of the power is lost in the solar charge controller etc. Another thing to think about is that many of the thin semi flexible panels fail within 12 months this will be within warranty however it is a major headache as these get bonded to the van roof with high strength polyurethane based adhesive. I have been mulling over the pros and cons of solar panels for a while and the best solution I have been able to come up with is to use the solid framed type (far more reliable than the flexy ones) and mount it to a set of dedicated roof bars with a waterproof plug socket on it. This would allow you to remove the panel easily if it fails, and plug it in when needed (remember you don't need it to work whilst driving as you will be charging from your split charge relay). It also means you wont have to drill through the skin of your van anywhere or cut the pop top canvass :thumb. If this is something that interests you feel free to drop me an email or give me a ring.

M
this is a bit of a tricky questions. Solar panels output varies massively depending on cloud cover and position regarding the location of the sun. Technically a 100w panel should be capable of creating 8.3amps of power per hour, however it is unlikely you would get anything like this even in perfect conditions as much of the power is lost in the solar charge controller etc. Another thing to think about is that many of the thin semi flexible panels fail within 12 months this will be within warranty however it is a major headache as these get bonded to the van roof with high strength polyurethane based adhesive. I have been mulling over the pros and cons of solar panels for a while and the best solution I have been able to come up with is to use the solid framed type (far more reliable than the flexy ones) and mount it to a set of dedicated roof bars with a waterproof plug socket on it. This would allow you to remove the panel easily if it fails, and plug it in when needed (remember you don't need it to work whilst driving as you will be charging from your split charge relay). It also means you wont have to drill through the skin of your van anywhere or cut the pop top canvass :thumb. If this is something that interests you feel free to drop me an email or give me a ring.
many thanks for the advice. Never heard about the "thin" ones failing !!!

Just do a search on the forums, you'll be overloaded with information.

Trouble with the solid frame panels is they weigh around 16 KG depending on size. The flexible ones, yes there are reliability issues, are only 2.8 KG .
Bearing in mind you have, on a full Cali, a usable payload of 488 - 508 KG.

Have a look on eBay, Lensun are selling a fibreglass backed flexible panel that looks like it overcomes the problems of the cheap Biard flexi panels.

We use a CIGS flexible panel, at the end of each day at busfest, cloudy Friday and Saturday, our large gel battery was fully charged. We had the fridge on 24/7, charging phones, lights etc.

Suggest you measure your roof for 2 x 100W semi flexible panels, + 1 x marine cable gland, .. 1 x Victron MPPT Blue Solar controller. I fitted same to an SCA elevating roof four years ago, (2 x 90Ah leisure bats), solar looks after, .. 12v compressor fridge and12v diesel heater, lighting, radio and Victron Cyrix,battery combiner to include vehicle starter battery, never needed 240v hookup since. To mount panels, pieces of closed cell foam say 5mm thickness centre of panels to prevent drumming, then ... edges of panels only, ... bead of Sikabond, sink in a length of polyester para cord or similar, cover with nother bead of Sikabond and mount panels, if a panel is accidentally damaged, run round edge with stanley blade to remove.

Q, Why haven't VW incorporated solar into elevating roof of T5.2 / T6 California ?

Rgrds,

Rob H.

In response to Rob H's post above I think the reason why VW don't install a panel into the roof, is firstly the majority of owners don't use solar panels. At the recent Calis on the Farm, I saw two panels. Secondly elevating roofs do not lent themselves well to solar panels when in the elevated position, not unless you happen to be parked in the right position. Thirdly, I think that VW would prefer to sell batteries that are not well maintained, and solar gets in the way of that. Whoops I am being a bit cynical.

Not sure what batteries are installed in T5 Calis, if they are like the Gel batteries in the Westie, then absolutely make sure that the charge profile of the solar controller matches the charge profile of the battery, if not your battery/batteries will be damaged in little time. For example, our Exide Gel battery needs a constant 14.2v from solar, other typical PWM and MPPT controllers would damage our battery by either overcharging or under charging. I bought a specific solar controller which was programmed with the correct charge profile.

I can confirm that an 80w panel won't cut it (as I have one on my T25), I used a simple spreadsheet to work out my consumption (based on my devices), assumption about hours of daylight and the panels average output (not just peak).

I will see if I can share it, its nothing special but it lets you have a think about what you need. I seem to recall 120-150w should allow you to run a compressor fridge without ever hooking up or driving. 100w would be on the line I suspect depending on the weather and time of year at least here in the UK.. Depends of course on your battery setup too and what other devices you use in the van. Before the compressor fridge, my leisure battery was always full except at night and it was full again in the morning by 9-10am. After fridge I can go 5 days without hookup.

I am no expert but this helped me work out what I needed. It will vary depending on your fridge, your batteries, how much you use lights and radio etc and what else you plug in.

This example is my T25, with a lead acid (that is useable to 50% capacity without damage), with various devices, assuming 8 hours daylight and average draw on fridge etc.

Excel sheet attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kHEPOGsLg4WVRzbk9ENndkTTQ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
best entry point on a california ocean pop up roof to drill hole for cable ??
Do you still fit solar panel on top of the roof ??

I take it there must be a flexible cable to faciliate the roof going up an down ,
Just looking into buying one .

And should it cause any issues drilling hole in roof ? would have thought not as only small hole

best entry point on a california ocean pop up roof to drill hole for cable ??
Do you still fit solar panel on top of the roof ??

I take it there must be a flexible cable to faciliate the roof going up an down ,
Just looking into buying one .

And should it cause any issues drilling hole in roof ? would have thought not as only small hole
About here ... although if doing it again I'd go another few cms towards the rear.

07_Scanstrut.jpg

Then run the cable in the pop-top wiring channel for the lights ...

08_PanelCableRoutingInt.jpg

There’s no need to drill a hole!
feed the cable in from the roof, through the back of the wardrobe and into the rear leisure battery.

Did a few vids of the solar, powerbank set up. no drilling required.

There’s no need to drill a hole!
feed the cable in from the roof, through the back of the wardrobe and into the rear leisure battery.
No need drill. Hole ??
The solar panel os
on top of roof ,
I can't picture how wire can get from top metal roof to the inside with drilling .

We're does it run ?

Feed it through the rear hatch in the gap next to the hinge, that’s the very easy bit. Next, using a guide wire from the leisure battery housing connect the wire to it and run it behind the wardrobe. Easy.
Definitely no drilling required.

Thanks all for advise .
Just seems bit confusing with so many systems companys selling it .
So for off grid for 7 days , which system would I need to run , fridge , lights , heater , during autumn / winter ?
Would I need one solar panel or 2
Any guidance appreciated .
Heater not used in day maybe couple hours a day.

Feed it through the rear hatch in the gap next to the hinge, that’s the very easy bit. Next, using a guide wire from the leisure battery housing connect the wire to it and run it behind the wardrobe. Easy.
Definitely no drilling required.
Thanks. Sounds quite straight forward im practical person being a plumber of 40 years , sure i can do it once I no what's what .
Just case getting right one .

Thanks Paulto scroll just up california ocean shows image were he drilled hole in roof , so he did not need to drill roof then ?
Have look imaged he posted ?
So you only connect to one leisure battery then ?

Thanks Paulto scroll just up california ocean shows image were he drilled hole in roof , so he did not need to drill roof then ?
Have look imaged he posted ?
So you only connect to one leisure battery then ?

See above kit.

You only connect to 1 leisure battery as both leisure batteries on the Ocean are wired in parallel and treated as 1 large battery.
You get full instructions with the kit. If you can wire a plug then you can fit this kit.
If you want extended off-grid capability over winter in the UK then you will need at least 2 panels.

Thanks , what mean by extended.
So if was going for say max of 7 nights .
The first 2 days would run of fully charged batterys.
So for further 5 nights , would that be extended an I need 2 panels .?
Is that 2 x 120 watts

Thanks all for advise .
Just seems bit confusing with so many systems companys selling it .
So for off grid for 7 days , which system would I need to run , fridge , lights , heater , during autumn / winter ?
Would I need one solar panel or 2
Any guidance appreciated .
Heater not used in day maybe couple hours a day.
There are those on here much more qualified to answer your question accurately but my experience of staying off grid and using fridge, lights and heater are as follows. I spend more time in Europe where the weather is generally better, sunnier and therefore easier to run a fridge, open and close the roof and run lights than it might be in the UK. In my opinion it would not be possible to last 7 days just using leisure batteries.
I have a 100w solar panel and to be honest, even with this I wouldn’t be too confident of lasting 7 days of fridge, heater, lights, charging and opening and closing the roof.
I’d feel more confident with 2x100w panels.
Be patient, you’ll get accurate figures shortly.

Back