Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Power

paulo12

paulo12

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Like the idea of solar power but struggling to justify the outlay and is it actually needed what’s peoples views ??

I’m thinking those campsite charges for hook-up will soon mount up and pay for the panels in the end. But the ability to wild camp for days and work on a laptop from the van is an attraction. Also, as I can’t hook up at home, I’m hoping solar will keep the leisure batteries in good condition.
When I think what I’ve spent on options, it’s a bargain.

Like the idea of solar power but struggling to justify the outlay and is it actually needed what’s peoples views ??
if you can charge at home and will only be using pitches with EHU, then no need.

Depends...
You can get by for 3-4 days on the batteries.
We camp at lots of places without EHU.
Also gives you more options to stay at smaller sites or choose non EHU pitches that are cheaper but also sometimes quieter/nicer.

Thanks for your answers I am able to regularly charge at home However we stay at plenty of places without EHU but don't seem to have a problem Will solar extend the battery life ?? Been looking at solar camper solutions shows a single unit or a double Is a single enough ?? Thanks

Thanks for your answers I am able to regularly charge at home However we stay at plenty of places without EHU but don't seem to have a problem Will solar extend the battery life ?? Been looking at solar camper solutions shows a single unit or a double Is a single enough ?? Thanks
We have just a single panel and it does the job and does extend battery life significantly if you are Not heavy users. You can just get a single panel and add another later if required. Roger from Solarcampersolutions can supply an additional panel and connection if required.

Glad we went for a solar setup. Keeps our leisure and starter batteries nicely topped up. Reassurance that we can wild camp or go with a non EHU pitch as required.

Here’s some readings from today. Not got my head completely around the readings/controls on the display so sanity checked with Roger today.

0C4935E0-506E-4CB8-85FF-23C071C66883.jpeg

9FD58683-E0E3-4678-A2BE-93D85DC6DD24.jpeg

4740FA27-990B-4213-84B8-3ACB94A1BBD4.jpeg

1187BBC2-33C3-418D-BEB1-D78BF8835856.jpeg

Roger very kindly ran through an explanation of the displays for me:-

Hi Michael, it all looks spot on,

Image0 shows total kwh (fairly meaningless)

Image1 shows 59w being put into both leisure and starter batteries (hence the arrows going both ways) – this also means your leisure batteries are full as it won’t charge the starter unless they are full, or, there is solar energy going spare.

Image2 shows 2.8amps is going into both batteries.

Image3 shows the panes are putting out 21.3v

You can also move the focus to specific batteries with the menu keys – so you can see how much is going to each. The down arrow below the solar panel tells you you are querying all the solar stats. Move that arrow to the front or rear battery using the menu keys to query specific battery stats.

Your LB/s are full hence only 59w being generated – the wattage will decrease as less power is needed.

The starter is full too, or thereabouts – the screen shows it half full, but if you move the focus (arrow) to the front battery you can check its voltage, and anything over 12.5v at rest (not being used) is full. The graphical battery icon is misleading.

Good morning went ahead and have fitted a kit from Roger at solar camper solutions excellent service and any questions I had answered straight away highly recommend My question now is what do I need to get to charge a laptop from the 12 v sockets or is there anything I can get that uses the 2 pin inverter socket at the back of the passenger seat any links on Amazon etc would be much appreciated Thanks

Good morning went ahead and have fitted a kit from Roger at solar camper solutions excellent service and any questions I had answered straight away highly recommend My question now is what do I need to get to charge a laptop from the 12 v sockets or is there anything I can get that uses the 2 pin inverter socket at the back of the passenger seat any links on Amazon etc would be much appreciated Thanks
Search Amazon for a 12v charger for your particular laptop. Don't go for the cheapest.
You could use your existing charger with a plug adapter on the Inverter socket provided your charger is less than 300w power consumption.

Search Amazon for a 12v charger for your particular laptop. Don't go for the cheapest.
You could use your existing charger with a plug adapter on the Inverter socket provided your charger is less than 300w power consumption.

Thanks I’ll have a look I’m a little green concerning Electrics what exactly is the inverter socket how does that differ to the 12v sockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll have a look I’m a little green concerning Electrics what exactly is the inverter socket how does that differ to the 12v sockets?

The inverter converts 12v to 240v. You can plug your laptop mains charging cable into it.

The Inverter socket converts 12v to 240v mains.
If you have a T6 the Inverter is rated at 150w, or 300w on the T6. 1.

Great forum this everydays a school day thanks for all your advice much appreciated

I have one of the @solarcampersolutions panels, and it generally does the job. Couple of points that came to my attention in France / Spain / Portugal this summer though:
1. You cannot always park van at the right angle on a pitch to get the most of the sun
2. We often seem to use more than the one panel generates
3. It was so hot we tended to look for shaded pitches just so the van was comfortable in the nights as well as saving the fridge from having to be ramped up - so one panel wasn’t always sufficient
4. We stayed at many ACSI sites that were inclusive of electric
5. We tend to ‘wild camp’ for only a night or two so van probable would’ve managed without panels
6. Roofbars with SUP’s also reduces effect of panel - I’ve even thought of buying a suitcase panel and just wiring when needed to the controller but then have to carry it around in an already crowded van.
Thoughts. Apart from keeping batteries topped up throughout the year when not being used are panels really worth it?