Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar set-up - idiots guide ?

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi - i have just installed a single panel and bluetooth controller on my Beach - a fairly simple job to install and connect up, but am a bit dim when it comes understanding and interpreting the electrical info via the APP. We were away at the weekend with plenty sunshine - i had mine and a mates fridge plugged in and managed to run the leisure battery right down. i think his fridge might have been faulty as things quickly back to normal the following day (without his fridge plugged in). Is there a tutorial or idiots guide to understanding the difference between volts / amps / bulk etc that anyone has seen. Everything i can find assumes you have a basic grasp and dont have it - thanks

What size panel is it? Is it the victron bluetooth controller?

The solar regulators will show amps being output but it won't really know if those amps are less than is being drawn from the battery. I have a battery monitor to tell whether Im in surplus of the demand or not on the solar power.

The average compressor fridge will use 4-7amps when under load, but a decent one will use around or less than 1amp per hour on average as it shuts off when to temp.

Was your friends fridge a coolerbox type one? If so they will use that kind of power all the time and wont switch off when at temp.

Old thread here and folks helped me understand it.

What size panel is it? Is it the victron bluetooth controller?

The solar regulators will show amps being output but it won't really know if those amps are less than is being drawn from the battery. I have a battery monitor to tell whether Im in surplus of the demand or not on the solar power.
Thanks Matt - its 120watt panel - and yes the Victron bluetooth controller - and ref your note below yes the other fridge was a non sophisticated cooler box - mine is a Waeco CDF26 so with a bit more control

If an absorption fridge it will flatten a battery very quickly
As caravanner used to find out when I worked for Electrolux

Old thread here and folks helped me understand it.
Thanks Matt - very useful

Thanks Matt - its 120watt panel - and yes the Victron bluetooth controller - and ref your note below yes the other fridge was a non sophisticated cooler box - mine is a Waeco CDF26 so with a bit more control
I use 120w panel and generally see a max of 80w on a good day, at present that is way more than my fridge ever uses. Within a few hours of sun up my battery is usually full! I suspect it was just your friends cheap fridge that flattened your battery.

I've tested 80w panels running a compressor fridge and they keep up happily.

Compressor fridges run at about 3.8 to 4.5 amps, but only about 1/2 to 1/3rd of the time , depending on your thermostat setting.

Coolboxes and absorbtion fridges run at around 4 amps, but ALL of the time, and solar can't keep up

I've tested 80w panels running a compressor fridge and they keep up happily.

Compressor fridges run at about 3.8 to 4.5 amps, but only about 1/2 to 1/3rd of the time , depending on your thermostat setting.

Coolboxes and absorbtion fridges run at around 4 amps, but ALL of the time, and solar can't keep up
thanks Roger - i am happy that it was his cool box that ran things down - doesnt seem to have done any lt damage - i must say, having the solar set up on the roof does give you an enormous sense of wellbeing