Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Trickle Chargers

C

cotters

I'd like to maintain the starter battery using a solar trickle charger- has anyone got any experience with these?

I used a cheap and nasty one on my old Subaru Outback. I used to sit the small panel in the sunroof area and then close the hatch below it. I plugged it into the cigarette lighter socket (which I had to wire direct to the battery so it was constantly live). You need to make sure the panel is a suitably low power rating to avoid over charging the battery (I can't remember the precise details of how to work this out - google may be your friend!!) and it also needs a diode that prevents the panel draining the battery when it is dark.

The small panels that you can get from Halfrauds take these things into account.

Thanks- the reason I've been looking at these is that I appear to have an electrical wiring issue- I have an AV system- TV (we don't use it) Satnav/radio & rear camera fitted by the previous owner- this seems to drain the primary starter battery unless the isolator switches are in the off position- I forget sometimes to do this (age!). When drained the alarm seems to go off randomly, but generally at 3 am!

I have a kit that prevents the starter battery draining completely but need to get an autolectrician involved to fit & check wiring/alarm generally- have you any recommendations for the Fareham, Hants. area?

Regards
John Cotterill

I've been using this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ICP-06002IC10-S ... 562&sr=1-2

It's made by ICP Solar who supply them to dealerships to keep forecourt vehicles charged.

It connects through the OBD2 socket, so you don't have to worry about overcharging through the lighter socket.

It seems to work fine, but it's only a trickle charge, and if you're putting a heavy drain on the main battery then the vehicle won't start.

I've got one of these for when that happens: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... TATION.htm

John what year is your cali ? There was an issue with some of the satnav/stereo units draining the battery. I believe there is a replacement can-bus gateway which rectifys this problem. Maybe worth talking to your local van centre.

Google "VW RNS battery drain" & get loads of hits with this problem, most cured by later can-bus gateway.

2007- it was fitted with AV system additional to the radio but it would appear that this is powered from the starter battery rather than the leisure battery & if left on drains the battery overnight- I've bought a solenoid/wiring fitting to attempt to resolve which prevents the battery draining completely- local car electrics outfit should be able to fix. The alarm seems to have been randomly tripping whilst this has been a problem...I've accidently left the system on a couple of times not sure if this might have been the cause or that the unusually cold weather has created it.

I'll give the local van dealer a call- many thanks!

The stereo is normally powered by van battery not leisure battery, that is why it automatically switches off after 30 mins or so of use without engine running.
There are electric gizmos available to switch power source to leisure battery when ignition is off. Can't find link to site where I saw it though.

I would definitely talk to van centre as an 07 with RNS system fitted will suffer with draining battery & can be cured by a new can bus gateway.

Andy said:
The stereo is normally powered by van battery not leisure battery, that is why it automatically switches off after 30 mins or so of use without engine running.
There are electric gizmos available to switch power source to leisure battery when ignition is off. Can't find link to site where I saw it though.

D'oh - there goes my dream of listening to music whilst parked up - and watching a film on the iPad through the stereo's speakers...

... unless we get this cheap mod done I guess! (was this the link you were thinking of Andy?)

Steve

coordinated said:
Andy said:

D'oh - there goes my dream of listening to music whilst parked up - and watching a film on the iPad through the stereo's speakers...

... unless we get this cheap mod done I guess! (was this the link you were thinking of Andy?)

Steve
All is not lost Steve it stays on if the key is in the ignition :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

And if you are on hook up the van battery will recieve a small charge to keep it topped up :thumb

california180 said:
All is not lost Steve [the stereo] stays on if the key is in the ignition :)

Phew! Like a normal vehicle then ;-)

Will have to remember not to wander far from the Cali with the keys left in though!

unless we get this cheap mod done I guess! (was this the link you were thinking of Andy?)

No but the kit Autosparks says is listed on his site, but I see it is no longer available. I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere, but can not find it.

Back