Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar

B

Billtinsley

VIP Member
Can anybody give me any info on solar panels I have found a pack in maplins that can be connected to the cig lighter would that be sufficient to keep battery topped up if no hook up is available, also has anybody changed bulbs inside to led I understand a great saving and better light :crazy by the way I have got the ball rolling with van Center re roof corrosion will keep you posted regards bill candy cal

What is the output of the one you have seen in Maplins?

13w if you go on their web site it is code NOOCX THER A COUPLE of units available I was hoping that someone on this site had got something that would connect into the feed on the side of the van which would be ideal . I have seen a big motor home on a site recently in wales that had a set up that was on a trailer that converters and all sorts of tech on it, anyway page 31 in the maplin brochure has 6 different units :thumb

13w if you go on their web site it is code

Such a low output may be useful to keep your main battery from discharging when you are NOT using your Cali (ie for a few weeks over winter) but I think it is way too small to make a useful impression on the leisure battery whilst you are camping.

I've got a 50w (or 60?) panel on my roof (our's have a recess that is almost purpose built for a panel) and it helps, but I think you need to be looking at 100w to gain any type of real independence once 'off grid'.

Most motorhome folks are easier-pleased than us, as our compressor fridges can't be switched over to gas.

T4WFA said:
13w if you go on their web site it is code

Such a low output may be useful to keep your main battery from discharging when you are NOT using your Cali (ie for a few weeks over winter) but I think it is way too small to make a useful impression on the leisure battery whilst you are camping.

I've got a 50w (or 60?) panel on my roof (our's have a recess that is almost purpose built for a panel) and it helps, but I think you need to be looking at 100w to gain any type of real independence once 'off grid'.

Most motorhome folks are easier-pleased than us, as our compressor fridges can't be switched over to gas.

That's why I'm looking in to fitting one or two 100 watt panels.

Main (engine) battery should not drain if you don't use the stereo when parked.

Thanks for that will do a bit more research :doh

Andy said:
When my roof blistering has been sorted I shall fit one or two solar panels to the roof of my cali.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251572226135

I've just fitted one on our Cali on temporary basis as like Andy I'm not doing a permanent installation until the roof is sorted.
Few pics here, if anyone is interested I'll do a write up or we will be at COTF.

P1170889small_zpsd017059c.jpg
Made up some brackets and bolted it to the roof channels. Permanent fixture will be bonded lengthways to the roof to keep the height down.

P1170890small_zps817b2d19.jpg

P1170854small_zps885908aa.jpg
Wiring just held in place with duct tape at present.

P1170871small_zps7313025a.jpg
Plug & socket connection to leisure battery

P1170867small_zps70e06c70.jpg
Control unit out of the way in the wardrobe.

Putting out a good charge even in poor light, real test this weekend at Silverstone.

Be interesting to hear how it performs this weekend

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

lostlogik said:
Likewise. I've tended to be sceptical about roof mounted panels providing enough juice. Hope it works out well.
Sent from my 1020 using Tapatalk
Why, there is no reason why they shouldn't if they are powerful enough. I am aiming for 200 watts.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

It was charging at 4.1 amps earlier in hazy sun but facing away from the sun
Now dull and raining and still putting out 0.3 amps
The display shows a discharge of 0.2A at present (fridge on at 3) so it looks like it should certainly make a big difference

briwy said:
It was charging at 4.1 amps earlier in hazy sun but facing away from the sun
Now dull and raining and still putting out 0.3 amps
The display shows a discharge of 0.2A at present (fridge on at 3) so it looks like it should certainly make a big difference

4.1 amps whilst facing away from sun is good. Be interesting to see what it would be facing south.

Good to know it can keep up with fridge on modest setting in dull conditions.

It won't keep up be assured......

In Portugal on my boat I have a solar panel and a wind turbine and even out there they are only of use to trickle charge......

Run the engine or if you really need to plug into the mains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am at Silverstone testing my Solar setup. I am using a 60w Bosch briefcase style unit connected to my leisure battery. Photo's and verdict to follow in a few days.

I've a self build lwb T5.1 camper with SCA elevating roof and use two x 12v 100w semi flexible roof solar panels edge bonded (to facilitate removal if ever damaged) with B&Q Sikoflex to the roof, (index marine cable gland), and wired in parallel, Victron make a very reliable 12v solar regulator and an intelligent relay which automatically controls bi directional charging and 30 seconds emergency paralleling if required of vehicle battery and two x 90ah AGM leisure batteries.

Summer and winter. this allows permanent off grid powering of Dometic CB40 fridge, ebersacher diesel heater overnight and usual hot and cold water pumps and lighting.

As solar panels have a relatively low efficiency and are usually not optimally orientated, you do need plenty of solar capacity to utilise the available light energy from low sun, what sun ? ... in the autumn months.

Hope this helps.

Rob H.

I'm pleased to say that the solar panel performed as I expected it to at Silverstone over the weekend.
Despite the gloomy weather at times and only hazy sun at best and with it pointing the wrong way at seven last evening the batteries were still up at 12.6v and 60% and the beer still cold in the fridge.
I agree that a single 100w panel is probably not going to keep the batteries fully topped up but it has certainly made a hell of a difference.
In sunnier climes the fridge would need to be on for longer periods but this would be offset by more sun so it will be fitted permanently when the roof is done.
Like a fool I had started to put the topper on on Friday before realising that would defeat the object so it's back to Nick at Comfortz for a "window" to be inserted in the top. This may have a detrimental effect on the panel's output though as it may get hotter which will reduce it's efficiency somewhat. Time will tell.
Bit dismayed at how damp the inside of the roof was without the topper after a soaking on Friday night. I don't understand why VW can't use a better material than this.
What a race :clap :clap

Things went as well as I could have hoped for with my solar experiment.

I parked up at 11am on Thursday, connected my 60w Briefcase Solar panel to my leisure battery, ran my CFX-35 Waeco fridge at 1c, also ran lights, chargers and other stuff for 4 days and nights without further intervention.

The fridge was opened and used constantly all weekend, it chilled at least 80 cans during that period too.

I placed the panel facing roughly South, but it had a wind break quite close to the East and another van blocking the late sun to the West, so it was by no means optimally placed.

The weather, as anybody at the Grand Prix this weekend will know was... changeable!!

Before starting my Cali up yesterday lunch time, I checked the battery volts and was getting 12.4v (I don't have any whizzy battery calculator onboard)

All of this equals success in my book.

My annual trip to Silverstone is by far the longest period through the year that I rely entirely on my Leisure battery for power. Last year I had to start the engine on Sunday morning for an hour or so to get me over the finish line, so the solar gave me at least another 30 hours run time, if not significantly more.

Here are a few pictures of my set up...

Solar Panel.JPG SB50.JPG Battery Bay.JPG

Can anyone advice me on my solar install. I have a 2006 California. I've got 2 x 145 watt solar panels wired in series to a 30amp mppt solar controller and monitor. This in turn is wired direct to the leisure battery under the passenger seat. Just come back from a road trip to Croatia and found that the solar was putting in lots of amps. However, the VW display always showed a decreasing %. Both the leisure batteries are new. Both show equal voltage when checked with a multimeter and rested (although my solar is only directly connected to the passenger battery). All internal lights have been changed to LED and I only run the fridge (30 degrees min daytime temps on trip but perfect no cloud days with solar angled to the sun). Yet at one point the batteries read 30% discharge. I've noticed on the forum that most seem to wire to the cupboard battery? In the end I had to start the engine to put enough power back into the leisure batteries. Surely these two panels should keep up with the fridge 24/7 and lights for two hours in the evenings? My concern is that the power being put in by the solar and monitor is different to what the VW display is saying. Perhaps a split charging system is not distributing the solar to both batteries therefore holding back the mppt controller? Does anyone have a copy of a wiring diagram for a 2006 cali?

Can anyone advice me on my solar install. I have a 2006 California. I've got 2 x 145 watt solar panels wired in series to a 30amp mppt solar controller and monitor. This in turn is wired direct to the leisure battery under the passenger seat. Just come back from a road trip to Croatia and found that the solar was putting in lots of amps. However, the VW display always showed a decreasing %. Both the leisure batteries are new. Both show equal voltage when checked with a multimeter and rested (although my solar is only directly connected to the passenger battery). All internal lights have been changed to LED and I only run the fridge (30 degrees min daytime temps on trip but perfect no cloud days with solar angled to the sun). Yet at one point the batteries read 30% discharge. I've noticed on the forum that most seem to wire to the cupboard battery? In the end I had to start the engine to put enough power back into the leisure batteries. Surely these two panels should keep up with the fridge 24/7 and lights for two hours in the evenings? My concern is that the power being put in by the solar and monitor is different to what the VW display is saying. Perhaps a split charging system is not distributing the solar to both batteries therefore holding back the mppt controller? Does anyone have a copy of a wiring diagram for a 2006 cali?
The 2 Leisure Batteries are wired in parallel. The output from the MPPT Controller should be wired directly to the +tve and -tve poles of one of the Leisure Batteries.

The other possibility, and your California is of the age, is that you have the Earth Shunt problem. This affects the operation of the Control Panel.

Surely the panels are wired in parallel?

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
Surely the panels are wired in parallel?

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

No, they are wired in series 2 x 23volts giving 46volts max. When put through the mppt controller it outputs max 14 volts with up to 12 amps of current. This is done to reduce voltage drop over long cables (My panels are not mounted to the vehicle and therefore being more efficient).

The 2 Leisure Batteries are wired in parallel. The output from the MPPT Controller should be wired directly to the +tve and -tve poles of one of the Leisure Batteries.

The other possibility, and your California is of the age, is that you have the Earth Shunt problem. This affects the operation of the Control Panel.

Thanks, yes I've wired the mppt controller to the +tve and -tve terminals on the passenger seat battery only. The earth shunt problem could cause false readings but still wouldnt explain why i'm not keeping the leisure batteries topped up to 100% when only using a fridge and minimum lights?

Are you getting voltage out of the controller, is it actually working?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk