Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some Sad News

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Some sad news...

Driving home today - we went through a set of lights and a woman in a micra turned right and ploughed into the side of us.

I managed to hold the van and bringing it to a stop - side door - rear panel trashed - drivers door dented. All things considered we did okay - the Micra was totalled.

The woman got out and apologised and just said, I am sorry, I didn't see you, my mind was elsewhere...

Quite how you can't see a big yellow van I am not sure. I was surprisingly calm, living where i do, I accepted long ago that I share the road with the inconsiderate and those who are prepared to take risks.

And owning the van I have realised that a lot of people drive without due care and attention and don't adjust their driving for the many different types of vehicles on the road.

I was quite proud I managed to hold the van, no airbags went of but we were shook up. i would put up my pictures but it breaks my heart - those on facebook who are friends with me can have a look at them.

Insurance company great - should be able to put it all back together. When are we going to have driver refresher courses for those drivers who get older?

I ended up feeling more sorry for the woman who hit me, she phoned me up at home almost in tears apologising.

James

Sorry to hear that James glad everyone is ok. Van can be fixed :thumb :thumb

Calikev said:
Sorry to hear that James glad everyone is ok. Van can be fixed :thumb :thumb

I know - plus points were - considering the state of the car the T5 seems to be very strong :) My main concerns were my partner Katherine and the vehicle behind me and I was able to bring the vehicle to a halt.

Alex at SMG was good - gave me details on VW approved bodyshop for the work.

:cool

main thing is you are ok :D

still gutting though :sad

dave and lisa

You will tell the insurance company your night heater was trashed :thumb :thumb

Calikev said:
You will tell the insurance company your night heater was trashed :thumb :thumb

Erm one of the alloys is trashed so - erm - I wll need some new alloys :)

You have to smile, yeah we are fine. I was surprised with myself how well I dealt with it.

Thanks Dave and Lisa :)

James

What a horrible experience - feeling your pain!
How fantastic no one was physically hurt.
kitty x

Thank you everyone - no one hurt - and not important perhaps but see the van in such a state is heartbreaking.

I am sure it will be fixed and when you think about the recent floods and how people have lost their entire lives, perhaps it doesn't matter, so a perspective is important.

I drive and live in an area which I loosely describe as, 'an accident waiting to happen'.

I've had to go through so much to own Betty and one careless moment and it seems to be ruined. But i am sure she will be back.

As i said to the woman who hit us - no loss of life and we are okay - just feeling shook up and gutted.

James

Bad Luck James. :crazy

Sorry about your news and hope you get her fixed soon.

John

Cars can be fixed. People are less easy. Good to hear you are all ok.

James sorry to hear about Betty, glad everyone is OK & wish Betty a speedy recovery.

:headbang really sorry to hear.

My neighbour's 17 year old son reversed into my car 4 months ago so I know how your feeling.

Glad your all ok and i am sure the body shop will get it back to as new.

Oh no just saw this thread. Sorry to read your sad news, there are some utterly useless/dangerous drivers on our roads have had a couple of close shaves myself recently.
Without being macabre it would be interesting to see a couple of photos, perhaps before and after you get it repaired.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone - had a look this morning. Van is not pulling when driving, so hopefully the wheel is okay. Table no longer pops back into the door, so the trim has been pushed in. But the door closes and locks.

Dent.jpg

Dent2.jpg

James

Glad to hear Betty protected her owners and made sure they where safe and I'm sure she'll be fine after a little tlc ...,but its still a horrible thing to go through :-(

i got some filler here left over from my resto your welcome to it m8ty .you should have it sprayed in a brighter colour . :D does not look to bad get some T CUT :eek:

If the wheel took a knock I would get the tyre checked. You don't want a blow out and more problems ( assumes you haven't swapped it for the spare already)

I bet you were really shaken when this happened and I'm really glad that neither you, nor anybody else, got hurt. Bodyshops can do remarkable things so hopefully she'll end up looking as good as new again.
As a cyclist, incidents like this give me nightmares. If a car driver doesn't see a bright yellow van, what chance is there of spotting me!
One good thing, though, is that it should NOT affect your no claims bonus. My wife had a £4000 car accident. Not her fault so did not affect later premiums. And she didn't have ncb insurance.

NickE said:
I bet you were really shaken when this happened and I'm really glad that neither you, nor anybody else, got hurt. Bodyshops can do remarkable things so hopefully she'll end up looking as good as new again.
As a cyclist, incidents like this give me nightmares. If a car driver doesn't see a bright yellow van, what chance is there of spotting me!
One good thing, though, is that it should NOT affect your no claims bonus. My wife had a £4000 car accident. Not her fault so did not affect later premiums. And she didn't have ncb insurance.

thank you and thanks to everyone who has left messages.

Much more shaken today but fine. The main problems will be the rear wheel arch. The sad thing is, we are not surprised, I am not the greatest driver but when you look round people take risks, don't show consideration, and asI said, make no allowances for different vehicles on the road.

She said it was her fault, we had a witness who gave details. The driver said her mind was elsewhere and she hadn't seen me. I personally think she thought she'd take a chance and trying and get round then realised she wouldn't make it.

It does knock your confidence but at least some of these messages have made me smile.

You shouldn't be sentimental about vehicles, they are hunks of metal but Betty was bought with money my mum left when she died, so it does it hit that bit harder. But we are okay and the other driver is okay and that is the main things.

As soon as she is repaired i'll put some pics back up.

James

T5WOB said:
i got some filler here left over from my resto your welcome to it m8ty .you should have it sprayed in a brighter colour . :D does not look to bad get some T CUT :eek:

:thanks :laugh2

She said it was her fault, we had a witness who gave details.

That's excellent James, it is EXTREMELY important to get witnesses. It can change a potential nightmare to a comparatively simple exercise.

Good luck with it.

Very sorry to hear this.

Paulro said:
Very sorry to hear this.

Thank you and thanks Andy.

in fact Andy, I was thinking of your horror stories as an HGV driver.

Well her insurance company have admitted liability - they phoned up today, organised courtesy car etc, actually really good.

Had the van assessed this morning, it's 5k plus of damage. New drivers door - new sliding door and new rear panel. Plus the wheel is slightly bent from the impact.

All being dealt with which is a weight off my mind. Had to take massive time off from work which is a pain.

The place used by SMG was very professional and big thanks to Alex for giving them the heads up - they knew about me when I arrived, that's much appreciated.

i was assured she would look like new again - i have faith. Seriously tough though, she took a real wallop and I am glad we were in the van because of the safety aspect.

James