Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Source of the Mersey

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
A lovely day today so decided to take the van out and have a walk not far from home.
Very cold, lots of wind so probably about -10 with the wind chill.
Growing up in Buxton as a kid I used to look out of my bedroom window at these moors, always loved it up here. Lot more snow in those days though.

On the way, the van at the bottom of Parkhouse Hill

On Axe Edge moor

Looking north with Kinder Scout in the distance

Lots of old coal shafts around here, you have to stick to paths.

An old collapsed shaft

And a stone lined one, fenced off but you can still see part of the old capping.

Down to Derbyshire Bridge and this is the source of the river Mersey. Lots of streams converging to form the river Goyt which passes into Cheshire and becomes the Mersey in Stockport.

Back over the Moor with the Cat & Fiddle pub (second highest) on the horizon

The north/south watershed, to the left ends up in the Irish Sea via the Goyt/Mersey, to the left in the North sea via the Wye/Derwent/Trent/Humber

Back to the van and off home

From the eastern edge of the moor, from the right Hollins Hill, Chrome Hill sometimes called the Derbyshire Matterhorn with Park House Hill far left.

Last edited:
We did a route on Monday around the Goyt valley, Derbyshire Bridge, and visiting the village of Wildboarclough on the way back from Macclesfield. Pretty wild and fascinating territory.

Great pics by the way.

Looks like a great day out @briwy . Spent loads of time as a kid up there. Did some awsome night hikes with my youth club - good job no-one told us about those mine shafts............

PS. Technically (having been brought up in Stockport) I believe the River Mersey starts at the confluence of the Rivers Tame and Goyt in the centre of Stockport (just before it dissapears into a tunnel under the Merseyway shopping centre) - not such a scenic location for a day out!

Beautifull scenery , snow gives the landscape a whole diffrent dimension.
You have such a nice nature closeby , so jealous!