Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spanish Sign - Help required

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Can a Spanish person confirm or refute that this sign means, no camping, but you can sleep in your vehicle, irrespective of what of vehicle it is?

I know acampar means no camping but pernoctar means you can sleep in your vehicle. Is that correct?

Thank you

Image1b.jpg

I'm not Spanish but I think it says camping and staying overnight is prohibited as well as parking for more than 24 hours.

Yes that is correct, it clearly states no camping, no sleeping and no parking for more than 24 hours

But only in a tent, motorhome and caravan. Campervans are OK.
Are you able to enlighten us as to how Spain differentiates between a Campervan & a Motorhome?

Everything that I have seen suggests its exactly the same criteria as the Uk do when it comes to registering the vans & uses the same codes - ie a California is normally registered as M1 - special vehicle & is regarded as a motorhome in the traffic regulations.

Therefore if you can't park a motorhome, you can't park a Campervan.

Last edited:
Hi…normally this signes are not really legal. So it’s not really defined if you can’t stay there in a camper van or a motor home. what always happens is that if the police shows up it they will se if your car is register like a normal car (turismo in Spanish) or a motorhome (vehículo vivienda) I’m this case they will fine you

It means exactly that..you can’t stay there for more than 24hs

Hi…normally this signes are not really legal. So it’s not really defined if you can’t stay there in a camper van or a motor home. what always happens is that if the police shows up it they will se if your car is register like a normal car (turismo in Spanish) or a motorhome (vehículo vivienda) I’m this case they will fine you

It means exactly that..you can’t stay there for more than 24hs
Good explenation, thanks :thumb

Google translate:
"CAMPING, SPENDING THE NIGHT AND FILLING THE SAME PARKING FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS IS PROHIBITED.
IT IS PROHIBITED TO CAMP, OVERNIGHT AND OCCUPY THE PARKING PLACE FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS."

It seems there is a notable lack of sense of humour in the Luton area.
Was it supposed to be funny?
I can’t see anyone laughing.

Someone asked a sensible question & for some reason you think it’s a good idea to give a misleading answer.

OMG Mr Luton has left the building holding his nappy.....Try trolling someone else for a change.

Sorry - you appear to have a strange sense of humour, could you just let us know when you are trying to be funny in future so I know to respond with a laughing emoji rather than disagreeing.

Thanks.

Yes that is correct, it clearly states no camping, no sleeping and no parking for more than 24 hours
Exactly that. If you try to get cute arguing that a camper van is not a caravan nor a motor home you'll just be setting yourself up for an argument with the local plod at ungodly hours of the morning, with no good outcome.

unless at West Bay
I emailed the West Bay people:
I have heard that you are issuing PCNs to campervans that are over 4.8m long if not parked in motorhome/campervan spaces at West Bay, of which I believe there are only 15.
I have a 5m campervan which fits inside a normal car parking space and it is only 200mm longer than most estate cars.May I ask, why is this?

They replied: The length of a standard parking bay is 4.8m and therefore your 5m vehicle would not fit within the bay and is therefore required to park in a motorhome bay. Works van that are longer than the 4.8m standard bay would be required to park in a multiuse bay and not a standard bay.

I countered, to no avail:
Its seems you have gone for the minimum size to exact more money from motorists.

There is however a size standard for car park bays. This was specified by the government in 1994. It says that as a minimum, parking bays should be 4.8 metres long by 2.4m wide.

The typical car parking space should measure 2.8m wide by 5.0m long. This allows for a width of 0.4m for door opening within the space. The width can be reduced to 2.4m if a 0.4m clearance is available immediately adjacent to one side of the space.

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2002 prescribed a series of white bay markings to delineate areas of carriageway reserved for specified classes of vehicle or specified uses. In TSRGD 2016 the dimensions for bay markings have been relaxed, apart from those for disabled badge holders. Whilst a minimum width of 1.8 m is specified, there is no longer a maximum width, nor a minimum or maximum length.

Google translate:
"CAMPING, SPENDING THE NIGHT AND FILLING THE SAME PARKING FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS IS PROHIBITED.
IT IS PROHIBITED TO CAMP, OVERNIGHT AND OCCUPY THE PARKING PLACE FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS."
But it is not illegal to sleep in a vehicle. The law does not differentiate vehicle types. I think.

Back