Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare key - uh oh...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Have looked everywhere for our key - we have the "spare" but can't find our main one. Any ideas on a cost of replacement and where to source one?!

Oops... :headbang

Well firstly if you have a wife look in her handbag. ;)
We were just setting off on a trip the other week and I asked her if she had the spare key. After half an hour and a lot of bad language still no key until I tipped the entire contents out and there it was.

Seriously though, during this escapade I phoned the dealer and the price of a new key is £162.
You need the registration number, VIN and proof of ownership.
It seems a key has to be made by VW in Germany, shipped to the dealer who then codes it so it's a few days at best.
I'm all for security but that seems crackers to me.

briwy said:
Well firstly if you have a wife look in her handbag. ;)
We were just setting off on a trip the other week and I asked her if she had the spare key. After half an hour and a lot of bad language still no key until I tipped the entire contents out and there it was.

Seriously though, during this escapade I phoned the dealer and the price of a new key is £162.
You need the registration number, VIN and proof of ownership.
It seems a key has to be made by VW in Germany, shipped to the dealer who then codes it so it's a few days at best.
I'm all for security but that seems crackers to me.

Oh

very

darn :headbang

The times I can't find my keys but they eventually turn up,the wife normaly asks ...well where did you have them last? :crazy

You proberley put them in a safe place KernoLad!

If one actually looses a car key on a vehicle like a Cali doesn't it get tricky with the insurance company? Just thought I read this some where

Best part of £200 once supplied and coded including the VAT. As has been said, proof of ownership and photo ID required before ordering.

cheers

If you don't find it, and don't want to replace it then take the van to your local van centre and get them to programme the remaining key(s). This means that the lost one will no longer be coded to the vehicle and will not unlock it from the remote or start the engine. If found by someone the key can manually unlock a door and glove box but that would be it.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
If you don't find it, and don't want to replace it then take the van to your local van centre and get them to programme the remaining key(s).
A good -safe- suggestion. How much would that cost?

We would charge half an hours labour to programme the key(s)

cheers

Back