Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare keys x 4

B

BigJohn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All,

We're looking at spec'ing a new Ocean and I've been reading through the similar threads on here - thanks for all the great advice.

One thing that seems to come up quite a lot is adding the 4 x spare keys, is there a particular reason for this? I've only ever had 2 keys with any of my cars and pretty sure I haven't lost one yet - is it more of a loss risk when camping?

Thanks,

John

I actually added this option as well, for the sole reason that it was so heavily recommended. But now reading your post I've realised that I probably never needed to.

I've never lost a car key in my life, although I have locked my friends keys in his car (years ago). I'm not even sure it's possible to do that these days. Anyway I figured it might be useful if i need to lend the van to anyone, and if I go on any trips where I'm sharing the driving I can give the other driver a key, while making sure I have a spare at home as well. In all likelihood though I'll never use the spares.

It might be for those that buy the vans to hire out more than owner drivers, I ordered them anyway as we tend to be on and around water a lot.

I’ve never lost a key before either but ordered the 4 keys. Wish I’d put the £100 towards something else now.

I think the main benefit is that if you're "sharing" you can give a key to the others and they can keep it.

It's not an overly expensive addition. Certainly far cheaper than getting a single key replaced.

I think the main benefit is that if you're "sharing" you can give a key to the others and they can keep it.

It's not an overly expensive addition. Certainly far cheaper than getting a single key replaced.
Yes, for us we sometimes all go off doing different activities or races,not knowing who will return first, (I’m always last..) so we will have several keys, plus we are giving one to a friend who could post it out to us if we became keyless, a small risk, but it’s a small cost, plus good for resale in the future

Cheaper to buy two spare keys now than a single replacement if you lose one. Also, I understand each key saves the van settings each time it is used, so worth all drivers having their own key...so if you have 3 drivers and a surf key...

Thanks all.. good points re: multiple people going off doing different things during the day - not something we've needed to consider up till now with a tent!

I have no idea why anyone would need 4 keys...?
I prefer to have less spare keys.
Personally, more keys = less secure...