Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare tyre lock

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’m trying to fit a tyre lock that I bought from the forum website. I can undo the bolt but it won’t come out when loose. At present I am trying the middle bolt. Is this the right one and how do you get the bolt out completely so I can put the locking bolt in, any suggestions

Keep repeting myself , have you searched the forum?
There's special section with lot's of how-to guides
Edit:
It does seem not to show to fit it:mad:
On the lookout for better...
Edit:

This is the one

Last edited:
I’m trying to fit a tyre lock that I bought from the forum website. I can undo the bolt but it won’t come out when loose. At present I am trying the middle bolt. Is this the right one and how do you get the bolt out completely so I can put the locking bolt in, any suggestions
The Wheel Carrier has 2 bolts. The L hand one is a fixed bolt, it can be undone but not removed.
It’s the R hand one you need.

I found it a bit of a faff getting the new bolt to line up and the thread to catch, but eventually fitted ok.

Hi Hotel California. apologies if my questions are not acceptable. I did a search under tyre lock nothing explaining what I needed came up. I was In the middle of trying to fit it and thought the forum could help. As it did, it allowed me to continue to fit it without packing everything thing up. I am confused I thought the forum was to help fellow owners. We are new owners so have lots of questions. I always do a search first before asking a question. I have to be honest I am starting to feel like I am being told off for asking questions, questions that I might add have resulted in answers that helped a lot. If there is some sort of limitation on when or how to ask questions, I would be grateful if you could explain the protocol

If you are not finding me helpfull i don't know what part you don't understand .
I'm just pointing you out in the direction of answers .
This forum is full with solutions to almost every question , it does requires some skills using the correct key words using the search function , and the fact many people many times do postings in wrong forum sections making them hard to find.
Anyway , think you are beeing given quite some good tips , or not ?
Thats what you asked for no?

“Keep repeting myself , have you searched the forum? “Sounds like a reprimand. That’s why I asked you if the questions where ok. You are a moderator so thought it best to ask. Yes I find this forum fantastic and gained so much information from it and the questions I have asked have been given great answers, which I am grateful for. Apologies if I have misunderstood your intentions with that comment. So it’s ok to keep asking questions if I can’t find the answer after a search ?

Hi Hotel California. apologies if my questions are not acceptable. I did a search under tyre lock nothing explaining what I needed came up. I was In the middle of trying to fit it and thought the forum could help. As it did, it allowed me to continue to fit it without packing everything thing up. I am confused I thought the forum was to help fellow owners. We are new owners so have lots of questions. I always do a search first before asking a question. I have to be honest I am starting to feel like I am being told off for asking questions, questions that I might add have resulted in answers that helped a lot. If there is some sort of limitation on when or how to ask questions, I would be grateful if you could explain the protocol

Once you’ve been on here a while you will see this process repeated a number of times and if you have a quick peek at HC’s profile you will see just how many times he has posted and most of these are helping new owners.
We all have different ways about going about it, different personalities and different styles.
Don’t feel put off.
At the end if the day HC pointed you in the right direction and gave a link to help.

Mike

I find the same as you. When I search the forum for something it sometimes comes up with the answer but often the answers are buried in long threads and easy to miss. I am sure for some who have been long term members and seen it all before that it can be frustrating when the same questions are repeated, but I find the majority on here just want to help and share the benefit of their experiences with us novices. The forum has helped me greatly, so keep asking your questions and I am sure you will get the answers you need.

Thank you everyone for this fantastic site and all the advice and help it gives

Don’t forget to grease the bolt before you fit it. I don’t fancy trying to get one of those out with the pin key after it’s all corroded!

You’ve done the right thing fitting one. I had mine stolen off my drive. I must be unlucky, there’s a Kombi near me, parks in a parking bay on the main road on a slope so his spare wheel is there to see. No lock on it and it’s been there months and not taken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I did not grease it, what type of grease do you use, having never greased anything automotive

Oh I did not grease it, what type of grease do you use, having never greased anything automotive
Is this a serious question ? !!
Incase it is, a greasy type of grease will be fine.
I would personally recommend either Castrol LM Grease, or a copper anti- seize Grease, the copper grease being my favourite, because I like the colour.
In fact as I said, any greasy grease will do.

@icic , any grease will do, as the objective is to ensure that it does not rust and bond the nut to the welded bolt.

However, any general grease may just cause the nut to become loose again, due to the lubrication properties of the grease. The better option in this case would be copper grease, which will prevent rust, but at the same time is not as 'greasy' as normal grease. Hope that makes sense. a little dollop of copper grease on the screw before inserting it in place is all that you need to do.

I pushed a cork in the opening accesing the security bolt(a Champagne cork from Nowack :cool: )that way the bolt stays clear of dirt and moist..last thing you need is not getting it loose when needed.
Also good to try it out now and then , once or twice a year , keeps rust on the bolt away .
And in the meantime check the pressure on the spare tyre...
....i know ...i'm a freak what can i say.

Last edited:
Back