Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel carrier 15" to 16"

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
I've just replaced my factory Standard steel 15" wheels (195/70R15) with 16" alloys (original VW wheels - see pic) 225/60/R16 on my 1999 T4. I also bought a fifth for the spare, but there is my problem... The spare wheel hanger is not deep enough to hold the alloy (the 225's are are of course 3cm wider).
There are 3 positions to support spare hanger, but none will take the bigger alloy's width.
Is there an alternative hanger cradle or a kit to adapt the existing hanger?

Thanks
Matt

BBS 16 inch wheel - T4.jpg

Thanks! Though a quick google on those parts, looks like i will have to go to VW for them... :confused:
I feel a DIY moment coming on...

Matt, as a slight detour, where did you find your alloys and are we talking serious numbers of beer tokens? My 15's are a bit tatty and tempted to go bigger but want to keep it OEM which yours are.

Matt, as a slight detour, where did you find your alloys and are we talking serious numbers of beer tokens? My 15's are a bit tatty and tempted to go bigger but want to keep it OEM which yours are.

Well... It was keeping it 'OEM' that led me to these particular wheels... I'm living in Belgium and couldn't find any on the usual second-hand outlets here, so ended up in Germany for mine (strangely enough any I found were usually around the Hamburg area? I can point you to a good 2nd hand website in Germany if you're fancying a roadtrip!).

An average set I found were anywhere in the region of 400-700euros (with tyres and depending the state of the rims and tyre). Not cheap, but they look great on the van :D
They fitted without issue. The guy selling had them on a Multivan before and he sold them with some 15mm spacers (and extra long bolts) which he said were for the rear wheels - upon trying them on I see why - without the spacers on the rears they're a bit close to the inside of the wheel arch, but fine with the spacers...

I did see a set on Gumtree during my search and even a guy in Poland selling a reconditioned set of these BBS which he was willing to ship to Belgium for a reasonable price, so no doubt to the UK too...
They're out there, its just a question of how far and how much you're prepared to go...
Happy Hunting!

Thanks to you both. Nearly bit the bullet at camperjam (or similar) last year with a Polish guy, but 3 out of 4 needed a full refurb so it all got too expensive.

Back