Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel question

paul-thompson

paul-thompson

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Kindly had my 17 inch alloy stolen from under my california.!!!:mad:

Now looking for a spare 17 inch tyre - probably going to just buy a steel.

Does anyone know where best to get one ? or have any advice in buying one??

thanks in advance

So annoying! My local garage found one for me, also the local VW parts place called TPS. That’s near Cambridge, not sure where you are. TPS were slightly cheaper. https://tps.trade/

My local garage actually ordered via TPS and charged me a little to get it and fit a tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do get a steel as a spare, paint it in something tough - otherwise it will get really rusty really quickly under there, well mine has anyway.

Kindly had my 17 inch alloy stolen from under my california.!!!:mad:

Now looking for a spare 17 inch tyre - probably going to just buy a steel.

Does anyone know where best to get one ? or have any advice in buying one??

thanks in advance

I have an unused VW 16” steel & Tyre that was originally supplied with our Beach; We now have a spare alloy...so the steel will be up for sale soon.

Last edited:
I paid £20 for a steel with a nearly new tyre on facebook marketplace - since i put a tatty steel on noone has been bothered to nick it

Bare wheels on Ebay for about £45, get a part worn tyre fitted.

Wheels with tyre £110 incl delivery. usually 215/60/17 tyres but good for a spare.

If you can use a 16" then dirt cheap.

Bare wheels on Ebay for about £45, get a part worn tyre fitted.

Wheels with tyre £110 incl delivery. usually 215/60/17 tyres but good for a spare.

If you can use a 16" then dirt cheap.

I know from experience that 16” don’t fit. The break callipers are too big. I lost £30 on the stupid thing.

Campervan converters usually have some if there’s one local.

That's shocking. Disgraceful. Your Cali Owners' Club membership is hereby suspended until you provide another pic of that wheel properly Hammerited.

I'm just off to Get A Life.
:upsidedown

That's shocking. Disgraceful. Your Cali Owners' Club membership is hereby suspended until you provide another pic of that wheel properly Hammerited.

I'm just off to Get A Life.
:upsidedown
Well no one is going to spend time nicking that one.:bananadance2

For what it's worth, the first thing I always do on new vehicles is to spray the spare wheel and anything else underneath that's likely to rust, with Dinitrol clear wax e.g spare wheel carrier, springs, swinging arms, anti role bars etc. It's a messy job but the results are very effective at keeping rust at bay. If you are thinking of doing this, protect the brakes with a large plastic bag before you start and avoid coating the exhaust. Most of these steel components have only been given a quick coat of black paint so they will start rusting as soon as the first salt hits them, if not sooner. I always give special attention to those funny shaped screw on washer fixings that hold the heat sheilds etc in place. They always rust and eventually fail leading to rattles and resonance from loose shields and plastic components. The rest of the underside is unlikely to rust because it's either been galvanise dipped or is plastic. I did notice that VW had sprayed the underside of our latest Cali (sheet steel pressings only) with clear wax but not to the same extent as they use to in the eighties and nineties. Back then every thing including the engine was doused in protective wax and the box sections and doors etc were also treated to a liberal dose of the stuff. So much so that it could be seen in solid form along the lower door and sill seams.

This is the product I used this time. There is a plastic spray gun trigger thingy which clips onto the top. You have to pay extra for it but it isn't that much. If you buy several tins they often throw one in for free. I use this product as it seems to provide much more permenant protection than say Waxoil. Other similar products are available.

20200203_100318.jpg

Last edited:
Back