Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare Wheel - Should I Have One?!

Paul Grice

Paul Grice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
When I bought my Beach last June I was too excited and short of time to read the manual and scrutinise the thing from top to bottom. I just got in and headed for Scotland. Now I have a bit more time on my hands to read this excellent website and I'm checking over all the suff I should have looked at 11 months ago.

So I finally got on my hands and knees to familiarise myself with the spare wheel but simply found a large space under the vehicle where I beleive the spare wheel would normally reside. Before I contact the dealer I thought I would check with those that are more familiar with this vehicle than myself... have I been diddled or is this an optional extra?!

I guess I'm dumb for not checking this last June!

When I bought my Beach last June I was too excited and short of time to read the manual and scrutinise the thing from top to bottom. I just got in and headed for Scotland. Now I have a bit more time on my hands to read this excellent website and I'm checking over all the suff I should have looked at 11 months ago.

So I finally got on my hands and knees to familiarise myself with the spare wheel but simply found a large space under the vehicle where I beleive the spare wheel would normally reside. Before I contact the dealer I thought I would check with those that are more familiar with this vehicle than myself... have I been diddled or is this an optional extra?!

I guess I'm dumb for not checking this last June!
If your Beach came with 18" wheels, then No Spare wheel, No Carrier, just a Chemical Tyre Inflation kit.
If you had the standard 16" or 17" wheels and you have a Spare Wheel carrier then as @Meoncoast stated, the spare has probably been stolen.

aaah that's interesting. I'm new to all this and wouldn't know an 18" allow from a cheese sandwich. I bought this ex-demo job because it drove well and I liked the features. I think somebody ordered l the fancy spec then backed out of the purchase until I walked into the showroom with the "sell to me" look on my face. and bought it.

I went outside after reading WelshGas's post and measured the diameter of the hub cap which seems to be 19 1/2 inches which I guess means the wheel itself is probably more likely to be an 18" than 16 or 17.

So.... interesting to learn that no spare wheel is normal if you have 18" wheels which must be my situation and so... relief I have not been diddled.. hooray.. I cidentally, my house s completely surrounded by fencing and I have security gates so very unlikely that anyone has nicked it. However, I haven't found the tyre inflation kit yet but I do have AA membership and I'm sure the man from the AA has one! :)

Heres the wheel in pic below... that look like an 18 incher?

thanks for the feedbackIMG_1289.JPG

P

aaah that's interesting. I'm new to all this and wouldn't know an 18" allow from a cheese sandwich. I bought this ex-demo job because it drove well and I liked the features. I think somebody ordered l the fancy spec then backed out of the purchase until I walked into the showroom with the "sell to me" look on my face. and bought it.

I went outside after reading WelshGas's post and measured the diameter of the hub cap which seems to be 19 1/2 inches which I guess means the wheel itself is probably more likely to be an 18" than 16 or 17.

So.... interesting to learn that no spare wheel is normal if you have 18" wheels which must be my situation and so... relief I have not been diddled.. hooray.. I cidentally, my house s completely surrounded by fencing and I have security gates so very unlikely that anyone has nicked it. However, I haven't found the tyre inflation kit yet but I do have AA membership and I'm sure the man from the AA has one! :)

thanks for the feedbackView attachment 21973

P
Yes, I think they are. 18" Canberra.

P

The wheel diameter is shown on the tyre wall.

yep that looks like the same 18inch canberra wheels as on ours. The tyre inflating kit was strapped to the side of the rear seat in the little gap between the side of the seat and the kitchen / wardrobe unit.

They are indeed Canberra's, a very desirable and expensive wheel to buy. (so look after them) As days out points out, just look on the side wall of the tyre for the size (no need for a tape measure) :thumb

They are indeed Canberra's, a very desirable and expensive wheel to buy. (so look after them) As days out points out, just look on the side wall of the tyre for the size (no need for a tape measure) :thumb
Kind of shows that I'm not a petrol head! Tried reasing around the tyre rim but was a bit dark, muddy and I left my reading glasses in the house!

I know that feeling, I'm starting to rely on the reading specs more and more now :(

If you would feel safer and more prepared for a punctured tyre that won't blow up then you could carry a 17" steel or alloy spare or there is an 18" option that should fit into the spare rack, if you have one.
Because of the rim width on your 18" wheels (1" wider than 17" rims) the underslung ground clearance would be too low hence not fitted by VW.
This steel option below is the same rim and tyre width as the 17" ones. It would get you home but the punctured one would have to go into the Beach for transportation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112147325057?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
If you would feel safer and more prepared for a punctured tyre that won't blow up then you could carry a 17" steel or alloy spare or there is an 18" option that should fit into the spare rack, if you have one.
Because of the rim with on your 182 wheels the underslung ground clearance would be too low hence not fitted by VW.
This steel option below is the same rim and tyre width as the 17" ones. It would get you home but the punctured one would have to go into the Beach for transportation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112147325057?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Many thanks..... I think I'll renew my AA membership!

:)

Many thanks..... I think I'll renew my AA membership!

:)
I always think of the sods law scenario of having a puncture/blowout on a Sunday evening when no spare is carried and being at the mercy of a few hundred ÂŁ's charge to get a new tyre plus hours of delay or even until next day, getting mobile again.
I'd opt for a basic steel spare being carried.

I work for a well known breakdown company no spare wheel is just a big pain on the backside for us

P
Do you not have vw assist?

Do you not have vw assist?
They wouldn't turn up with a spare tyre plus the equipment to fit & balance it. Expect hours of delay at a minimum. With recovery being the option plus waiting for a replacement.
Assuming that VW Assist would respond to a puncture. Let someone else clarify that.

Does anyone have knowledge of when wheels are stolen. I am off in 2 weeks to Portugal, a 4 week trip. If safe on travels then I will stay without a spare safe but if more likely whilst en route I will nip off and get one today.

Edit: today went to the VW shop and bought the spare safe. Not fitting it yet so hope no one is planning on stealing until next week.

Last edited:
Hmm after reading all the feedback I am thinking that I ought to carry a spare, that it should be something quite claggy and old looking that nobody would want to steal and that just to be sure I should fit one of those lock thingies. Perhaps should also spray paint it a didgusting colour just to reduce the appeal of theft even more. The only thing now puzzling me is the whole 'will it fit' issue. Ii seems that I have indeed got 18" rims and presume that I need a spare that is also an 18 incher in order for the van not to be all topsy turvey when it is fitted. However, some posts suggests that there wouldn't be enough clearance to have an underslung wheel of that size. Again puzzled because would have thought it was the width of the wheel/ tyre that matters, not the diameter? All advice welcome, managed to reach the age of 52 without acquiring the slightest bit of tyre dimensional knowledge!

Hmm after reading all the feedback I am thinking that I ought to carry a spare, that it should be something quite claggy and old looking that nobody would want to steal and that just to be sure I should fit one of those lock thingies. Perhaps should also spray paint it a didgusting colour just to reduce the appeal of theft even more. The only thing now puzzling me is the whole 'will it fit' issue. Ii seems that I have indeed got 18" rims and presume that I need a spare that is also an 18 incher in order for the van not to be all topsy turvey when it is fitted. However, some posts suggests that there wouldn't be enough clearance to have an underslung wheel of that size. Again puzzled because would have thought it was the width of the wheel/ tyre that matters, not the diameter? All advice welcome, managed to reach the age of 52 without acquiring the slightest bit of tyre dimensional knowledge!
The Total Diameter of Tyre + Wheel will be the same whether you have a 18" or 17" wheel diameter.

If you just want a " Get you to nearest Tyre Shop " Spare then a 17" wheel with appropriate tyre will do.
If you want a " Carry on Driving " spare then you should fit an 18" wheel + tyre.

The Total Diameter of Tyre + Wheel will be the same whether you have a 18" or 17" wheel diameter.

If you just want a " Get you to nearest Tyre Shop " Spare then a 17" wheel with appropriate tyre will do.
If you want a " Carry on Driving " spare then you should fit an 18" wheel + tyre.
Aaah that's clearer,that up for me.... thanks!

Back