Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SpareSafe alternative if you have a Tow Bar

H

HarveyMilners

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Does anyone know what the alternative spare wheel locking solution is if you have the optional tow bar on a 6.1?

On the club shop it says neither the SpareSafe or the Spare Wheel Security Bolt Spare Wheel Security Bolt will work if you have a tow bar (or tow bar prep?). I've tried to contact the shop a couple of times but not had a response. If anyone knows that would be great.

Does anyone know what the alternative spare wheel locking solution is if you have the optional tow bar on a 6.1?

On the club shop it says neither the SpareSafe or the Spare Wheel Security Bolt Spare Wheel Security Bolt will work if you have a tow bar (or tow bar prep?). I've tried to contact the shop a couple of times but not had a response. If anyone knows that would be great.
Don’t understand that? My t6.1 has the factory fitted removable towbar and I have fitted a Sparesafe.

Spare safe and tow bar work fine on mine. Is this to do with actual towing as I only use my tow bar for a bike rack? You could always use a locking wheel nut.

We have t6 with fixed towbar and have a spare safe. We tow a trailer aswell.

We’ve got the removeable towbar as well and saw on the site that it said to contact them if you’ve got a towbar. I did and in fairness they responded and told me I just needed a shorter security bolt and told me to put a note on the order form that I had a towbar. However the bolt they sent was too short and wouldn’t catch a thread. So they sent me a longer one after I told them, as long as I returned the shorter one. Felt out of pocket in the end because it cost about £5 to post the security bolt back. And I forgot to put the membership code in my order for the 5% discount (the order had a few other bits too). I asked for the discount retrospectively but never got it! But the Sparesafe fits fine with the factory towbar.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, I’ve gone ahead and ordered one ready for when the new van arrives.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, I’ve gone ahead and ordered one ready for when the new van arrives.
I ordered the carrier on Friday after speaking with the club shop. They said to put a note on the order that I have a tow bar, so will see what turns up.

Have you sourced a spare wheel/tyre yet..? Any recommendations where to get one..?

I ordered the carrier on Friday after speaking with the club shop. They said to put a note on the order that I have a tow bar, so will see what turns up.

Have you sourced a spare wheel/tyre yet..? Any recommendations where to get one..?
eBay, local VW Dealership may have steel wheels , Campervan converters often put new wheels on.
All you need is a 17” steel wheel with a Asymmetric tyre.

Back