Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CampervanBits Sparesafe spare wheel theft protection

Hi Kev, just placing an order, slightly confused about where the 5% comes in; is it already accounted for in my order below?

Product Total
SpareSafe - VW T5 California Spare Wheel Locking Device (inc Locking Wheel Bolt) × 1 £54.00
VW California Bellows Bungee × 1 £12.99
VW California Club Official Car Sticker × 1 £1.99
Subtotal £68.98

You need to put the vip code found in the vip lounge in the coupon code box at the checkout then it will take of 5% off the total order

Cheers Kev, you are putting in the overtime tonight :D

Yes the wife does keep on at me to do more at home rather than being on here lol

I forgot put the VIP code in my order...:confused:

email us our order number and we can do it manually for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have refunded you your vip discount :thumb

I already have a locking bolt I bought from SMG, do I just order the sparesafe on its own?

We are now stocking the sparesafe locking wheel device and the locking spare wheel bolt
In the club shop. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/spare-wheel-theft-protection

After having two spares stolen now one with the factory fitted bolt and one with the VW locking spare wheel bolt (the bolt was stolen too), how does the sparesafe and locking bolt work ? Without some little XXXX buying a bolt and key on ebay and nicking £280 worth of wheel and steel trim ?

If someone comes geared up with bolt cutters for the chain, if fitted and a set of the security sockets for the security bolt then they'll take your wheel, even if the Spare Safe is fitted.
However, if you have the Spare Safe fitted and some little opportunistic scrote turns up with a mole wrench to undo your security bolt then he can't.
Most thefts are opportunistic and not pre planned to any significant degree.

In the worst case that should be covered by the inssurance, isn't?

These have finally arrived today, we are really sorry for the delay which was out of our control.

All outstanding orders are currently being packed and you should receive a confirmation within the next few hours.

It probably would be covered by insurance BUT it does depend on any voluntary excess you may have and it would count as a claim against you're No Claims Discount unfortunately.

I received my sparesafe recently and found it very easy to fit and is a nice visual deterrent. I am not convinced it would stop a prepared thief out to get wheels though. I appreciate anyone determined enough could get a wheel eventually.

My Dad just had a £550 spare alloy stolen from his brand new L200, despite paying extra for the Mitisubishi security plate and device. This has really brought home how vulnerable our spares are on the outside of the vehicle.

It will definitely deter someone randomly out with the right size socket but is still prone to cutters and a couple of readily available tools that would work on the style of locking nut provided.

I still feel I need to add something extra to really be sure. Any suggestions, have you added anything extra?

Four things I will be doing;

Adding a lock to the front of the cage as this is reported as another weak spot.

Painting the wheel and tyre to make its resale value lower, Eg "Stolen" all over it.

And using a Smart Water kit, £15, which has a 100% conviction rate.

Adding a £4 vibration alarm like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lock-Bicy...187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa245f643
I have one on my bike and it's very good for the money. Works on me every time!

On top of the spare safe, this should tell most sensible tooled up thieves to try their luck elsewhere.
What a pain though, but remember that insurance won't help you as WelshGas rightly states.

Anyone know of a Sparesafe failure so far?

Last edited:
The standard locking bolt will not fit the sparesafe, you need to ensure that you have the locking bolt for an alloy wheel which is a little longer, as I found out to my cost!
Got sparesafe at COTF and got locking bolt from VW dealer (ZGB 701071592E) it's too short. Description says for steel wheel but I have an alloy spare. Dealer says there isn't a long one, is this true? Can anyone tell me and if so do they happen to know the part no? Thank you!:thumb

I bought mine from sparesafe direct and asked for the longer bolt, but when it arrived it was the same length as the one I already had on the cage.
After much twiddling it fitted though.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

The one we sell in the shop is long enough to be used either on its own or with the sparesafe. The one VW supplies now only just about turns on the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Martin, I may have to do this but I have also PM'd Snowy55 as there is a pic of his on another thread and it looks like he has the VW locking bolt. I'm not that bothered but would prefer to save a journey and/or postage if possible.:)

Back