Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparesafe ugly?

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
There seems to be one accessory that members of this forum universally agree is a good idea - the spare wheel Sparesafe. So I went to buy one in the club shop this evening, but the photos got me thinking: is this an ugly bit of red metal with a yellow logo that I’m going to see every time I look at the back of the van?

The factory black bolts are visible if you look, but easy to not see. Is everyone driving around with this red thing highly visible, or is it not really that visible, has anyone re sprayed theirs black ?

Also: with a steel spare, are they that desirable and is it worth the cost/ugliness of the Sparesafe?

Thanks!

There seems to be one accessory that members of this forum universally agree is a good idea - the spare wheel Sparesafe. So I went to buy one in the club shop this evening, but the photos got me thinking: is this an ugly bit of red metal with a yellow logo that I’m going to see every time I look at the back of the van?

The factory black bolts are visible if you look, but easy to not see. Is everyone driving around with this red thing highly visible, or is it not really that visible, has anyone re sprayed theirs black ?

Also: with a steel spare, are they that desirable and is it worth the cost/ugliness of the Sparesafe?

Thanks!
Sprayed mine silver but only because the red paint was flaking and I only had silver Hammerite !
Never got too excited about the aesthetics of the underside but having a red Sparesafe seems a good deterrent.

Thanks!
Sprayed mine black.
Yes, wheel and new tyre is desirable to the ****holes of this world.

E8BD9CD2-3598-4C25-919A-0248DCEBED77.jpeg

Got it - thank you all!

I have ordered and will also plan to spray it black

Ours flaked red paint after a few years paint yellow as had some. Think that visually a colour to stand out rather black will highlight it has added surcurity to space wheel.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I'm put off by the high cost of shipping to Switzerland (about the same as the kit itself) otherwise it looks like a good idea.

If you have a spare (pun intended) one of these kicking around it will serve same purpose and be visually more appealing
McGard Black Edition Security Locking Wheel Bolts 27181SUB 159 views today
It doesn't serve the same purpose! I could get mole grips / pliers on that bolt & undo it in seconds. The rotating sleeve doesn't cover the whole of the head of the bolt.

You need one of those + a spare safe to protect it.

I don't understand what the problem is visually, half the vans have a tow bar sticking out looking far worse, lots have an ugly bike rack. The aesthetics of a spare safe would be the least of my worries.

It doesn't serve the same purpose! I could get mole grips / pliers on that bolt & undo it in seconds. The rotating sleeve doesn't cover the whole of the head of the bolt.

You need one of those + a spare safe to protect it.

I don't understand what the problem is visually, half the vans have a tow bar sticking out looking far worse, lots have an ugly bike rack. The aesthetics of a spare safe would be the least of my worries.
Thread is probably not long enough anyway. However this is specifically designed for the purpose of securing the spare with a rotating collar to prevent mole grip attack.

A rotating collar doesn't stop a decent pair of grips, just means you have to squeeze a bit harder.

All those bolts are really designed to work on an alloy wheel where the bolt head is sunk into a recess in the face of the wheel.

Put them anywhere where the whole head is exposed & they are pretty much useless.

The spare safe replicates the recess in a wheel & protects the bolt head.

I switched a nearly worn out tyre onto my steel spare wheel. I figure it has no value so presuming no one is going to try to pinch it. Unless there is an alloy under there I don’t see the point,

I switched a nearly worn out tyre onto my steel spare wheel. I figure it has no value so presuming no one is going to try to pinch it. Unless there is an alloy under there I don’t see the point,
You‘ll have to park it at Legoland to test that theory!

Last edited:
It's bright red to be deliberately conspicuous and act as a deterrent. High quality bike locks are often bright yellow.

A rotating collar doesn't stop a decent pair of grips, just means you have to squeeze a bit harder.

All those bolts are really designed to work on an alloy wheel where the bolt head is sunk into a recess in the face of the wheel.

Put them anywhere where the whole head is exposed & they are pretty much useless.

The spare safe replicates the recess in a wheel & protects the bolt head.
I‘ve read this before and thought I’d test the the theory with my molegrips. Result: However much I tightened the molegrips, the collar still span. So in my test you would need more than molegrips. A battery angle grinder would do it

I‘ve read this before and thought I’d test the the theory with my molegrips. Result: However much I tightened the molegrips, the collar still span. So in my test you would need more than molegrips. A battery angle grinder would do it
Well an angle grinder would evade whatever lock was used entirely, by cutting through the frame, so releasing the spare. Pretty sure a rotating collar bolt will foil most casual/opportunistic thieves.