Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spark plug #4 defect

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Hello,

We own a VW T6 Cali 2017 1968cc 145.000 kms and we plan to leave on holiday tomorrow. Just today the engine warning sign came on (yellow light, not flashing).

I had it checked and the mechanic tells me that sprak plug #4 is not functioning well and it needs to be replaced. But I am told it takes 3 working hours.
So they advice me to leave on holiday and have it replaced in one month. They told me it will cause us no problems at all as it is only needed in freezing temperatures. We will drive south, in hot temperatures.

Do you think we can safely go on holiday?
Thank you for helping !

Bart

Hello,

We own a VW T6 Cali 2017 1968cc 145.000 kms and we plan to leave on holiday tomorrow. Just today the engine warning sign came on (yellow light, not flashing).

I had it checked and the mechanic tells me that sprak plug #4 is not functioning well and it needs to be replaced. But I am told it takes 3 working hours.
So they advice me to leave on holiday and have it replaced in one month. They told me it will cause us no problems at all as it is only needed in freezing temperatures. We will drive south, in hot temperatures.

Do you think we can safely go on holiday?
Thank you for helping !

Bart
If you are confident in the mechanics diagnosis, then Yes.
The Glowplug ( spark plug ) is used to pre-heat the cylinder when starting , to enable easier starting, when the engine temperature is low eg: in cold weather.
It would not be used during hot weather but the engine computer would be checking its function at each start.

Okay, thank you. That sounds reassuring.

Bart

As long as it is just a defective glow plug you will be fine driving it like that for months, if you loose another one you will find starting the engine to be a bit harder if the weather gets cold.

Useless related fact: The landrover Td5 engines only have 4 glowplugs despite having 5 cylinders

my heater plug light was on for a couple of years - think it was no. 2, it was seized in the thread so was going to be a pig of a job to change it. Where I live, temps rarely drop below freezing so I never noticed any hesitance when starting, the only problem was the yearly Spanish vehicle inspection - any engine warning light is an automatic fail, so I had my garage reset the light each time, it would stay off long enough to pass the inspection lol

I did get it changed eventually - front of the van had to come off to make space for the extractor tool….

Had the same problem at the far side of France, the
Vw service garage read the fault and told me not to
worry until I was back home.

Got it fixed about 3 weeks later, and I think they replaced
the full set. Not just the faulty one.

Back