Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spec'd Up and Ready to Order (almost)...

RetroRed5

RetroRed5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Howdy,

After getting some good advice on the "Introduce Yourself" forum I've settled on a spec, sent it to the dealer who has priced things up for me; I'm waiting of a test drive next week of a 4MOTION model before making a final decision; for those interested, here is the spec I've selected...

• California Ocean 2.0 BiTDI 204PS EU6 StopStart
  • BlueMotion DSG Low Roof 4Motion
  • Two-tone - Candy White-Cherry Red
  • 17in Alloy Wheels - Cascavel Anthracite
  • Alcantara - Moonrock Grey
  • Decorative Insert Dark Brushed Silver Decorative Strip in Lower Outside Body Colour
  • Bellow Colour of Pop-Up Roof - Strawberry Red
  • Cupboard with Dark Wood Trim-With Outdoor Shower Connection
  • Comfort Lighting
  • Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
  • LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights
  • Side Scan with Cruise Control
  • Laminated Glass Package in Cab
  • Leather Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
  • Multi-function Display Premium with Multi-colour Display and Driver Alert System
  • Discover Media Navigation System Plus
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors
  • Electric Sliding Door - Drivers Side
  • Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat
  • High Beam Assist
  • Awning - Silver Rail and Housing
  • Alloy Spare Wheel with Original Equipment Tyre
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Central Locking - 4 Remote Folding Keys
  • Mud Flaps - Front and Rear
  • Lockable Storage Compartment
  • Privacy Glass with Heat Insulation
Plus some dealer fit options...
  • Chrome Effect Protection Strip On Tailgate
  • Stainless Steel Effect Rear Bumper Protector
  • Door Sill Guards
  • Angled Side Chrome Bars
  • Paint Protection, Quartz
  • Rear Tints To Limousine
I welcome any comments and would be interested to know the spec of what others ordered when they purchased their Cali.

Cheers.

Just ordered much the same but blue/white/blue bellows. First year tax is a bit steep. Didn't go for electric sliding door as advised it's either open or shut at night. Only 2 keys (may live to regret). Went for Squire Side Bar, didn't go for safe coz of room it takes up, "Exciting"

Indeed, very exciting for sure and we aint even placed the order yet ;)

I agree on tax, very unfair in my opinion.

Having hired VW T6's for years for holidays (not the Cali), we found that even with power latching our youngest has trouble sometimes opening/closing the side door hence we opted for the electric door option. Are you saying that when the door is electric, it has to be either fully open or fully closed and so it can't be partially open?

The safe was simply a better way to store some stuff while out and about and the Cali is parked up; it may prove to be a waste of money but time will tell.

The white over blue does look awesome and I very nearly chose the same but white over red just pipped it for us.

So you placed your order then, did the dealer give you a timescale for delivery or are you still waiting to hear?

Re sliding door that was the advice we were given so gave it a miss, others may be able to advise on sliding door option better than a newbe like me.

Like wise re colour, initially ordered the lighter blue then changed order to, white/blue/blue bellows

Suggested Nov but as long as we get it for next spring we're not that concerned on delivery time

I'll ask on these forums about the electric doors, thanks for the heads-up.

So about a 6 month lead-time, that's not so bad; much like you, our plan is to place an order soon and not too concerned about delivery so long as it is here before March'ish of next year.

Not sure but I think dealers only have a certain amount of allocated build slots, something to check up on may be

Howdy,

After getting some good advice on the "Introduce Yourself" forum I've settled on a spec, sent it to the dealer who has priced things up for me; I'm waiting of a test drive next week of a 4MOTION model before making a final decision; for those interested, here is the spec I've selected...

• Decorative Insert Dark Brushed Silver Decorative Strip in Lower Outside Body Colour
  • Comfort Lighting
  • Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
  • Leather Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
  • Multi-function Display Premium with Multi-colour Display and Driver Alert System
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • High Beam Assist
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Door Sill Guards
I welcome any comments and would be interested to know the spec of what others ordered when they purchased their Cali.

Cheers.
Limo tint is an interesting option for a mobile home that will be looking out on marvellous views all the time.
Whilst very useful to prevent celebs being recognised whilst in transit why reduce the view out to that level?

I didn't actually ask for "Limo" tints as such, I asked the dealer if they can apply some darker tints than the factory option (actually on top of the factory tint) to give us a little more privacy without having to close the blinds and they added the "Limo Tint"; I've opted for this based on watching a video by "California Camping" (search on YouTube); they ordered their Cali with no tints so they could add darker tints after taking delivery and in one of their videos they demonstrated how good they are; from the outside looking in you can hardly see anything but from the inside looking out the view was still pretty clear.

Although having said that, I see your point for sure, I'd not really thought about us "looking out" but more considered other people "looking in"; what we may do is order just with factory tints and try it for a few trips and if we still feel they are not quite dark enough we can always add more tinting after.

You a can see through the van with the standard privacy, so you can see silhouettes, not so much in it. If you close a blind on one side it is difficult to see in from the opposite side.

We’ve often been sitting in the back of the van and people have been peering in, not realising we were inside! :D

I didn't actually ask for "Limo" tints as such, I asked the dealer if they can apply some darker tints than the factory option (actually on top of the factory tint) to give us a little more privacy without having to close the blinds and they added the "Limo Tint"; I've opted for this based on watching a video by "California Camping" (search on YouTube); they ordered their Cali with no tints so they could add darker tints after taking delivery and in one of their videos they demonstrated how good they are; from the outside looking in you can hardly see anything but from the inside looking out the view was still pretty clear.

Although having said that, I see your point for sure, I'd not really thought about us "looking out" but more considered other people "looking in"; what we may do is order just with factory tints and try it for a few trips and if we still feel they are not quite dark enough we can always add more tinting after.

I have a "Limo" tint ..... by accident.

I wanted 20% darker than factory tint but communication got somewhat "blurred" between me and the tinting man. I went with it on the grounds it can be "undone" if I couldn't live with it.

On a sunny day it's amazing how much you can see out of it. If I really wanted to stare at the view I would open the window anyway, or even sit outside. However on a less than sunny day it can be rather gloomy inside.

The view out of the rear view is severely limited though, although it is also severely limited if you have the head rests raised, have left the "airline locker" door hanging down, or not raised the rear blind when setting off!

Upsides? The main one most definitely is privacy. Especially useful on an Aire where your next door neighbours are about three foot away from you. Privacy also when parked up in a busy place and you don't really want to shut the blinds when it's only just gone lunchtime.

I am still in two minds, but definitely not found it as bad as I expected. I do use a lot of Aires, I do often find myself parked up in busy places, even on a caravan club site surrounded by a large group of people with lots of awnings, tables and chairs outside and kids running about taking shortcuts over my pitch I felt very private and have found the gains far more than expected.

hehe, I bet they get a bit of a shock when they realise there are a couple of folk staring back at them :talktothehand

My main motivation for wanting the darker tints is down to security more than anything else; when we are tripping away and the Cali is loaded with all of our stuff, the tints will just help prevent people peering in to see if there is anything worth taking.

Oh dear, getting Limo tints by accident could have been a pain; although by the sounds of it it hasn't worked out too bad.

BTW, what is an "Aire"?

The van I bought had the "green insulated glass option" (2018 standard?); as it was bought as dealer stock ordered, I was a little uncertain how strong the the tint was. As it turned out the "tint" was quite strong but no where near the current privacy glass fitted to VW group cars. It slightly restricted view in but view out was very clear. We left it a couple of months to see if it was what we wanted, but decided we needed a stronger tint. Went for a 80% (medium) tint film (one down from limo) and its worked just perfect. From outside looks limo but from inside a good view and not too dark at all. I have been in recent cars where limo film had been applied and it's DARK. Doing it again I would do the same again if that's any help.

yup, that's helpful, thanks; maybe we'd be better with the 80% medium tint rather than Limo; cheers :thumb

hehe, I bet they get a bit of a shock when they realise there are a couple of folk staring back at them :talktothehand

My main motivation for wanting the darker tints is down to security more than anything else; when we are tripping away and the Cali is loaded with all of our stuff, the tints will just help prevent people peering in to see if there is anything worth taking.
If you need to leave stuff out then just drop the blinds when parking and leaving the van. The offside rear blind can be left down all the time as there is no one there to look out of it! Additionally, when the cooker and sink lids are up you get extra privacy.

There’s nothing much to see in ours when we leave it, anything valuable is taken out, or stowed out of sight. Some bedding in the back maybe is all that’s visible.

You could argue, though, that it’s best to let potential thieves see in so they know there’s nothing worth stealing.

Even without the safe, there are secure places to hide thin laptops and tablets, credit cards etc., such as under the roof on the mattress. I would worry more about the van itself! :D

Here’s ours with standard privacy, if you look closely you can see the kitchen lids are up.
6DDB7B80-37B4-4C43-B2F7-02957420D5C0.jpeg

Howdy,

• Comfort Lighting
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • High Beam Assist
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Door Sill Guards

Cheers.

Looks like really good specs. I would suggest you have a look at one of the YouTube videos with red bellows. It looks fantastic from outside but IMO gives a really strange light inside. I have noticed the same in hiking tents and would personally avoid it for that reason.
Good luck with the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy,

• Comfort Lighting
  • Chrome Pack
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Fuel Tank 80 Litre
  • High Beam Assist
  • Magnetic Flashlight
  • Door Sill Guards

Cheers.
Hi I like your spec (my personal views below)
I will be going for the privacy glass option - seen it on a demo and it’s a good balance between letting light in and privacy.
I prefer manual door - again dealer advised one less thing to go wrong and with power latching not needed (in their opinion).
Awning housing in black ( again I’ve compared both side by side and the silver is a Matt finish and in my humble opinion black looks better - although before comparing I would have said silver and suggest you ask to see both at dealer)
Re wheels - again a very personal choice but the caravelle alloys (white with hub caps) look fantastic if a bit pricey at 2-2.5k - that said your spec will push the pre discount price to well over the 70k mark.
Finally my company car has dynamic chassis control and again personally I can’t tell the difference.

Hope that help

Greg

Thanks Greg, all opinions/views are helpful :thumb

Are you in the process of buying a Cali too?

We are going for a silver awning simply because it looks less harsh against the Candy White top; personally I'd prefer if they could colour match the awning to the car.

Regarding the wheels, are you referring to those that were on the special edition "Generation Six" Caravelle that was produced late 2015/early 2016, those that were a white alloy with an oversized chrome effect centre cap? Those wheels look fantastic, kind of retro but modern at the same time, I wasn't even aware you could get them for a Cali; they are not available in the online config tool nor in any dealer accessory catalogue; how do I get these?

Thanks.

Oh dear, getting Limo tints by accident could have been a pain; although by the sounds of it it hasn't worked out too bad.

BTW, what is an "Aire"?

Permissive overnight parking places for motorhomes. Very common across the channel but not so common over here. They can range from zero facilities to EHU, water and other facilities and cost nothing to a few euro's. Mostly for overnight or two nights max. Upsides is easy to just turn up, park, get some sleep and move on next day, downsides is your neighbours tend to be rather close.

This is a pic of a rather nice Aire I found myself on in Belgium a couple of weeks ago.

alfie-langemarke2.jpg

Thanks for the explanation; you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here, I'm a total newbie.

Is yours the two-tone Cali? Looks very nice ;)

:thanks

Thanks for the explanation; you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here, I'm a total newbie.

Is yours the two-tone Cali? Looks very nice ;)

:thanks

No need to apologise, we were all new to it once. It's not just a lifestyle, it's life itself so knowing as much as possible is a serious business :shocked

Yes, Alfie is White/dark grey, before him was Albert, olympian blue

This is another, not an Aire, but a car park where no one minds overnighting campers .... a bit spectacular ...

IMG_0154.jpg