Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spectacular Pop Top Canvas Leak

No, I concluded it was not a fault. It’s the first time it’s leaked significantly in 2 years of full time use. I think if I had parked with the back end facing the wind it would not have been as bad. It’s a single layer tent and all tents like this leak in my experience.
@Moakesy had his Cali ceramic coated, and the tent treated the same as the interior at the same time. I presume that improves the waterproofing

Same issue - leaking front section in heavy rain with wind

please could someone point me towards purcer website can’t seem to find it perhaps mispelt

thanks
I’ve just bought a Polar Wrap for £150, with £3 postage.
Looks good, of camping today in Swanage with the 5 day forecast being wet and windy. Pleased this has arrived in time.
Will report back after the week to see how it copes.

15B10AEA-C3E6-496B-BE31-EA418CA13C73.jpeg

Looks good, of camping today in Swanage with the 5 day forecast being wet and windy. Pleased this has arrived in time.

View attachment 68304
Thanks that looks good. Swanage good place to test with theses strong southerlies!

We have a Pucer screen and not 100% happy with it to be honest , main reason is it takes up a lot if room to store, makes it too dark upstairs and you need to be tall ( or carry a ladder ) to put it on. Currently looking at other options

We have a Pucer screen and not 100% happy with it to be honest , main reason is it takes up a lot if room to store, makes it too dark upstairs and you need to be tall ( or carry a ladder ) to put it on. Currently looking at other options

I have been thinking of a pucer screen too but this is exactly my concern. I am just not tall enough to be able to put it on without climbing on something and risk falling causing injury!
Will be interested to see what you decide on Annik.

I have been thinking of a pucer screen too but this is exactly my concern. I am just not tall enough to be able to put it on without climbing on something and risk falling causing injury!
Stand to be corrected but any external cover/screen will give you the same issues. I guess an internal screen is your only option or but the top bed ladder to use.

Stand to be corrected but any external cover/screen will give you the same issues. I guess an internal screen is your only option or but the top bed ladder to use.
Typo - Buy not but

Maybe try washing your Cali on a hot wash.
Mine appears to have shrunk...

E3D25387-C7A3-430B-99D8-83343F0C87D3.jpeg

Being 6’8” (2.03m) tall it’s not an issue fitting these, but I can understand for normal people this can cause a problem.
Whilst you may not be able to fit one of these with ease, just think how big the bed is for you compared to me! ;)

View attachment 68307

Being 6’8” (2.03m) tall it’s not an issue fitting these, but I can understand for normal people this can cause a problem.
Whilst you may not be able to fit one of these with ease, just think how big the bed is for you compared to me! ;)
That extra 15 inches makes a big difference!!!

View attachment 68307

But you are cheating.
You are taller than me (I am only 1,95m), but you lowered your van too!

I do have a topper that I use mostly in winter, but I have spent many nights in torrential rain with wind and never experienced any beading of water whatsoever inside the canvas bellows on my 2014 Cali. The worst I have seen is a slightly damp appearance where the bellows touches the side rams.

View attachment 68304

Hi @Bigted -- how have you found this Polar Wrap? Looks good in the photo.

Again might you point me to the website please? I get lots of irrelevant results on a simple search

thanks ever so much

Hi @Bigted -- how have you found this Polar Wrap? Looks good in the photo.

Again might you point me to the website please? I get lots of irrelevant results on a simple search

thanks ever so much
Site is http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/

We’ve been impressed with the wrap. Warm and dry upstairs in some fairly wet and windy conditions this week.

I’ll post a proper review and some better photos later, once I get back to a proper device.
Nice snap from this week though.

199ADA49-9585-4F81-ACCE-957CC1756256.jpeg

D97AB913-9E94-4A87-9C48-0AB2134D5037.jpegA9C01034-F013-4046-A318-16016248A9B1.jpeg795FFE15-6FC2-4DE8-A501-51D21CC557F2.jpeg

As promised, here’s a few more snaps showing it keeping the roof dry and some thoughts.

We had a 5 days near Swanage over half term (Oct) and we’re met with wind and rain throughout most of the week.
We were keen to get a wrap ahead of the trip.
Following some measuring of our roof, we sent the details off to Minster and our pop top wrap was dispatched quickly.
Not sure they are setup with templates for a Cali, so they preferred the measurements and it fits well.
The roof space felt considerably warmer than our companions Cali, with near blackout in the mornings.
The rain and wind did it’s best to muck up our setup, resulting in our awning from having issues, but wrap held fine with its Velcro fastenings at the rear.
Upon removing the wrap, the canvas was dry.

Pro’s.
Good quality.
Thermal, blackout and waterproof properties.
Cost.
Carry bag that’s generously sized for it to fit in.

Bespoke fitting (not sure if this is a pro or a con!!)

Con’s.
Only black or silver colours.
No windows.
Large piece of material, need to work out where to store it.

For our needs we’re really pleased with it and will be using it to extend our camping season all year round. I know the lack of windows maybe an issue for some, but there are plenty of other companies who can address this need.
Not sure we’ll take it with us each trip, but it will be interesting to see what it’s like in the summer to keep the top cool.

Reactions: Sad

View attachment 68307

Crikey. Can you come round and put my clock right?

View attachment 68925View attachment 68926View attachment 68927

As promised, here’s a few more snaps showing it keeping the roof dry and some thoughts.

We had a 5 days near Swanage over half term (Oct) and we’re met with wind and rain throughout most of the week.
We were keen to get a wrap ahead of the trip.
Following some measuring of our roof, we sent the details off to Minster and our pop top wrap was dispatched quickly.
Not sure they are setup with templates for a Cali, so they preferred the measurements and it fits well.
The roof space felt considerably warmer than our companions Cali, with near blackout in the mornings.
The rain and wind did it’s best to muck up our setup, resulting in our awning from having issues, but wrap held fine with its Velcro fastenings at the rear.
Upon removing the wrap, the canvas was dry.

Pro’s.
Good quality.
Thermal, blackout and waterproof properties.
Cost.
Carry bag that’s generously sized for it to fit in.

Bespoke fitting (not sure if this is a pro or a con!!)

Con’s.
Only black or silver colours.
No windows.
Large piece of material, need to work out where to store it.

For our needs we’re really pleased with it and will be using it to extend our camping season all year round. I know the lack of windows maybe an issue for some, but there are plenty of other companies who can address this need.
Not sure we’ll take it with us each trip, but it will be interesting to see what it’s like in the summer to keep the top cool.
Hi Big Ted, are you still pleased with this? What size is it when packed? Our Purcer screen is great but not wearing well - the silver foil is rubbing off.

Hi Big Ted, are you still pleased with this? What size is it when packed? Our Purcer screen is great but not wearing well - the silver foil is rubbing off.
9B53AA6B-72B5-422B-9CC3-C463B81A3B57.jpeg
It’s not a small item, as there’s quite a bit of material. It came with a generously sized bag with a draw string.
It’s not something that lives in the van for day to day, but both this and the screen wrap get dumped on the rear shelf as we head out. As a result of the ample space I’ve not felt the need to compress it it wedge it into a tight cubby hole such as in by the seats.
Hope the picture helps.

Wear wise, I can’t comment as we’ve not ventured out since.

View attachment 70720
It’s not a small item, as there’s quite a bit of material. It came with a generously sized bag with a draw string.
It’s not something that lives in the van for day to day, but both this and the screen wrap get dumped on the rear shelf as we head out. As a result of the ample space I’ve not felt the need to compress it it wedge it into a tight cubby hole such as in by the seats.
Hope the picture helps.

Wear wise, I can’t comment as we’ve not ventured out since.
Thanks for this. Darren from Purcer screens has just emailed saying he's had a faulty batch so I've got a new screen coming in the post! Great service!

In 7/18 I bought a 2014 Beach from a German VW dealer. By then it had passed from being a demo to being a dealer owned multi purpose run about. Both upstairs mattress and downstairs comfort mattress were still wrapped in plastic, as were the front window curtains, the reading lamp and the the two second row captain's chairs. I don't believe the roof had ever been raised outdoors.

Within a month I took it to Scotland for 5 weeks. The first time we had driving rain and wind (no topper), water beaded and ran down the interior of the tent. I had read up about it here on the forum, should have sprayed it with a hose before leaving to "cure" it, but the fact is, that was the last time. I've since been in driving rain many times, and not a drop comes through the canvas, only the top vents if the wind is at the wrong angle. Water beads on the outside of the canvas, and a quick swipe with a microfiber towel is all that is needed to close the roof.

To me it is apparent that this was not a problem for the material used on the T5.1, but cost cutting has been applied to newer versions with these results. I never use a topper or interior Isotop, just turn the air heater on. I've been at -17 in the Pyrenees with the roof up, and have lowered the upper bed and slept downstairs with the sliding roof door half open to provide ventilation through the roof vents with the windows closed (no one sleeping upstairs). This seems to be one thing that VW got right, and then decided to cheapen the materials with the results seen on this thread. The tent is not transparent at night with a light on inside, and I can easily sleep in in the morning upstairs in the dark until I open a window in the canvas for light.

Last edited:
In 7/18 I bought a 2014 Beach from a German VW dealer. By then it had passed from being a demo to being a dealer owned multi purpose run about. Both upstairs mattress and downstairs comfort mattress were still wrapped in plastic, as were the front window curtains, the reading lamp and the the two second row captain's chairs. I don't believe the roof had ever been raised outdoors.

Within a month I took it to Scotland for 5 weeks. The first time we had driving rain and wind (no topper), water beaded and ran down the interior of the tent. I had read up about it here on the forum, should have sprayed it with a hose before leaving to "cure" it, but the fact is, that was the last time. I've since been in driving rain many times, and not a drop comes through the canvas, only the top vents if the wind is at the wrong angle.

To me it is apparent that this was not a problem for the material used on the T5.1, but cost cutting has been applied to newer versions with these results. I never use a topper or interior Isotop, just turn the air heater on. I've been at -17 in the Pyrenees with the roof up, and have lowered the upper bed and slept downstairs with the sliding roof door half open to provide ventilation through the roof vents with the windows closed (no one sleeping upstairs). This seems to be one thing that VW got right, and then decided to cheapen the materials with the results seen on this thread. The tent is not transparent at night with a light on inside, and I can easily sleep in in the morning upstairs in the dark until I open a window in the canvas for light.
Agreed my 2010 canvas has never leaked even in torrential rain, when you wash the Cali also rinse the canvas with clean water to keep it waterproof.

Back