Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit in Spain. Motorhome or car

B

brucetnw

VIP Member
Speed limit in Spain. Motorhome or car.
Is the California classed as a car or motorhome with regard to the speed limit in Spain?
Regards Bruce

Speed limit in Spain. Motorhome or car.
Is the California classed as a car or motorhome with regard to the speed limit in Spain?
Regards Bruce
Your V5c should say M1 Diesel Car, that is the base vehicle.

Your V5c should say M1 Diesel Car, that is the base vehicle.
Thank you for the reply. I have a 2012 California and on the V5c I’m classed as a motor caravan not diesel car?

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2012 California and on the V5c I’m classed as a motor caravan not diesel car?
That should be Body Type - Motor Caravan
You should also have Vehicle Category M1 which basically is a Car carrying upto 8 passengers.

That should be Body Type - Motor Caravan
You should also have Vehicle Category M1 which basically is a Car carrying upto 8 passengers.
Interesting. My vehicle category is blank!

The question made me search re speed limits as I knew they had changed. California less than 3.5 tonnes. Maybe this will help.

Quote from this web site: "After the changes outside the built-up area on roads with one lane, the limit for passenger cars, motorcycles and buses is 90 km/h. So far, the maximum permitted speed was 100 km/h. Other vehicles, i.e. trucks, vans, campers with a weight of more than 3.5 tonnes, can travel up to 80 km/h on these roads. "

But the RAC site gives more confussing info:
Vehicle derived from a car, mixed vehicle, bus, coach and Motorhome up to 3,500 kg Motorways and Dual Carriageways 100Km/hr
Roads with more than one lane in each direction 90
Ordinary roads 80
whereas car are higher.

Last edited:
Question - do the Spanish (& other) authorities care what the UK deemed body type classification is? Or do they classify the vehicles based upon their own rules?

If they do take note of UK classifications then would this not mean different speed limits for a UK-registered California compared with an otherwise identical Spanish registered California?????

Question - do the Spanish (& other) authorities care what the UK deemed body type classification is? Or do they classify the vehicles based upon their own rules?

If they do take note of UK classifications then would this not mean different speed limits for a UK-registered California compared with an otherwise identical Spanish registered California?????
The speed limit would apply to the vehicle category in that country, ie Spain in this instance. Normally weight based.

Seems to be only in the UK that the same basic vehicle can have different speed limits depending on what it is used for/as.

The speed limit would apply to the vehicle category in that country, ie Spain in this instance. Normally weight based.

Seems to be only in the UK that the same basic vehicle can have different speed limits depending on what it is used for/as.

which depends upon what's written on the registration document.....

so the obvious next question is what's the speed limit in UK for Spanish (etc) vans, campervans....presume their body type on Spanish registration certificates aren't the exact same as UK??

This 'might' clarify but ....

Or this may be more relevant but is a Cali a van or motorhome??
Has been a diesel car for a long time, recently body type MPV.

That’s great thank you everyone for your replies

No, Spain taxes on use. If you buy a transporter for commercial use for your business, no VAT (21%!) and lower yearly tax, but you must pass technical inspection more frequently, and speed limits are lower. If it’s for private use, the same vehicle pays 21% sales tax (new and used), and higher yearly tax, but longer intervals for technical inspection and higher speed limits. Some people do the first to save money, and are sometimes fined for going over the commercial speed limit. Rarely, but it happens. I have my Beach registered as a private car for that reason. Unless your California looks like a builder’s van, you won’t be noticed.

We were charged as a van on Portuguese toll roads.
Just checked in Portugal and I was charged Class 2 (ie not a car but a van) for motorway tolls and bridge tolls (e.g. 25 April bridge Lisbon).

Howe do they differentiate between car and van (or camper...) not sure, but in Croatia anything over 1.80m was class 2 (class 1 is a car). Would not be surprised if this was the bar elsewhere

I have always driven the van as a car and have never been fined (for not going over the maximum allowed speed for cars).
They can never get you on picture if your van stays under 3000 kg, and you don't go over the maximum allowed speed.
The automatic camera can't see what vehicle is passing by if not going too fast.
Things would change with the ANPR camera's where they film everyone, and then check license plate.

Howe do they differentiate between car and van (or camper...) not sure, but in Croatia anything over 1.80m was class 2 (class 1 is a car). Would not be surprised if this was the bar elsewhere

In Portugal Class 2 is a two axel vehicle with a height > 1.1m at the front axel.

Last edited:
I know this isn't Spain but generally people drive there and in France they are moving with technology, extract from info on latest Camera Boxes

This isn’t just a speed camera. These new cameras are multi-functional – dubbed the ‘Cameras of the future’. On top of speeding, they can catch you using your phone, without your seatbelt on, illegally overtaking and tailgating.

This, in addition to driving in lanes you shouldn’t be and running red lights, which some specific cameras do in the UK. Around 400 are being set up throughout France over the course of this year.