Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spiders - How to get rid?

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
My Cali just seems to be a great place for spiders to hand out. I don't get anywhere need so many on my other cars.

Has anyone got any ways of getting rid of them? They are in the mirrors, the awning, all over the bike rack etc. I can get rid of the webs who I wash it, but within 24hr they're all back.

Awaiting your help :)

Poor Charlotte and friends, it's not like they're trying to move in :Nailbiting , just braving the cold and helping to keep beastie numbers down.

While your washing their webs away they are probably having a wee get together, wondering where and when the next big Cali adventure is :bananadance

Use "horse chestnuts""conkers" I know it sounds crazy but here in France thats what they ise to get rid of spiders in houses

John

Use "horse chestnuts""conkers" I know it sounds crazy but here in France thats what they ise to get rid of spiders in houses

John
How? Do you throw the conkers at the spiders as they run across the floor??

Sorry i should have explained, split them open and place in a dish it seems to be the smell. I think but who knows with the French. But still love the people, apart from our next door neighbour who hates everything not French, Sel a vie ???????

Interesting - a few weeks ago I was going to post a question about earwigs. On the last trip before our last jaunt we'd pitched on an earwig nest or something, anyway the drive away awning had some in it. I thought I'd killed em all when we got back but a few days into the last trip we found one on the coolbox and then one in the bed!! Must have climbed out of the drive away which was still in it's bag in the boot. Maybe they had an aversion to being on mainland Europe.

Anyway, after finding these 2 there don't seem to be any more, or maybe we just haven't seen them. Has anyone else had this problem?

On the spider front I had a tiny money spider hanging from the sun visor on the way into town this afternoon. Decided I should leave him be even though he failed me royally on my luck on the lottery last night.

Albert was infested once. I used a flock of spider-eating birds to try and get rid of them ... Jenny wrens of course ....

But my cunning plan went all wrong when they called up their Cousin from the tropics. Gordon the goliath bird eater drove the birds away ...

Lobby - Your post nearly made me want to keep them for a while, but I'm sorry the spray is coming out, I just can't stand by and watch my Cali looking less beautiful :)

Chestnuts do work, but probably not for outdoors. Could try putting some hits near the wing mirrors though....

Flick them out with a stick.
Enjoy the morning dew on the cobwebs!

Sorry i should have explained, split them open and place in a dish it seems to be the smell. I think but who knows with the French.

I have never found the french to smell that bad :shocked

John

+1 for conkers ...

Wife, our sons, their partners and three grandkids just returned from renting an old house up on Loch Awe miles from anywhere else (Glasgow October week - everyone on holiday).

Conkers hung on strings in all the corners of the exposed rafters. Upstairs and downstairs.
No spiders - except in the showers (where there were no conkers, of course).

Isn't science effing wonderful :D

John
My GF hates spiders and her flat was full of conkers in every corner and nook, sorry to report it didn't seem to help, in fact she seems to have some real massive ones after she installed them.

The fact they were there did seem to take her mind of it somewhat, at least until the huge ones showed themselves. ;)

P1080205.JPG It might be a time of year thing - and don't park near gorse bushes :)

My gf insists the conkers did actually work although she may have blanked out the paniced times and me getting rid of some giant ones.

Try something like this.

View attachment 10668

Reviving an old post (again!), but has anyone tried using something like this and did it work? No problem inside the van, and don't mind the odd mascot in the wing mirror, but the tail end/bike rack is infested. Not helped that the Cali is now parked inches from a hedge. Found a few different versions online, with varying degrees of chemicals/oils/'fruity fragrances' etc, but not sure how effective they are outside or if they leave any residue that could damage paintwork/plastics etc?

Reviving an old post (again!), but has anyone tried using something like this and did it work? No problem inside the van, and don't mind the odd mascot in the wing mirror, but the tail end/bike rack is infested. Not helped that the Cali is now parked inches from a hedge. Found a few different versions online, with varying degrees of chemicals/oils/'fruity fragrances' etc, but not sure how effective they are outside or if they leave any residue that could damage paintwork/plastics etc?
That's funny, mine is also home to 12 spiders who can rebuild their webs within 1 day of me wiping them off.

That's funny, mine is also home to 12 spiders who can rebuild their webs within 1 day of me wiping them off.

Yep, they’re hardy souls! I’ve searched around the forum and there’s a couple of threads (see what I did there?!) about it so we’re not the only ones! Including a particularly comical one asking where they could get a replacement spider. Not much on how to successfully get rid from the exterior nooks and crannies though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This works for the ones that hide behind the glass in the wing mirrors and might work on the bike rack. Take an old dish washing liquid bottle and fill it with water and some washing up liquid. Squirt it in the gap until it’s pouring out. Poor wee spidey will come with it. They lose all traction with the soap. All being well they’ll be none the worse for the experience and find another hole to hide in, probably under a kindly placed plate with conkers on it. ;)

Thanks for the tips. Will give it a shot and see how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk